Garmin Vivoactive HR (thoughts?)

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Re: Garmin Vivoactive HR (thoughts?)

Postby purdy65 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:35 am

I just got mine and have been using it over the past few days.

Generally I love it! I found it really accurate for the outdoor activities, but I have to figure out how to adjust the stride length to make it more accurate for the treadmill (I have a short stride so it thinks I'm going further than I am).

I've used most of the features and find them fun. I haven't used the GPS alot, but the battery life seems great so far, and it charges very quickly.

Love getting my notifications my watch - most of the time. Sometimes it can be annoying.

Oh, and I have to change the wrist I set it to because I am currently wearing it on my left wrist and am left handed so I think my steps are inflated. I miraculously moved 100 steps brushing my teeth the other day! :lol: :lol:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:08 pm

Thanks for the review! I just got notice that mine shipped from Calgary yesterday. :)

The :( part is that I won't get it in time for my birthday (it was to be my present to myself).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:09 pm

purdy65 wrote:I
Generally I love it! I found it really accurate for the outdoor activities, but I have to figure out how to adjust the stride length to make it more accurate for the treadmill (I have a short stride so it thinks I'm going further than I am).

Since the accelerometer is supposed to autocalibrate when you use it with the GPS outside, it doesn't let you adjust the stride length manually. But it should adjust gradually over time the more you use it outside.
In theory, at least. My 235 does the same thing (automatically calibrates), but it always measures my treadmill distance too short. Even after using it a lot outside since May, it still shorts me on treadmill runs by about 10%. I don't really care though-- I still go by the treadmill distance for my training purposes.

[Although a recent firmware update somehow made it shut off indoor run measurement completely-- I hope there's a fix for that soon!]
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:29 am

My Garmin arrived yesterday! :dance: Lucky for me, I was walking up to my front door just as the mailman was delivering the package, so I didn't have to go to the post office to pick it up. :D

I spent some time playing with it last night and downloading apps and widgets. Time will tell which ones are the most useful. The only downside is that it doesn't pair with my WW app (only the vivosmart does), so I'll have to manually add my steps to collect points.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:31 am

Actually, I was wrong! It does collect steps from Garmin Connect! :-BD

Return to “Gearing Up”