Food poisoning before a long run.

The grisly details and tales of the road back

dannysargeant

Postby dannysargeant » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi Running Mania,

I am a marathon runner. I've set a goal to run one more 32 km run by the end of the year. The plan is to do it on Sunday.

Today I had food poisoning. It was a tough day. The situation resolved itself a few hours ago (Friday night). Now I feel a little groggy, but much better. I feel like I would be OK to run the long run in 2 days.

I am just wondering what other long distance runners would do in this situation.

Danny Sargeant
========================
Personal Bests
5 km: 20:32 (10 km split)
10 km: 43:37
Creemore VC 25 km: 2:38
Around the Bay 30 km: 3:05

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:19 pm

You won't be fully recovered by Sunday. Food poisoning takes a lot out of you and it takes a good week for your body to fully replenish what you lose and recover. But if it's just a long run, just take it slower and make sure you take a lot of fluids.

If it were a race I would say don't do it- or at least don't expect to have your best race. If you have the choice I would put off the 32k run for a week.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Re: Food poisoning before a long run.

Postby Mark.AU » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:34 pm

Do the run, it's not like you're injured.

Stay well hydrated and make sure to take in plenty of electrolytes between now and the run and just have at it.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:09 pm

Interesting question for me:

No food poisoning but I have various issues - slight touch of the stomach flu, etc and so ...

1) At one time there is no doubt I would have done what Mark suggested. Rest and hydrate until the run as I would also tell myself it was good psychological training as there is no way I would feel that bad on race day so if I could do the 32 K run under those circumstances, a race would be easy. Prepare to suffer and would not have much planned for the next day as you are likely going to be a zombie as I was.

2) Then I "evolved" into I would still do the run but give myself permission to either cut it short and/or find a bench and take a rest so I might take extra water and definitely some money in case of the need for an emergency Gatorade, etc. My younger self would call that guy a wimp and to suck it up. I had a run like that where at the 24 k, I ran out of fuel. Walked to a convenience store, got a Gatorade and chocolate bar, rested for around 15 minutes and then finished with a jog.

3) Now, I would see how I feel and make sure it was the easiest 32 K run I could do if I felt good to go. It might even been loops and so I could shut it down very easily or where you can take a short cut or next to a transit route where I could bail on the run and find an alternative way home. Did one earlier this year and 32K became 27 K.

In my opinion, no right or wrong answers, just personal preference. I should add with option 1, I felt good in the first part of the run, then like crap near the end and finally went into survival mode in the last 2 - 3 K. Had a shower, went straight to bed, could not stop shaking as I had the chills despite coming out of as hot a shower as I could stand and then dragged myself around for a couple of days but it was one hell of an experience and I have no regrets.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:27 pm

The night of my 2007 Las Vegas Marathon, I was up all night almost every hour puking from my meatball and spaghetti dinner and almost considered DNS'ng, but decided to start slow and go from there, and surprisingly, in the end I ran a PB .. Ha!! Go figure, perhaps one of my best paced, negative split marathon ... :) :shifty:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:28 pm

lots of time to get it done before the end of the year.

I would plan a route that would allow you to cut it short if you feel crappy.

I once ran a marathon after a bad flu. I thought I felt better until half way in, and then I just died. It wasn't a good experience. For a training run that you can do a week later, I wouldn't think it worthwhile.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

dannysargeant

Postby dannysargeant » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:02 pm

Well I ended up running the long run. I felt great and ended up running 37 km just because I felt so good. Thanks for all your suggestions. In particular, I tried to hydrate quite a bit.

Danny
OP
========================
Personal Bests
5 km: 20:32 (10 km split)
10 km: 43:37
Creemore VC 25 km: 2:38
Around the Bay 30 km: 3:05

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”