Sunglasses on top of prescription glasses?

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
sowencheung

Sunglasses on top of prescription glasses?

Postby sowencheung » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi

Does anyone have recommendation for sunglasses fits on top of prescription glasses and also suitable for running? I live in MB and there are too much sun shine and snow here.

I have one now that kind of works, but I just need to carefully use my hat and neck gaiter to tighten it, otherwise it will start clicking during my run. So you can tell it works better in winter time, since I have the hat and neck gaiter wrapping my ear and tighten everything, including my own prescription glasses, sun glasses, and headphones....

it's pretty annoying, only people with prescription glasses can feel the pain.

is there a better solution, will using a snow goggle help? I don't have those so I am asking.

thanks!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Sunglasses on top of prescription glasses?

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:09 pm

clip ons
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:10 pm

welcome to RM. :)

are contacts not an option? I wear glasses at home but only wear contacts for running/hiking/etc. It's much simpler!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:01 pm

Hello from another Manitoban! I have a pair of Adidas ones that have a prescription insert. That way I can wear them with or without contacts (just swap out the nose piece).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:38 pm

Prescription sunglasses? You can get them in a lightweight frame better suited to running.

I always wear contacts for winter running anyway, too much fogging with glasses especially when it's cold and I have to wear a balaclava.

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:25 pm

And hello! from another Manitoban :)

Contacts aren't really an option for me: have progressive lenses for my prescription. Thus, I use clip-ons. Not the flip-up kind, but the ones with the slidey spring in the bridge. Not 100% coverage of the prescription lenses &no side protection, but small enough to carry with me always. I also have a pair of the fitover style of sunglasses, and have used them for long drives. But like you, I find they rest heavily on my nose &thus don't use them very often.
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:21 am

When I got my last pair of glasses I purchased them with polarized clip-ons that match my lenses exactly. They were sold as a set. I have no problem with the sunglasses not covering my lenses. They attach to my frames magnetically so there is no issue with looseness or rattling. I hope this helps.

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:22 am

Grimskot, I wear progressives too. But I wear contacts for sports only so no requirement for reading. Similarly my prescription sunglasses are single vision.

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:26 am

Joe Dwarf wrote:Grimskot, I wear progressives too. But I wear contacts for sports only so no requirement for reading. Similarly my prescription sunglasses are single vision.

To further complicate matters, I also have astigmatism. My optometrist told me I would need some pretty funky contacts even if I went single-vision. Ones with a serious learning curve before I'd feel comfortable in them. Considering I've been wearing glasses since I was 10, I've always elected to stick with them. (OK, I may also have a "thing" about sticking things in my eyes. :razz:) That said, if I start spending more time in the pool like I plan, it might be worth revisiting that topic with my optometrist.
Plan for 2016:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:38 am

grimskot wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:Grimskot, I wear progressives too. But I wear contacts for sports only so no requirement for reading. Similarly my prescription sunglasses are single vision.

To further complicate matters, I also have astigmatism. My optometrist told me I would need some pretty funky contacts even if I went single-vision. Ones with a serious learning curve before I'd feel comfortable in them. Considering I've been wearing glasses since I was 10, I've always elected to stick with them. (OK, I may also have a "thing" about sticking things in my eyes. :razz:) That said, if I start spending more time in the pool like I plan, it might be worth revisiting that topic with my optometrist.

Contact lenses aren't recommended while swimming but you can get prescription goggles.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:48 am

Jwolf wrote:
grimskot wrote:

Contact lenses aren't recommended while swimming but you can get prescription goggles.

I have never been told this, despite telling my optometrist that my main reason for contacts is triathlon and she is also a triathlete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:05 am

Astigmatism is usually not that big a deal other than making the contacts more expensive. I wear Toric lenses for astigmatism. Wouldn't wear them swimming though.

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:55 pm

JWolf, I didn't know 'bout contacts not being recommended for pools. Kinda kills that idea for me. :) As for prescription goggles, so far I can see well enough in the pool to get by without corrective lenses. An open water swim might be different. Then again, if I already baulk at expense of getting prescription sunglasses, you can imagine my reaction at prescription goggles. :razz:

Joe Dwarf, the toric contacts were what my optometrist talked about also. But we discussed them as a full-time replacement for glasses. Between the astigmatism and the progressives, she thought I wouldn't be comfortable in contacts at all. Might be a different conversation if I wanted contacts just for sport.
Plan for 2016:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:29 pm

After eme's comment I did some reading- I've always heard that they aren't recommended, but apparently it's ok if you can strictly keep your eye's dry with goggles. Getting water inside can cause infection from water-borne bacteria (even in chlorinated pools). It's not something I would want to risk.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:41 pm

I wore contacts for the past 5 years in the pool with goggles before getting lasik. Never had an infection (and got water in my goggles more than once) and when discussing with my optometrist, we switched to daily contacts as that reduces the risk even more since that pair is only worn once.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:31 pm

grimskot wrote:And hello! from another Manitoban :)

Contacts aren't really an option for me: have progressive lenses for my prescription. Thus, I use clip-ons. Not the flip-up kind, but the ones with the slidey spring in the bridge. Not 100% coverage of the prescription lenses &no side protection, but small enough to carry with me always. I also have a pair of the fitover style of sunglasses, and have used them for long drives. But like you, I find they rest heavily on my nose &thus don't use them very often.

I wear progressive lenses as well and actually got a pair of progressive lenses that are sunglasses (Transition lenses which are great for trails). I love them. They are not great for driving as they don't go that dark in the car, but outdoors, for running, they are great. Especially for the trails where your light goes brighter and darker depending on the terrain.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:01 pm

I have been wearing glasses since I was 7 or so and I have astigmatism as well; though only in one eye. I've also just recently started to wear progressive lenses. I wear contacts for sports and I've been doing that for just over 10yrs now. Previously I shied away from contacts because I was told Toric lenses were uncomfortable. With the technology these days, the Toric's are actually not bad. My first pair was monthly use and I only slightly noticed the Toric lens. Since my doctor switched me to daily use I don't even feel the Toric lens now. When I started having to wear progressive lenses I actually inquired about progressive contacts and my doctor actually advised against them due to my intended use. When possible, I actually carry a pair of cheap readers to use when they are needed.

So grimskot I would consider having that conversation with your eye doctor, you maybe pleasantly surprised.

BTW... I felt the same way you did about putting on contacts, it soon becomes old hat and not bothersome at all.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Return to “Gearing Up”