The ultimate of trail runs

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Size5
Lynn Williams

The ultimate of trail runs

Postby Size5 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:11 pm

Well since vacation things have been a bit chaotic.... and tonight I got my photos from the ultimate of all trail runs....Skyline trail....

Fun facts:

5862' up
7479' down
8290' Max elevation
44.2 km

Took 10:45 but it is normally a 2-3 day backpacking trip. I did this one last year but it took me significantly longer. It really qualifies IMHO as gearboy's first ultra but he hasn't posted a report on it so I figured I would.

This is a pretty challening trail that at times, leaves you breathless for various reasons. This year, there was so much wind when we were on the top that I actually chose to NOT run because when you had one leg in the air, you'd get blown about a foot from where you started. At one point gearboy clocked the wind at 45km/hr but I know it was much stronger (it was just the geek device to measure wind wasn't out at the worst moments).

The trail looks like this:

and this:

And here I am at the top in my RM gear.... do I qualify for "traveling the world?"

Then finally some kind soul took pity on gearboy and myself and snapped a photo of us at the top:

So basically all I gotta say is as a friend, gearboy was a great hiking / running partner. It was an honor to sing bad songs and cheer him on as he kept popping Advil on the trail :D But Dwayne, this is what you and Natalie missed! Next year my friend!

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:24 pm

So sub 10 hour next year? :-)

Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing!!!

Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:26 pm

Oh yeah........ I would love a sub 10:00 next year! Somehow if gearboy could have eaten less and ran more it would have easily been sub 10:00... (like that would ever happen!) Not inlcuding the breaks it was.......

Next year!

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Gear Boy
Bruce Kidd

Postby Gear Boy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:52 pm

Size5 wrote:Oh yeah........ I would love a sub 10:00 next year! Somehow if gearboy could have eaten less and ran more it would have easily been sub 10:00... (like that would ever happen!) Not inlcuding the breaks it was.......

Eaten less? What the heck are you talking about? You know what happens if I "eat less". And most of my eating was on the move anyway... What really slowed us down was my having to run after that damned water filter bag!

And I'm sure sub 10h is very possible next year.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:57 pm

Gear Boy wrote:
Eaten less? What the heck are you talking about? You know what happens if I "eat less". And most of my eating was on the move anyway... What really slowed us down was my having to run after that damned water filter bag!

:lol: :roll: S5 failed to mention that during filtering/refilling the camelbacks, the bag that holds the filter blew away in the 45km/hr gusts. Sadly I was too busy laughing as I watch gearboy sprint it out in an effort to catch the bag.... But you know how the wind kind of whips things here, there and everywhere??? well you get the picture..... I was way too busy laughing to be of any help. Besides, I don't like having to run anaerobically - hence why I never do a 5km event!

That isn't what caused us to miss Sub 10:00....... it was having to listen to you complain about the weather, your sore knees, your quads and on and on....... if you had just SHUT UP and hiked, we'd have finished at 10:00!

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Gear Boy
Bruce Kidd

Postby Gear Boy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:53 pm

Size5 wrote:That isn't what caused us to miss Sub 10:00....... it was having to listen to you complain about the weather, your sore knees, your quads and on and on....... if you had just SHUT UP and hiked, we'd have finished at 10:00!

:roll: You make it sound as though I complained the whole way. I did very little complaining. Pardon me for not wanting to blow something out and have to sit on the mountain waiting for rescue. :P

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:26 am

WOW, Great pictures :D Makes me want to do it!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:46 pm

You deserve the Super Pocoyo Avatar!!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:22 pm

Awesome pics!!! :D

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:25 pm

Geez you guys quit bickering! :wink:

Great pictures. Too bad about the wind tho.

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:32 pm

Awesome. Looks like a moonscape [except for the water of course].

The things Maniacs do for "fun"! :shock:
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

BJH
Lynn Williams

Re: The ultimate of trail runs

Postby BJH » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:34 pm

Wow, that makes me want to go for a run!
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:47 pm

seuss wrote:Awesome. Looks like a moonscape [except for the water of course].

Yeah that is exactly what we said about it as well - looks like you are on the moon!

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

RonPerth
Bruce Kidd

Postby RonPerth » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:47 pm

Great pictures. Can I go?

That isn't what caused us to miss Sub 10:00....... it was having to listen to you complain about the weather, your sore knees, your quads and on and on....... if you had just SHUT UP and hiked, we'd have finished at 10:00!

S5

You make it sound as though I complained the whole way. I did very little complaining. Pardon me for not wanting to blow something out and have to sit on the mountain waiting for rescue.

Btw, how long have you been married?

Ron

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:05 pm

RonPerth wrote:Great pictures. Can I go?

Btw, how long have you been married?

Ron

Both Gearboy and I are single - we are not dating each other. Just to clarify

And, yes you can go next year - Jasper 2007!

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

RonPerth
Bruce Kidd

Postby RonPerth » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:58 pm

So anyway, how much running did you do, and how much walking. How technical was the trail that we don't see on the pictures? How easy was it to get to, and to get back from?

Ron

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:54 pm

Awesome pics. Thanks. I miss the Rockies. I always wanted to do the Skyline Trails but weather conditions never permitted us to do it.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:06 pm

RonPerth wrote:how much running did you do, and how much walking. How technical was the trail that we don't see on the pictures? How easy was it to get to, and to get back from?

It really isn't that technical. There are parts that are rocky and hard to run for fear of twisting something... and there are those sections that it can be very windy.... It has huge chunks that you can run - probably at least 65% is running trail IMHO (having the fitness to run it however is something else). It is pretty hard to know how much got hiked and how much was run - although there definately was more walking than running. The last 15km are something you can run (if you have gas in the tank).

It is super easy to get to - a 40 min drive to the trail head from the town of Jasper. We used two cars (one at the other end) so that we didn't have to walk the extra 5km back to the cottage but there are various ways around this too.

I can give you more photos if you'd like. I do think we should have a RM ultra (unofficial) of course....

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

markB
Bruce Kidd

Postby markB » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:46 am

wow, that looks like an awesome run. thanks for posting the photos. did you two do that 40+km as a training run / for fun!>?!

MANIACS.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:03 am

topmarks wrote:wow, that looks like an awesome run. thanks for posting the photos. did you two do that 40+km as a training run / for fun!>?!

MANIACS.

I used it in part for training for Lost Souls and in part because of the scenery. Gearboy hasn't raced ever - he was out there to see the scenery.

Fun Fun!

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Albertatraildog
Bruce Kidd

Postby Albertatraildog » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:58 pm

Hey S5, I guess I'll see you in Lethbridge - I'll be running Lost Souls as well (100mile). A gang from Edmonton are going up to run the Skyline 2 weeks after the LostSouls. If I'm recovered enough, I'm going to go up with them.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:59 pm

Albertatraildog wrote:Hey S5, I guess I'll see you in Lethbridge - I'll be running Lost Souls as well (100mile). A gang from Edmonton are going up to run the Skyline 2 weeks after the LostSouls. If I'm recovered enough, I'm going to go up with them.

welcome to RM!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:15 pm

Albertatraildog wrote:Hey S5, I guess I'll see you in Lethbridge - I'll be running Lost Souls as well (100mile). A gang from Edmonton are going up to run the Skyline 2 weeks after the LostSouls. If I'm recovered enough, I'm going to go up with them.

COOL!!

You'll see me in my RM shirt (orange). Do I know you???

Skyline is great - have you done it before?

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Albertatraildog
Bruce Kidd

Postby Albertatraildog » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:41 pm

Hey thanks Klewlis! I just came across the site.

S7 - I don't know if we know each other, but I probably ran into you at some races this year. I ran
- FatAss50 (Edmonton)
- FrozenAss50 (Calgary)
- Blackfoot 100k
- Death race (solo - 125k)

and will be trying the LS100mile in (oh so few) days from now.

I'm pretty new to Edmonton (2yrs) and to Ultra running. The FatAss50 in Jan 06 was my first one. Before that I was running track and cross country with the Edmonton Thunder Track and Field club. Prior to that I was in Colorado Springs, CO where I did the Pikes Peak Ascent and a whole bunch of cross country and road races.

Anyway, its great to be here, and to be trying my hand at the Ultra distance. I'm having way too much fun! I've had some pretty good success too (4th at FrozenAss, 3rd in Blackfoot, 8th in CDR)... but I would really like to know more about your experience with coaching. I've pretty well taken a sabatical from the track and am leaning the Ultra-ropes on my own.

See you in Lethbridge!

Terry

Terry

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:54 pm

So you are going for the triple ATD (alberta trail dog)??

The triple is one thing I'm considering for next year. But, right now, I'm really too burnt out to think about it.

Coaching has been great for me. I'm sure I would not have done what I did at blackfoot without coaching. I've had two coaches and right now I"m using endurancematters.com (mike booth). Lots of runners here use him but I asked if he had experience coaching ultra runners and he has (including a group in Colorado). I'm pretty happy with things. I used another coach before mike which I'd also be happy to tell you all about (starting with the fact that he was VERY VERY expensive :lol:)

Please ask away or send me a PM.

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”