33%
Reasonable Target
67%

Total votes: 21

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Race pace strategy

Postby La » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:18 pm

I can't do mental math at the best of times, let alone while running! I find it stresses me out and makes me run slower! :lol:

From both past and recent experience (though my pace is very different from yours, erin), I would agree that going out even a little too fast in the first half can have negative effects in the second half. And I also know from my training run yesterday, that if I go out conservatively, I actually DO have something left in the tank for a bit of a surge at the end!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:24 pm

Jwolf wrote:
And it all depends on the pacers. I've been in races where they are not all great (Vancouver) and those where they are stellar (Portland). What's better about trusting someone else to set your pace rather than using a watch?

I agree with Jenn. I did it with you yesterday because I trusted you and your abilities. If I had of worn a watch I would have known you were trying to kill me. But I'd never do that with someone I didn't know. We've heard too many horror stories about bad bunnies. Marathon is a bad place to make that kind of mistake.

Now if you decide you want to pace me in a future marathon, I'd leave the watch behind :wink:
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:28 pm

jes wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
And it all depends on the pacers. I've been in races where they are not all great (Vancouver) and those where they are stellar (Portland). What's better about trusting someone else to set your pace rather than using a watch?

I agree with Jenn. I did it with you yesterday because I trusted you and your abilities. If I had of worn a watch I would have known you were trying to kill me. But I'd never do that with someone I didn't know. We've heard too many horror stories about bad bunnies. Marathon is a bad place to make that kind of mistake.

Now if you decide you want to pace me in a future marathon, I'd leave the watch behind :wink:

+1. Never, ever, ever follow a bunny blindly, unless it's Super Andy. ;) He-who-knows-our-abilities-better-than-ourselves. :mrgreen:
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:37 pm

PinkLady wrote:
jes wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

+1. Never, ever, ever follow a bunny blindly, unless it's Super Andy. ;) He-who-knows-our-abilities-better-than-ourselves. :mrgreen:

Good points ...

'k, probably should have clarified my earlier post, in that using a Personal Pacer versus an Event Pace Bunny ... 'cause an Event Pace Bunny has to pretty well stick with a consistent pace, whereas a Personal Pacer can adapt, as required ... :think: :think: :think:

Though, I do see the merits of running with another person, or a small group, to share the load and offer a bit of a wind protection if there is a headwind ... :think: :think:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Return to “The Speed Zone”