A Lady and Her Dog

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
FeatherFool

A Lady and Her Dog

Postby FeatherFool » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Hello! I’m not super sure what I’m on here for- maybe just seeing if other people like me have been successful.

I’m a short, overweight woman in her early 30s. I’ve never been a runner. Canoeing and kayaking are more my speed, generally at a leisurely pace. I’m by no means fit. Sometimes I have to stop and breathe just going up a set of stairs. But...then we got a dog.

He was supposed to be a mastiff cross puppy, a dog more into laying on the couch then exercising. But he kind of isn’t a mastiff. I don’t know what he is except extremely athletic and energetic. He needs more exercise than I am currently able to give him. So, I want to train him to do recreational canicross and kick sledding, both of which my sisters do with their dogs (my sisters both being fairly athletic people). But, I’m no where near fit enough to keep up with him. Plus, maybe going up a flight of stairs without getting winded sounds pretty good to me, too.

He isn’t old enough to run yet: he’s only 9 months old and we were told to wait until he’s 12-18 months for running longer than a minute or two. I have some time to work up to it, and time to train him so he isn’t a menace on the street or trails. We already completed two levels of obedience classes and he’s really good on leash and is very polite- at least more than can usually be expected from a blockhead teenage puppy- but new things take him a while to get used to.

In the mean time, while he is learning how to be a polite harness dog, I’m going to do my best on a couch to 5k program. I modified it a bit because the actual C25K looked scary and intimidating. My ultimate goal is to be able to jog for 30 minutes straight, by September. That’s 5 months, or 20 weeks. That still seems impossible!

I just finished my first “run” today: 5 minutes of stretching, 5 minutes of a brisk walk, then 30 seconds of jogging followed by 2 minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes, then a 10 minute brisk walk, and more stretching.

I’m exhausted. I want a cocoa and a massage and a nap and maybe an entire lasagne. And a hot shower. I don’t have legs, I have two jello tubes that vaguely resemble legs. And what’s with the mucous?? Feels like my lungs and throat are coated in a slimy sweater. Gross. I’m very much looking forward to not doing this tomorrow :P

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Re: A Lady and Her Dog

Postby toobusy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:40 pm

Sounds like the perfect start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicholas
Site Admin

Re: A Lady and Her Dog

Postby Nicholas » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:09 pm

Sounds like a great first day. Keep moving forward and, mucus or no mucus, you will make it to 30 minutes of running!
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Return to “The Scenic Route”