More Garmin talk

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
carm
Bill Crothers

More Garmin talk

Postby carm » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:00 pm

I have a 310xt on its last legs and a new one is around $200 plus tax. I have a birthday coming up and I will be using my birthday money to buy a new watch. TBH, I've never used the full features of this watch - just as a bike computer and running watch (pace, distance, time; sometimes interval programming). Scrummie recommended her 10 at about $150+tax. Are there any other watches out there that might meet my needs? Should I just replace my 310xt since I already have the bike mount? I don't mind the size of the 310xt.
Carm

eme
Lynn Williams

Re: More Garmin talk

Postby eme » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:55 pm

You can get a refurbished 310xt out of Raytech with their repair service for cheaper than $200. That being said, if you are not using all the features something else may be better suited for you. Are you still wanting something that works as a bike computer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:12 pm

eme wrote:You can get a refurbished 310xt out of Raytech with their repair service for cheaper than $200. That being said, if you are not using all the features something else may be better suited for you. Are you still wanting something that works as a bike computer?

Raytech quoted me $165 for a refurbished unit so for that price, I'd rather buy new. I don't mind getting a regular bike computer to replace the 310xt if I end up buying a more basic running watch.
Carm

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:43 pm

carm wrote:
eme wrote:You can get a refurbished 310xt out of Raytech with their repair service for cheaper than $200. That being said, if you are not using all the features something else may be better suited for you. Are you still wanting something that works as a bike computer?

Raytech quoted me $165 for a refurbished unit so for that price, I'd rather buy new. I don't mind getting a regular bike computer to replace the 310xt if I end up buying a more basic running watch.

Ah. I know that I didn't pay that much, but maybe that was because I sent them back my old one.

You can pick up a simple bike computer for pretty cheap.

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:25 pm

The 10 won't do intervals, you need to go up to the 210/220 to get that functionality.

Bike computers that work off a wheel counter are cheap, but you won't get the snazzy mapped-out route.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:29 pm

Check out Costco and MEC for them as well. Costco has the 210 for under $200 and the 10 for $150; both online prices, so it might be slightly cheaper at the store. The 210 at Costco also come with heart rate monitor and foot pod.

Or look at REI in the States for the 220, my buddy just picked his up for $220 last month. But I'm not sure how feasible that is for you.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:56 pm

Speaking of MEC and Costco - I highly recommend buying from one of these stores because they stand behind their products and will replace things beyond the one-year warranty. I've heard good things about REI too.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:28 pm

eme wrote:Ah. I know that I didn't pay that much, but maybe that was because I sent them back my old one.

You can pick up a simple bike computer for pretty cheap.

The price that I was quoted involved me mailing back my old unit as well. I used to have a cheap bike computer around here somewhere! :lol: 7

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll look at DC Rainmaker and investigate the other models that you mentioned. Costco is great and thanks Bryan for the suggestion that warehouse prices might be better than online.
Carm

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:44 pm

Jwolf wrote:Speaking of MEC and Costco - I highly recommend buying from one of these stores because they stand behind their products and will replace things beyond the one-year warranty. I've heard good things about REI too.

REI also does the same thing with the products they sell as well and that is why I suggested those three stores.

carm wrote:Costco is great and thanks Bryan for the suggestion that warehouse prices might be better than online.

Costco's prices listed online include the shipping as well. While the warehouse price is the cash & carry price and sometimes cheaper, but not always.
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:31 pm

Stampie wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Speaking of MEC and Costco - I highly recommend buying from one of these stores because they stand behind their products and will replace things beyond the one-year warranty. I've heard good things about REI too.

REI also does the same thing with the products they sell as well and that is why I suggested those three stores.

We can ship to various receiving depots in Ogdensburg NY which is a 40 minute drive from my house, so US shops are a definite possibility especially if there is $ savings. Have you ever had to return to REI? Did you have to ship from Canada?
Carm

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:50 pm

carm wrote:
Stampie wrote:

We can ship to various receiving depots in Ogdensburg NY which is a 40 minute drive from my house, so US shops are a definite possibility especially if there is $ savings. Have you ever had to return to REI? Did you have to ship from Canada?

I've only purchased from REI a few times and I and no issues with them. Friends I know had an issue with a pair of boots the bought and they returned them directly to REI in Bellingham, WA. REI has pretty much a similar return policy as MEC, they back what they sell.

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Return to “Gearing Up”