So you want to be called crazy? (aka 50km beginner)

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Re:

Postby Double Bellybuster » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:25 pm

Nick wrote:So, 50K is considered an Ultra?

My understanding is that anything over the 42.195K marathon distance is considered an ultramarathon.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Killerz
Tom Longboat

Re: So you want to be called crazy? (aka 50km beginner)

Postby Killerz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:32 pm

Given the title, this seems to be the apt thread to ask this question:

Water crossings (a la Seaton Trail): Whats the deal with these? Is it difficult to continue running with saturated runners (and socks) on? - I have a pair of gore-tex endowed mizunos.
How deep is the water generally?
Any advice on how best to deal with it?

Thanks

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:52 pm

I find that the water works itself out pretty quickly, and you don't really notice it for long (especially if it's hot out!). I haven't had blisters or anything from creek crossings... just some sloshing for a few minutes and then it dissipates. :) As I said in another thread, I find that wool socks help if you're expecting wet feet!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:30 pm

Killerz wrote:Given the title, this seems to be the apt thread to ask this question:

Water crossings (a la Seaton Trail): Whats the deal with these? Is it difficult to continue running with saturated runners (and socks) on? - I have a pair of gore-tex endowed mizunos.
How deep is the water generally?
Any advice on how best to deal with it?

Thanks

Like ultraslcacker, I haven't had any issues.

Last summer, I did a run with a few crossings on the way in and out, including hip-deep. That was a hot day and it just felt good and refreshing, and then no issues at all. I've also done some shin-deep during a run where it was snowing, and though it's DAMN cold when going through, my feet warmed up quickly. A couple of weeks ago, there weren't creek crossings, but a number of puddles that were shin-deep and 10-15 feet across. Again, no issues (other than being really muddy. ;) )

Trail (and road, I think) shoes tend to drain pretty quickly. Your Gore-Tex shoes *might* drain a little more slowly, but I don't think you'll end up running in saturated runners. I've never run in Gore-Tex shoes, so can't compare.

Do keep in mind, though, that rocks and logs can get pretty slippy in those creeks! Take care when crossing. I tend to prefer to get my feet fully wet by stepping into the deeper water for more solid footing (on the creek bed, smaller rocks) than to risk slipping on the bigger, wet ad partly submerged rocks in an effort to stay more dry. It lets me move faster, too, usually.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Killerz
Tom Longboat

Postby Killerz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:41 pm

Thanks folks. I got a pair of merino wool running socks which I understand are pretty good for the water crossings alright.
Its a whole new world for me. I am ultimately stuck with the trail runners that I have, but I worry a little about drainage and maybe overheating in the particular type I have (Mizuno Arashi... i think thats what theyre called).

Killerz

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:56 pm

Killerz wrote:Thanks folks. I got a pair of merino wool running socks which I understand are pretty good for the water crossings alright.
Its a whole new world for me. I am ultimately stuck with the trail runners that I have, but I worry a little about drainage and maybe overheating in the particular type I have (Mizuno Arashi... i think thats what theyre called).

Killerz

I do remember La trying a Gore-Tex pair last year and finding them hot.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:58 pm

bruyere wrote:
Killerz wrote:Thanks folks. I got a pair of merino wool running socks which I understand are pretty good for the water crossings alright.

Killerz

I do remember La trying a Gore-Tex pair last year and finding them hot.

I have a pair of gore-tex trail runners for winter. I think they would be way to hot for summer.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Killerz
Tom Longboat

Postby Killerz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:53 pm

Unfortunately I'm stuck with them or my road runners (which may also work out okay).
Was out for a 3hr 12min run earlier and really felt it in the heat (altho there may have been some hangover from ATB aswell in my legs). The long trail runs are going to be very tough for me, especially if its hot. Finishing is the target, methinks!

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:07 pm

Does anyone have what a 100k plan looks like?

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:41 pm

mcshame wrote:Does anyone have what a 100k plan looks like?

there are a couple on this page:
http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/training/

I'm sure a 50 mile plan would work as well. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:53 am

thx, the 50 mile program looks like less than what I do now, except the back to back long runs Sat/Sun, the 100k the weekends look worse. Interresting

trailzen
Johnny Miles

Postby trailzen » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:12 pm

trails like seaton gore tex doesn't work at all get shoes that shed water fast as the multiple water crossings are knee to hip deep and gore tex shoes will hold water all day like little buckets on yoour feet.

Killerz
Tom Longboat

Postby Killerz » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:40 pm

trailzen wrote:trails like seaton gore tex doesn't work at all get shoes that shed water fast as the multiple water crossings are knee to hip deep and gore tex shoes will hold water all day like little buckets on yoour feet.

Only seeing this response now. I actually posted the question before Seaton back in April.
I ran it with the Goretex trail shoes and it actually worked out just fine. It was a cold day, so the warm runners were useful. There wasnt a whole lot of sloshing, they dried off relatively soon after emerging from the river.
I body-glided my feet and used merino wool socks.... no blisters!

I really enjoyed the race.

I then ran Sulphur Springs 50 miler in regular Brooks road runners and that was fine for that course, but the two courses can't really be compared!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:09 pm

Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”