New Here - Question about C25K

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
YoYo

New Here - Question about C25K

Postby YoYo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi there! I am a newbie to this website. I am also a newbie to running. I joined a running group a few years ago and managed to make it to 5k but had to quit when I got pregnant. I am now ready to try it again.

I have a question for those who are familiar with the C25K program. I tried W1D1 yesterday and, surprisingly, it went really well. My question is this - can I make my weeks 8-9 days long instead of a regular 7 day week? At this point in my life with work, my schedule, my family's schedule etc, I can only commit to running 2 X per week.

My schedule would look like this:
Week 1 - Tuesday, Thursday, Tuesday
Week 2 - Thursday, Tuesday, Thursday
and so on.

I can't see any harm in this BUT I thought I would ask the experts.

Thanks!

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:04 pm

i don't see why not. it might take a little bit longer for your body to adjust but nothing significant. i would give it a try for sure.

for a moment there i thought you has some kind of special time machine, and i was going to ask if i could use it.

welcome aboard!
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:21 pm

You'll be skipping 4 days between two of the runs, which means it might take you longer to adapt (even longer than stretching out the weeks like you say). It would be better if you could do Tue/Fri or Mon/Thur. Or even better to sneak in a short run on Sat or Sun, even if it's only half the length of the scheduled run. But if you can't, you can't. Do what you can do and see how you adapt, and don't hesitate to progress a bit more slowly if you have to (i.e., repeat a week sometimes).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:29 am

I think that would be fine. Just tick off the workouts as you go through them.

I used C25K when I "returned to running" and it served me well.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Georgiana
Johnny Miles

Postby Georgiana » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:43 am

< /lurk >

I'm on week 7 of C25k, and I don't really worry about how long any particular 'week' is... instead, since my schedule these days is both busy and flexible (lots to do, but very little that's time-specific), I go when I can and try to make sure that I don't leave more than two days between runs. So far, I haven't had to repeat anything, although I suspect that I will need to do an extra day or two of the current week.

Good luck, and enjoy :)

Georgiana

< lurk >

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Re: New Here - Question about C25K

Postby seuss » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:57 pm

how is it going? i hope you are keeping at it.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

QuickLittleLizard
Percy Williams

Re: New Here - Question about C25K

Postby QuickLittleLizard » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:46 pm

Good question!

We had a funeral a couple of weeks ago, and then the flu hit our house last week and I've fallen behind again just as I started week 2! I'm extending my week 2 by two more attempts this week before moving on to week 3.

I'm going to judge by how my body handles the last stretch of run, if it still feels hard, I'll give it one more try before moving on. But I'm a newbie, too, don't bank on my advice! :lol:
Http://www.marcyitaliano.com
Website Designer, Writer, Twin Mama = one busy gal!

Return to “The Scenic Route”