Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby RA. » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:56 am

New question - stroller running.... when did you start? Any tricks or lessons for a newbie? Jessie will be 6 months next week. I have a BOB, and I know the manual says 8 months for running, but that seems fairly conservative. I remember conversations on the forum way before I thought about having a baby about running with the baby earlier.

I won't run with her in the car seat attachment, I would be too nervous that it would tip. We have too much snow right now to even consider running with her on the crusher dust trails, so that won't be until after 8 months anyway. But I'm wondering about running on the paved roads (back roads) with her soon. There's a great, flat, no traffic road about 1.5km away. I could walk there, then run and walk home. We do have her six month check up coming soon so I can also talk to the doctor, but she's sitting now, so I think her head control is pretty good.

I'm really not in a hurry to run with her, but I guess I'm just looking for options for fitness. I've only run two times in 2017 because I find it hard to get out at convenient times without her. Weekends are my only options to get out without her, and she is napping on stroller walks, so this might be a good way to combine exercise and a nap.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:40 pm

I was running with the BOB when my kids had head control. I can't believe she's almost 6 months already!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:19 pm

I started jogger running w/ all 3 of my babies @ 6 months. Sweet times ahead, RA. Have fun :).
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:34 pm

Thanks for the input! I went back and found some old threads on this as well. I've tried locking the front wheel on walks but that's awful to steer. I've done a little jog down the street on walks and she seems fine. It's not like I was a fast runner even in my prime, so I expect at my pace, it will be fine. :)

And, I know! Where did the time go? I love this age, but I miss the tiny little baby!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:16 pm

I started at 4 months with C and 2 months with F - I used the car seat adapter and took it pretty easy on curbs. I have super smooth paved paths to run on though so I wasn't going up and down over sidewalks. I think the locked vs unlocked is a personal preference. I much prefer unlocked and use that for both running and walking. My double chariot has only a fixed wheel and i find it always pulls one way or another (in part due to the size difference in my kids, but the camber of a road impacts it as well).

Enjoy the stroller runs! My stroller running days are numbered now and I miss both the convenience and the special time!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Return to “The Scenic Route”