Runners Knee Pain ( PFPS)

The grisly details and tales of the road back

Vic
Percy Williams

Runners Knee Pain ( PFPS)

Postby Vic » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:23 am

Hi all.
Few months ago ( March) I developed bilateral knee pain/tenderness right knee, assessed by sport doc, xray done which was normal. Diagnosed with SIJ Dysfunction (Dysfunction in the sacroiliac joint) with leg descrepency ( right shorter than left) causig PFPS (Patellofemoral pain syndrome ),i.e runners knee. Suggested to do exercises to strenghten VMO ( vastus medialis oblique) and Gluteus Medius muscles. Chiro suggested I do few exercises but no other treatment prescibed. I have not run since the middle of march and the last very short run was on Arpil 5th. I have less discomfort now but still feel it . If any of you have experience with PFPS, could you please share your wisdom/experience:

- what treatment was prescribed?
- how long did it take to get back to running?
- would physiotherapy be a better treatment choice?
- what about athletic therapy, acupuncture, etc?
- not sure what chiro could do for me? not sure why I was referred to a chiro...
- any good apps/links regarding VMO and gluteus medius exercises?
Any suggestions/tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Running is cheaper than therapy...
------Running gives me hope.............

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Runners Knee Pain ( PFPS)

Postby Habs4ever » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:20 am

Sorry to hear about your knee injury. I’ve have found these exercises to be very helpful when I have minor flare-ups. The key to strong knees is having a strong core (hips, quads, glutes, hams).

https://runnersconnect.net/the-top-5-hi ... hip-drive/

And this site has some really good stretchy band exercises to help the glutes/hips also:
https://www.self.com/gallery/resistance ... o-anywhere

Hope these help and you get back on the road in no time.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:58 pm

Vic wrote:Hi all.
Few months ago ( March) I developed bilateral knee pain/tenderness right knee, assessed by sport doc, xray done which was normal. Diagnosed with SIJ Dysfunction (Dysfunction in the sacroiliac joint) with leg descrepency ( right shorter than left) causig PFPS (Patellofemoral pain syndrome ),i.e runners knee. Suggested to do exercises to strenghten VMO ( vastus medialis oblique) and Gluteus Medius muscles. Chiro suggested I do few exercises but no other treatment prescibed. I have not run since the middle of march and the last very short run was on Arpil 5th. I have less discomfort now but still feel it . If any of you have experience with PFPS, could you please share your wisdom/experience:

- what treatment was prescribed?
- how long did it take to get back to running?
- would physiotherapy be a better treatment choice?
- what about athletic therapy, acupuncture, etc?
- not sure what chiro could do for me? not sure why I was referred to a chiro...
- any good apps/links regarding VMO and gluteus medius exercises?
Any suggestions/tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Chiro suggestion was probably in hopes of treating leg lenght discrepancy. It is common for women to have pelvis issues (rotated pelvis resulting in leg length issue). If the chiro you consulted didn't find that for you then they might not have much to offer.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:32 pm

Physiotherapy would likely be better. Someone who does more than just give you exercises and walks away, though. Find someone who does a combination of manual therapy, things like ultrasound, TENS, maybe acupuncture, plus the exercises (stretch and strength) for home care.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:11 pm

Whatever you are doing, make sure that you are doing it consistently. Doing exercises a couple times a week will not heal you. Doing exercises daily, and even more than once a day for the stretching and foam rolling will speed up the healing process.

Good luck.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Vic
Percy Williams

Postby Vic » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:51 am

Thank you all for your feedback. This actually helps :D

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:25 am

This is a pretty good video about runners knee. There is also part 2, but I can’t seem to link to it, only part 1.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Er7HFJ1AUBM
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Vic
Percy Williams

Postby Vic » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:35 am

Habs4ever wrote:This is a pretty good video about runners knee. There is also part 2, but I can’t seem to link to it, only part 1.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Er7HFJ1AUBM

Thank you! :D

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”