Peroneal tendon

The grisly details and tales of the road back

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Peroneal tendon

Postby randomgirl » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:06 am

Hi all! Long time no speak! I haven't run in about 7 months now, due to a somewhat unusual issue. There are a few blogs out there, but no live people that I've found! So of course I though of my maniacs - someone on here has probably experienced this and can give me advice!

About 7 months ago (last July) I tripped while hiking and gave myself an avulsion fracture of the tip of the fibula. Just a tiny thing - 8 weeks in a CAM boot. But it wouldn't seem to get better. In October I was referred to an orthopaedic surgeon, had an MRI in November (thanks WCB!) and discovered that I have a "split peroneal tendon at the distal fibula."

Anyone here had this before? It seems to be a lengthwise rupture of the tendon. My surgeon seems to think that there's only a 50/50 chance that surgery will help, but I can barely walk now. In the meantime, I am 3 weeks into another 8 weeks in the cam boot to see if anything happens, and it seems to be hurting more and more.

Will I ever run again? Last night I had a lovely running dream, but it would be nice to actually run. My physio shrugs his shoulders - says he has no clue as it's a bit rare.

Thanks for any help!

RG
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
Mary Pickford

Next up:
No Pressure! Run when I want, cycle when I want, swim when I want ;)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Peroneal tendon

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:24 am

I don't know anything about that, but I'm glad to see you back here! :YMHUG:
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:34 am

I had a running dream last night, and it was soooo good. I was running through pacific spirit park with my daughter. So I woke up and have been thinking about my Maniacs all day :)

Been using the search function - I'm finding some stuff about peroneal tendinitis, but no tears. Maybe this really is a rare thing?!

:)
RG
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."

Mary Pickford

Next up:

No Pressure! Run when I want, cycle when I want, swim when I want ;)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:00 pm

Peroneal tendon ruptures are fairly common, even if nobody has posted here. I would get a second opinion from a good physiotherapist to see if you can fix it without surgery-- those odds aren't good!

Good luck figuring this out-- you've been suffering too long.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:34 pm

Welcome back, although I'm sorry about the circumstances that brought you back here. I sprained that tendon a couple of years back, and even the sprain took months to recover, and still will give me grief every once in a while. I know it's not the same as a rupture, but I just wanted to throw in my experience.

I'm currently off running now too, due to injury, and I understand about your happy running dreams. I have them from time to time, and they are lovely, wistful dreams.

I agree, it couldn't hurt to shop around for another opinion, maybe find a sports injury clinic? Good luck, and keep posting!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”