Ottawa treatment for crackly knees?

The grisly details and tales of the road back

chrish

Ottawa treatment for crackly knees?

Postby chrish » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I did a search for this topic but didn't find anything, apologies if it's been covered before.

I'm a 39 year old runner based in Ottawa, I've been running for 10 years and have done races from 5k up to a couple of full marathons. I have little kids so I've been doing relatively low mileage the last few years. Despite my low training volume, I had a painful bout of runner's knee in my left knee in Summer 2015, it took quite a few months to clear up. In summer 2016 my right knee (the other one) started crackling when I squat. Then in fall 2016 my left knee started making an audible 'snap' with each step going up stairs. My knees are loud but there is no pain in either.

I saw my regular GP and my regular ART practitioner and neither have been able to really help me - while there is no pain now these sounds make me uneasy and I don't want to progress to the point of serious damage. Can anyone recommend a pro in Ottawa who really knows knees, be they a sports doctor, athletic therapist, or physiotherapist?

Thanks!
Chris

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Ottawa treatment for crackly knees?

Postby deerdree » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:04 pm

this is an interesting question - i have the same crackling and, like you, i find it disconcerting because it sounds like the movement is eating away at my knee cartilage.

everything i've read says that crepitus is generally harmless unless there is pain associated with the movement. is that what your GP and ART said as well? i'm a little bit concerned that if you go looking for someone to help with this, you'll be wasting your time and money. but i understand your worry because it bugs me, too, and i have visions of knee replacements in my future.

do you take any supplements? glucosamine, for example? fish oil?

(also, welcome to RM!)

chrish

Postby chrish » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:39 pm

Thanks for your reply - I do take fish oil with some consistency, but I haven't tried any other supplementation. Have you tried other supplements?

My GP described it as 'arthritis' which I suppose it possible but I do feel like I'm a bit on the young side. In my ART providers opinion, doctors often use arthritis as an umbrella term without putting much effort into a diagnosis. I haven't had any imaging of either knee, just physical exams.

I've seen the same statements about non-painful crepitus not being an issue, I just want to leave no stone unturned because I want to run until I drop! I've got decent benefits at work, which should hopefully cover a few visits with someone who specializes in knees.

Thanks again.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:07 pm

Welcome here. :)

I'm no doctor.

But for what it's worth, my knees have been cracking and popping since the age of 15 (worked in retail for MANY years) and like you, there has never been pain associated with it. It has never interfered with my running so I haven't worried about it. I'm about to turn 39. So unless it interferes with functionality or it starts to hurt, I'd err on the side of not worrying about it.

As well, I injured both knees in kickboxing a number of years ago and to this day cannot do squats, lunges or any other deep-knee-bend exercise without shooting pain (this is unrelated to the cracking and popping), but again it does not affect my running so I don't worry about it.

(maybe you shouldn't listen to me.... ;)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:57 am

Francine Eastwood at Evolution Physiotherapy http://evolutionphysiotherapy.com/about-us/bios/ ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:05 am

chrish wrote:Thanks for your reply - I do take fish oil with some consistency, but I haven't tried any other supplementation. Have you tried other supplements?

i know people on this board have had great things to say about glucosamine - just found a link to an old thread (hey, ultraslacker, it's you! :lol:): http://runningmania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6837

personally, i've never been able to remember to take it long enough to notice a difference.

but if you have the $$ and want the peace of mind, makes sense to talk to someone else - HCcD's recommendation looks great!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:12 am

deerdree wrote:
chrish wrote:Thanks for your reply - I do take fish oil with some consistency, but I haven't tried any other supplementation. Have you tried other supplements?

i know people on this board have had great things to say about glucosamine - just found a link to an old thread (hey, ultraslacker, it's you! :lol:): http://runningmania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6837

I never did try it. :lol:

but I do give the pet version to my dog a couple of times/week since he's a border collie mix (they're hard on their joints) and he's getting old.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:29 am

Welcome to Running Mania! I'm 20 years older than you, and my knees crack all the time. I have one iffy knee and one perfectly good knee, and they both crackle the same amount. The noises don't correspond to any pain, either. I try not to listen to them. :lol:
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:36 pm

My physiotherapist told me that noise without pain is fine. Noise with pain in not.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:29 am

IronColl wrote:My physiotherapist told me that noise without pain is fine. Noise with pain in not.

This is what I have been told as well.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:33 am

I could never sneak up on anyone. My knees, ankles and toes do the snap and crackle thing constantly.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:30 am

Yep, Consensus is correct. I'm a PT and have had many clients with creepy knees. When I hear it, I ask if there is any pain. If none, we continue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

chrish

Postby chrish » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:49 pm

Thanks all! It's unnerving, but it's good to hear that it hasn't put a kink in running for others that have musical knees.

FishHog
Bruce Kidd

Postby FishHog » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:10 pm

mine have been doing the same for at least 20 years. PT told me the same thing one day about 10 years ago, so I've just ignored it since.
In order to catch a fish, you have to drink like a fish.

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”