Accountability Thread

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Re: Accountability Thread

Postby Samantha » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:14 am

Kelodie wrote:
Samantha wrote:Up at 5 am. Ran. ;)

:clap:

Thanks! It was hard get up since I had a snuggly kitty in bed with me. :shock:

My plan is 5 days this week. I shouldn't have any unforeseen (or foreseen for that matter) "not feeling well" issues :roll: and as long as I can sleep through the night :pray:

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:57 am

Samantha wrote:
Kelodie wrote:
Samantha wrote:Up at 5 am. Ran. ;)

:clap:

Thanks! It was hard get up since I had a snuggly kitty in bed with me. :shock:

My plan is 5 days this week. I shouldn't have any unforeseen (or foreseen for that matter) "not feeling well" issues :roll: and as long as I can sleep through the night :pray:

Good luck!

I was thinking this morning how I may change my approach to running this winter. Right now, I usually bike to work and run at lunch on the days that I don't bike to work. I'm going to get my bus pass for November, and I'll probably continue to run outside at lunch for a while. When it gets too cold, I'll try to get up early (6:30 :lol: ) to run on the TM at home before I go to work. I know that I won't want to bring all my stuff to run at lunch on very cold days, so the early TM run will be easier. (yeah, right)
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:09 pm

Kelodie wrote:[When it gets too cold, I'll try to get up early (6:30 :lol: ) to run on the TM at home before I go to work. I know that I won't want to bring all my stuff to run at lunch on very cold days, so the early TM run will be easier. (yeah, right)

just think of me up at 5 am ;)

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:29 pm

Kelodie wrote:Well done Nancy! 37:08 is my 5K PB, so you beat that. :clap:

Are you doing RMB next weekend?

Thanks. Not a 5K pb for me (32:00 is and I knew that was completely out of the question at this point since I'm only running 6/1's) but I was pleased with the efforts/results. Funny thing about the race is I had to ask s/o what time I finished in.... I was so chill on enjoying it for what it was it never dawned on me to look at the clock.... I may have sprinted longer/faster had I looked, just to break the 37 minute mark. I was just so incredibly chill out there.... very relaxing race. Yay!

As for RMB. I'm thinking about it. I'm being a weather wuss, since I'm hearing reports of rainy/cold weather next weekend. How badly do I want it?

Are you?
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:49 pm

a-slow-5 wrote:No gym Friday.
1st outdoor run of the year on Saturday = 2.5K run with a .5K walk w/u (needed to do this for my mental prep)
1st race of the year Sunday = 5K MADD dash. Ran "bareback".... no watch, no garmin, no hrm, just my Shuffle. When 3 songs were done ( or there abouts to get as close to a 6/1 as possible) it meant walk break time. Walked til I felt I didn't need to anymore. No real cardio issues (surprised!), just sore/tired legs (no surprise, esp. after Saturday's run too).

Finish time: 37:05 (No speed demon, but I got it done. :D )

Yea Nancy!!! :D :D :D
Louise

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:59 pm

a-slow-5 wrote:As for RMB. I'm thinking about it. I'm being a weather wuss, since I'm hearing reports of rainy/cold weather next weekend. How badly do I want it?

Are you?

I may volonteer, but I'm not running it. These days, I hurt just running/walking 2.5-3K... I know I could finish it, but the last thing I want is to hurt myself and have to take a forced break.

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:26 am

Kelodie wrote:
a-slow-5 wrote:As for RMB. I'm thinking about it. I'm being a weather wuss, since I'm hearing reports of rainy/cold weather next weekend. How badly do I want it?

Are you?

I may volonteer, but I'm not running it. These days, I hurt just running/walking 2.5-3K... I know I could finish it, but the last thing I want is to hurt myself and have to take a forced break.

I completely agree with what you're saying. There is absolutely nothing to gain by pushing yourself to that distance if you are not comfortable with it yet. Take it slow and enjoy the journey back.

I'm still on the fence. 8) I'd love to run it for many reasons (it's a great cause (Lord knows my family has benefited from this hospital more than enough over the past 7 years!) so I would really really like to support the OH, it's a really nice area to run in, and I'd really really like a new RMB t-shirt - it's one of my faves!).
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:27 am

Boot camp last night. Although I was slow getting in to the groove of the class I felt much better for having done it. Loosened me up and I slept like a rock! Heading to the gym tonight after work. No cardio, just core, strength, stretch. Massage appt later tonight. Yum!

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:16 am

Up at 5; ran. :shock:

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:23 am

I woke up at 6 this morning and I couldn't sleep anymore. I decided to get up and run on the TM. 5 x 3:1s done. Physically, it was OK, but mentally it was really hard.

Following that run, I went to the osteopath and she realigned me. Geez, it hurt. But it should help me remain injury-free so the pain is OK.

Next run will be Saturday morning.

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:37 am

Up at 5 am; ran.

;)

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:48 pm

Wow, look at you ladies go!!!! Good job, both of you!

I (on the other hand :oops: ) skipped the gym last night. Too much junk going on re. my Mom and I was pretty bummed. I'm going tonight though 'cause skipping it only put me in a mental funk that nearly caused me to cross the "no sweets during the week" line. Nearly. I held fast and had a hot chocolate (made with milk) instead.

Gym tonight. There, I said it. Enjoy your evening ladies!

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:45 pm

a-slow-5 wrote:Wow, look at you ladies go!!!! Good job, both of you!

I (on the other hand :oops: ) skipped the gym last night. Too much junk going on re. my Mom and I was pretty bummed. I'm going tonight though 'cause skipping it only put me in a mental funk that nearly caused me to cross the "no sweets during the week" line. Nearly. I held fast and had a hot chocolate (made with milk) instead.

Gym tonight. There, I said it. Enjoy your evening ladies!

So... did you go?

I hope things are under control with your mom. :pray:

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:49 am

Samantha wrote:Up at 5 am; ran.

;)

Ran at 5:00 pm! I planned to bail when it started pouring rain, but by the time I got back to my house, the rain had stopped so I scrapped the excuses, popped dinner in the oven and hit the road for 3km. Felt better for it!

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:59 am

Kelodie wrote:
a-slow-5 wrote:Gym tonight. There, I said it.

So... did you go?

YEP, I did. Did some strengthening then hopped on the t/m, pulled off 4.3K at 7/1's in 30 minutes (t/m time max! argghhh! :evil: I would have done the 4.5K on the schedule otherwise but I didn't want to restart if for the sake of .2K) I struggled a bit with the added time on the interval and had to do 2 x 2 min recovery walks but I got it done. Interesting, no hamstring pain and/or foot numbness either! :shock: Crazy times this running stuff is!!!!!

Heading back tonight for strength, core, stretch (skipping class tonight since I have a blood donation at the same time as class). Send orange vibes for adequate iron levels, pls and thanks!!!!!

YAY Karen!

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:09 am

kc wrote:
Samantha wrote:Up at 5 am; ran.

;)

Ran at 5:00 pm! I planned to bail when it started pouring rain, but by the time I got back to my house, the rain had stopped so I scrapped the excuses, popped dinner in the oven and hit the road for 3km. Felt better for it!

Well done! I know how hard it is to change your mindset when you've made good excuses not to go. :clap:

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:37 am

a-slow-5 wrote:
Kelodie wrote:
a-slow-5 wrote:Gym tonight. There, I said it.

So... did you go?

YEP, I did. Did some strengthening then hopped on the t/m, pulled off 4.3K at 7/1's in 30 minutes (t/m time max! argghhh! :evil: I would have done the 4.5K on the schedule otherwise but I didn't want to restart if for the sake of .2K) I struggled a bit with the added time on the interval and had to do 2 x 2 min recovery walks but I got it done. Interesting, no hamstring pain and/or foot numbness either! :shock: Crazy times this running stuff is!!!!!

Heading back tonight for strength, core, stretch (skipping class tonight since I have a blood donation at the same time as class). Send orange vibes for adequate iron levels, pls and thanks!!!!!

YAY Karen!

I think the 1 minute walk break is not set in stone, especially when you move up to a longer running interval. I usually know it's time for me to move up when I do all my intervals with only taking 1 minute walk break between them.

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:41 am

Kelodie wrote:
I think the 1 minute walk break is not set in stone, especially when you move up to a longer running interval. I usually know it's time for me to move up when I do all my intervals with only taking 1 minute walk break between them.

Very sound advice. (I was doing ok with the 6/1's on the t/m, not so much on race day but more because I was hurting too much and needed a longer break more for my muscles.) I agree. I will not move up to a new level again until I can manage the 7/1's throughout the whole run.

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:35 am

a-slow-5 wrote:
Kelodie wrote:

Very sound advice. (I was doing ok with the 6/1's on the t/m, not so much on race day but more because I was hurting too much and needed a longer break more for my muscles.) I agree. I will not move up to a new level again until I can manage the 7/1's throughout the whole run.

I only move up when I'm relatively comfortable with the interval. If I hurt, if my breathing is out of control, if I need longer walk breaks, I don't move up.

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:42 am

Kelodie wrote: I only move up when I'm relatively comfortable with the interval. If I hurt, if my breathing is out of control, if I need longer walk breaks, I don't move up.

Heck if I based my running on "if I hurt" I wouldn't have even gotten out of bed on the morning of my 1/2 marathon at Picton last year. :lol: :lol:

Seriously, there are days when you are just going to be sorer than others. It's important to recognize the difference between yummy pain and injury pain. (I do.) It's the inexplicable pain that bothers me most but I hadn't experienced it on this round back until my outdoor run on race day. No way was I going to stop for some silly old pain on race day!!!!! :roll:

(I agree on the other factors though, definitely the breathing these days. This is a huge issue for me since I am recommended to run at a much faster pace than I have in the past.)

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:18 am

I'm up to 4:1s! I just ran on the TM and did 4:1s three times and 4:2 once. It was OK physically, but mentally it was really hard. If the body had not cooperated, I would definitely have used this excuse to keep at 3:1s.

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:04 pm

Good job, Claudie!

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:59 pm

Kelodie wrote:I'm up to 4:1s! I just ran on the TM and did 4:1s three times and 4:2 once. It was OK physically, but mentally it was really hard. If the body had not cooperated, I would definitely have used this excuse to keep at 3:1s.

Woo hoo! That's awesome! I always find the jump from 3 to 4 and then 4 to 5 very hard mentally too. It always feels SOOOOOOO long. But you've done it now! :mrgreen:

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:00 pm

I haven't ran since Wednesday. I've had a horrible cold and I'm not the type that can run while sick (plus I'm actually really sick). It may be until Tuesday or Weds before I get back at it.

And I'll do another week of 2:1s. :lol: :roll: ;)

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:30 pm

Well, 2:1s are better than 0:0s! :wink:

Plus, 2:1s done at 5am are worth at least 5:1s in my books. :lol:

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11

Return to “The Scenic Route”