What's holding you back from an ultra?

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
deb
Bill Crothers

Postby deb » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:28 am

back to your original question rune.....I'd love to be able to do ultra's....and as I get older and have less 'family' responsibilities and more time to train, it may become a goal.

i still haven't decided if I like lsd's more than speed work or vice versa. I'll get back to you on this after I've actually ran a marathon or two! :D
somedays, even my lucky rocketship undies don't help

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:33 am

Midge wrote:So the TO 50km is a good entry level run? I am interested.

March 2007 give a shed load of time to prepare....any takers?

I can't imagine a better course for a first ultra. (I did the 30 K this year there.)
It is a paved bike path, 5K out, 5K back, so you get to know whats coming, and see everybody a lot. Early May, perfect timing for weather. Video available here: http://ouser.org/photos/06/tu/tur06_b.wmv

More stuff here: http://ouser.org/photos.htm

Vulture Bait in London, mid October is another easier course. Still on a dirt trail though, could be goofy in the rain.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Scotty
Bill Crothers

Postby Scotty » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:47 am

Hm, not something I'd ever considered before, but I could say that about running in general. :?

Well I am aiming at my first marathon in November...after that A-stan...so obviiously couldn't be a goal til almost 08....

But to answer the question it seems very intimidating...but the bragging rights would be...good.
For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.
~Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Everybody pities the weak; jealousy, you have to earn."

cimit
Tom Longboat

Postby cimit » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:54 am

Why would anyone want to run past the 42.2km mark?
Pro Raisin!

Canadian resident once agan effective October 31, 2009!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:20 am

It's something I've never really considered, either, just because getting up to marathon distances was quite hard for me... and I did a fairly low mileage marathon program. I love the long distances required for marathon training, but I'm not sure I'd want to do more than that. Then again, it wasn't too long ago when I couldn't imagine myself doing these kinds of distances.

My goal right now is to improve on marathon tiime and later try to BQ; if I take training further than that, I'd likely move toward triathlon.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

CarrieH
Johnny Miles

Re: What's holding you back from an ultra?

Postby CarrieH » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:27 pm

ultrarune wrote:Alright all you non ultra, ultra to be lurkers. I'm curious as to what stops you from trying an ultra. Time? Ability? Perceived ability? Intimidation?
Lets hear it so I can talk you all into one!

Happy trails,
Rune

honestly, I can't run worth ... er, beans at the moment! And I'm totally fine with being at the back of the pack, they're friendly back there! But I want to!!! I love long distances walking, and I just started working on 10:1s to get closer to the ultra goal (my neighbours have asked me to wheeze/gasp for breath much more quietly on my returns). The training doesn't intimidate me, but not knowing other important "stuff" (hydration, shoes, clothing, food, critters on the trail - if there are snakes, lie to me!!, etc.) is scary.

mlazenby
Bill Crothers

Postby mlazenby » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:03 pm

Which do you think would be the easiest 100 Rune - Sulphur Springs or Haliburton? SS looks a lot hillier but it seems like the trail at Haliburton would be a LOT harder during the night.
Hola!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:28 pm

to answer the question.....

Ironman. :)

And, no real desire to run that long.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:43 pm

Yep, running an ultra is definitely on my radar ... I've got two years to qualify for Boston, for when I am 45 :shock: ... and, that would likely be my earliest time frame when I am 45 and older ... :)
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

The Donald
Jerome Drayton

Postby The Donald » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:49 pm

ultrarune wrote:ultras are lsd for most! mostly slower! VERY few race hard. everyone has their own personal goals. most is to be able to make it to the finish and still drink beer. others is to beat a time and still drink beer. others is to beat someone and drink a beer before they finish. ultimately everyone loves hanging out sharing stories at the finish line over a beer!

rune

Don't run ultras 'cause I don't drink beer!!
No one cares what I would do; therefore, I can do anything!!

I ran 42.2k; Let's see the other donald try to trump that

Midge
Jerome Drayton

Postby Midge » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:17 pm

The Donald wrote:
ultrarune wrote:ultras are lsd for most! mostly slower! VERY few race hard. everyone has their own personal goals. most is to be able to make it to the finish and still drink beer. others is to beat a time and still drink beer. others is to beat someone and drink a beer before they finish. ultimately everyone loves hanging out sharing stories at the finish line over a beer!

rune

Don't run ultras 'cause I don't drink beer!!

Valid point

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:34 pm

cimit wrote:Why would anyone want to run past the 42.2km mark?

Because 42.2 is an arbitrary distance defined by where the Queen was sitting in the stadium :-) The first marathon of the modern Olympics was 25 miles, it was extended to 26m 385yards to make the finish line in front of the royal box at the stadium.

The longer you go, the slower you go and the easier it feels. Really, I'm not making that up :-)

Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:09 pm

I don't think I'm a good enough runner "yet". I still have to work to a marathon but I'm not sure if I'm even going to be able to do that in under 6 hours. It's not really running talent, I just don't push myself to go faster. If it helps, I love to go and watch lja race in ultras! I am doing a leg of the Death race, so that may make me a junior ultra runner.

msdesigner
Jerome Drayton

Postby msdesigner » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:59 pm

Running for me has never been about speed (well, I don't want to be last,but...) so if I am a successful motor city marathoner (my 1st marathon), then I would likely be interested.

I have always loved hiking the trails so with an ultra, I would just be moving a bit faster and going further. :wink:
Running 26.2 miles is not limited by physical capabilities but rather by the mind.
Uta Pippig

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:08 pm

It is interesting that everyone seems to suggest that a marathon is an essential stepping stone to running an ultra.

Umm hello people 21.1km to 50km in a training year :lol: It can be done and apparently it isn't all horrible for you either :wink:

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:10 pm

cimit wrote:Why would anyone want to run past the 42.2km mark?

Funny - someone who runs 10kms might say the same thing about 42.2 km. There are about as many reasons to run an ultra as there are ultra runners :D

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Lx2run
Tom Longboat

Postby Lx2run » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:11 pm

Back again to the original question.

I love running trails and my 1st marathon didn't kill me and you all seem so easy to get along with so I think I will push for Vulture Bait in London, mid October.

Now I have to decide if it will be 25 or 50?
Do all the good you are able to-
Any time you are able
Every way you are able
Every where you are able
For everyone you can...
Until you are able to again
-Haitian Proverb

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:47 pm

I think I'll try an ultra after I finish IMC 2007.
Just call me the thread killa

Prairiekid
Bill Crothers

Postby Prairiekid » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:58 pm

I can imagine a day when I might want to try an ultra, but I've got my sights set on Boston first.

Also, I have to admit that the amount of training time has me spooked - sometimes even marathon training is just too much time. What would the training be like for, say, a 50-miler?

-Pam

P.S. DWAYNE - You ARE NOT allowed to start bugging me about this until AFTER Boston!

P.P.S. DWAYNE AGAIN - The position of pacer is open for my BQ attempt at the 2007 Manitoba Marathon...
Boston Marathon Finisher, April 21, 2008
Read about my Around the World Adventure at Go See Run Eat Drink

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:40 pm

My stomach- If i could figure out a way to finish 50k without throwing up, i would potentially be in.

Not sure if i have the running ability yet though.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:57 pm

Main reason....

I'm worried I would become as wierd as you :shock: :wink: :wink:

Heck...let me finish a Marathon first :D

Joanne
C-Moss: I apologize.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

rune163
Bill Crothers

Postby rune163 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:57 pm

prats wrote:My stomach- If i could figure out a way to finish 50k without throwing up, i would potentially be in.

Not sure if i have the running ability yet though.

some see puking in an ultra as a badge of honor. i'm disappointed and somewhat pissed (as is lounge lizard) that i didn't puke on the bruce trail. this guy i know vince charbonneau has puked in more states and provinces running than anyone on record!

on a serious note, the slower pace generally is easier on your stomach. you have the ability, can you convince your mind to run 50?!

happy trails,
rune

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:23 pm

I must admit I think about doing an ultra a lot since I started back running again. Before I took my three year "break", I didn't even consider it and thought I would never do an ultra. But since I got my running mojo back about 6 -7 months ago, ultras have been on my brain. I am actually between an ultra and a triathlon but leaning towards an ultra.

My focus right now is my marathon in the fall and if I can get my time to a level that I am pleased with I am going to be strongly looking at an ultra in 2007 (and slightly change my long term goals in 2007).

I tend to be an all or nothing so if I am going to do one, I would be looking at a 100km. Suggestions on events? I have done a couple of searches for ultra training plans but tend to get ones for 50k - any suggestions? How much training time should I give myself? So many questions. Like a kid in a candy store.

I guess you don't need to talk me into one, I have already done that. I just need the tools to get me to start training.

lxiao
Bruce Kidd

Postby lxiao » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:16 pm

For me, it's about the time...my kids are really young, and I travel a lot for work, so just finding the time to be able to train for a marathon is a huge challenge, never mind an ultra. That's really the only reason for me. Maybe in a few years when my kids are older and have no interest in spending quality time with me (or rather, are more interested in hanging out with their friends than hanging out with Mom).
Lifetime race count: 6 Halfs, 6 Fulls, part of a Death Race, some 10Ks thrown in there too
Marathon #5 dedicated to my sister and all cancer survivors...please see this link for my dedication: http://www3.telus.net/ccandhh

I'd like to be a glowworm, a glowworm's never glum; 'cause how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:36 am

nothing is stopping me except just the right opportunity... thinking about blackfoot next year (just the 50k) but will decide after OIM. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”