Trail shoe replacement suggestions

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
k8
Johnny Miles

Trail shoe replacement suggestions

Postby k8 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:49 pm

Hi everyone! Past few years I've been running trails in Merrell Siren trail light hiking shoes. Doesn't make a lot of sense oerhaps, but they seemed to work well, and they had sticky soles that were nicely grippy (vibram soles). They were perhaps a tad narrow as they split eventually at the ball of my foot (on both sides) Now, however Merrell has split this shoe into two different ones.. a trail hiking shoe (with poor reviews and a different sole) and a few different trail running shoe models, some of which have the grippy sole.

So, I'm stuck needing new shoes, and I'm not sure what might be a good replacement. I do have not great ankle stability, like my feet to feel "wrapped up" kind of snugly, and do tend to pronate a bit, but when I had trail shoes that were for pronation, I got knee/hip pain. Running the last while in these "normal" shoes, I seemed to have less issues, so I stuck with them. Prior to these, I ran in Mizuno Wave shoes, but their trail shoe did not work for me, and the Wave is not grippy enough on trails. Also had a pair of Brooks Low profile trail shoes which were pretty decent but not quite grippy enough, nice and light tho!

Any suggestions of tried/true trail shoes for me? Thanks for any insights!

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Re: Trail shoe replacement suggestions

Postby Dstew » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:42 pm

If you have a local, not chain, running store they are usually pretty good about suggestions. I have a couple of pair of Solomons and they seem to have a good reputation. Also a Addidas. Hoka might be another option. But to be honest, I have not found much difference and one pair I won so not a great person to ask about specifics.

k8
Johnny Miles

Postby k8 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:04 pm

Thanks for your thoughts! I might be the same since the only shoes I bought for "trail running" actually didn't seem to work well. :roll: We do have a running store in town (guelph) but they don't have great trail shoe options, more road shoes. I'll keep looking though!

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:53 pm

Depends on what type of trail running: is it on easier trails or rocky & rooty with lots of verticals? The more technical the trail, the more protection you probably need. The Running Room should have a couple of trail shoes on their wall, even if the other store does not. You would probably get a better selection and advice at the MEC store in Kitchener. Saucony have a couple of good neutral but stable trail shoes like the Peregrine and the more expensive Xodus. La Sportiva and Salomon are other good, trail-focussed brands. Most brands have shoes that have some inherent stability (e.g. broader base to resist over pronation) but are still regarded as neutral and not over-controlling. You don't want too much control on trail shoes since your feet do have to roll somewhat with the terrain. Probably the most important features are fit & feel, within the set of trail shoes appropriate to your running terrain. Hope that helps...
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

k8
Johnny Miles

Postby k8 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:57 pm

Thanks NIcholas! I have been eyeing pair of sauconys on thelasthunt site.. goretex and $84.. I had a look at mec a few months ago, should go back now that I'm looking more at shoes than camping stuff. :)
and typically, it is rooty, not lots of verticals (I'm anti-hill haha) but certainly uneven terrain.

Return to “Gearing Up”