Back in the Saddle Again

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
FishPants
Lynn Williams

Re: Back in the Saddle Again

Postby FishPants » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:42 am

John slept for an hour in the stroller yesterday while I ran :)

my arm with the band was to prove I was there doing the run! I emailed to a friend who looks for me there on Weds.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:20 am

Sooooooo cute. I love sleeping baby faces!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:33 am

I can lend you mine, US, if you want to try ;)

UGH was going to go for a run today, but it is POURING. I have a cover for the stroller, but it's plastic and Miss M freaks out when hard rain hits it - I guess it gets super noisy in there.

I am contemplating bringing some toys to the gym in my building and going on the treadmill. Hmmmmmm. Wonder if people would get annoyed...!

:)
RG
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
Mary Pickford

Next up:
No Pressure! Run when I want, cycle when I want, swim when I want ;)

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:51 pm

Is there an indoor track anywhere nearby? Depending on the ol' back, I may head out tommorow morning for G's short power nap at 8:30 am (which he needs since he is up at 5am every single day :evil: ). I have been walking to keep my back limber, so I don't see the harm in throwing in a bit of running there.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:02 am

I LOOOOOVe the little tongue sticking out!!! Awwwww!

You are a genius! there IS an indoor track nearby - AND they even have childminding there..... Off to google and see what time it starts at :)
Muchas gracias!
RG
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."

Mary Pickford

Next up:

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:13 am

Keep at it! It does get easier! Stroller running always sucks, but it makes the non-stroller runs so much better.

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:44 am

Ugh - I checked the indoor track - it would cost me $10 to run including babysitting. That kind of sucks - a bit expensive IMHO.

Will run late - maybe the torrential downpour will turn into a trickle???

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:44 pm

Hey RG - I am at the dance studio on Mondays (5-6:30) and Wednesdays (3:30-5) if you'd like to go for a power walk. And, Saturdays I am there from 10:30-11:30am but I usually have my oldest with me... we would be happy to look after Miss M while you go for a run. ;)
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:15 pm

randomgirl wrote:Ugh - I checked the indoor track - it would cost me $10 to run including babysitting. That kind of sucks - a bit expensive IMHO.

Will run late - maybe the torrential downpour will turn into a trickle???

RG

I run with my stroller on the indoor track. Yes, it sucks, but oh well :)

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:41 am

Thank you. Lisa - that is sooo generous! That Wednesday one sounds tempting - 5pm is usually a good time for Miss M - she's usually nice and charming then ;) Can I connect with you when I get back from japan (mid April)???

And FP that's an interesting idea - I never thought of that, because they offer babysitting - but tha would knock 5$ off the price. I will have to call them!

I also discovered another option. There is an exersaucer in the basement of my complex - I could bring it up and put it in front of the treadmill and get in a few minutes while she entertains herself. I don't know if others would object though....

Thanks guys - I am going to get rid of those pregnancy pounds, by hook or by crook!!!

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:30 am

I did the exersaucer/bouncy chair thing while I ran. I would get about 10 min out of Jake but Cait was mesmerized and I could go a half hour or more. Give it a try!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:27 pm

IronColl wrote:I did the exersaucer/bouncy chair thing while I ran. I would get about 10 min out of Jake but Cait was mesmerized and I could go a half hour or more. Give it a try!

I was doing the bouncy chair with John while on the trainer. He loves watching the back wheel of my bike. I would get 20-30 minutes before he would get cranky, but he always got cranky when I was stretching and he couldn't watch the wheel spin anymore!

I don't have a treadmill, so I can't offer feedback there :)

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:26 pm

OK, I think I will try it tomorrow! It will also be loads easier to get in a run now that the time has changed. I didn't even think of that! Miss M wakes from her nap at around 5pm, and doesn't eat until 6:30 - so I could easily fit in a run during that time - if I prep dinner earlier, that is.

YAY for spring!

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:49 pm

I found the "best" thing was to sneak it in as best as you could. IMO as soon as I planned a run, the schedule went to pot!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:50 pm

IronColl wrote:I found the "best" thing was to sneak it in as best as you could. IMO as soon as I planned a run, the schedule went to pot!

I read it 3X over before I realized you said "pot" not "poo" there :lol: :lol:

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:00 pm

LOL Prats!

Too true, IG, too true. That's the way it is with everything these days!!!

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:46 pm

randomgirl wrote:Thank you. Lisa - that is sooo generous! That Wednesday one sounds tempting - 5pm is usually a good time for Miss M - she's usually nice and charming then ;) Can I connect with you when I get back from japan (mid April)???

Yes, of course!!!! In fact, I'll be watching here to see what you're up to.. ;)
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:11 am

Thank you!!!! I'll be awol while in Japan. Y's parents have never even turned on a computer - don't even have a DVD player, in fact. Will be a looong and internetless 3 weeks, alas!! Will reappear magically again mid april though! :)

I had a good run today - in fact, probably the best run (minus Miss M's screaming at the end) since I started running again! It felt so good and freeing and natural, and I wasn't as bugged by the stroller this time! YAY! I guess this means I should start doing 4 and 1s, huh???

In other news, Anners posted on her FB that she was at the hospital today and nothing since - methinks that mini Anners is making an appearance!!! GOOOOO ANNERS!

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:35 am

Grr Frustrated!

Long story short: I had gestational diabetes, and now I am struggling to get my blood sugar issues straightened out. I am going through lots of testing, and each time they make me drink one of those syrupy drinks, every hair on my body stands on end. I've had 4 of these tests in the past couple of months. The long and short of it is that my blood sugar is high in the morning (well, 6.0 is just on the borderline of normal, sometimes I'm 5.9 and sometimes 6.1), and about 2 hours after I eat it *should* go back to normal (non-diabetic) or be high (diabetic) - instead, I go hypoglycemic! I actually blacked out afer my last glucose tolerance test and when they took my blood sugar, I was at a 3.8! THEN I tested my blood sugar just before and then 30 minutes after running - diabetic or non diabetic, it should register lower after running. My before number was 6.1 and my after number was 6.8. Now why on earth is my sugar going up? I am soooo confused! :(

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:06 am

I am sorry to hear that RG. :( That must be so frusterating.

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:58 am

Thanks for listening to me vent pts. Sometimes I get so frusrated - like I am a gazelle trapped in the body of a canteloupe :( Though I know in the same breath that there are a lot of people struggling with a lot worse! (and some of them are maniacs too!)

Huge hugs!

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:05 am

Is someone following you for your gestational diabetes? Do you have a blood glucose machine at home? It might be worth taking your blood sugar before and after every meal, when you get up and before bed, and before and after a run for a week or two and write down a detailed (with times) record of what you are eating, and bring it to that doctor to find a plan that will work for you. It takes a lot of experimentation, because everyone is so individual.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:03 pm

Thanks TCC! I have to get more strips for my home machine, but that's a good idea and I'll start it when I can (off for a month to japan - leave next Thursday)!!! ;)

That way, she'll have something more tangible. I got my results back from my glucose test on Saturday. They did an A1C, which shows the thickness of the buidup of glucose around one's hemoglobin (if I understand it correctly) and I am at 5.8 - a little high, but still with in the cutoff (6.0). However, this is just an average, so it flattens out any unusual results - if I have a pattern of high numbers plus hypoglycemia, it wouldn't show up here. Also, my blood sugars reflected no glucose problems with this test. my fasting was low (5.3 - the lowest in a long time, actually - perhaps due to my fish dinner the night before?), then my 2 hours post was 4.6. So it looks by these results that I am comfortably in the normal range. It doesn't show that my glucose kept going down after the test and had hypoglycemia.

I don't know - I think your idea of keeping a detailed log for a couple of weeks will show more than these tests!

OK, someone's getting fussy, gotta run! Thanks for the replies!!!!

A

Mary Pickford

Next up:

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:48 pm

randomgirl wrote:Thanks TCC! I have to get more strips for my home machine, but that's a good idea and I'll start it when I can (off for a month to japan - leave next Thursday)!!! ;)

That way, she'll have something more tangible. I got my results back from my glucose test on Saturday. They did an A1C, which shows the thickness of the buidup of glucose around one's hemoglobin (if I understand it correctly) and I am at 5.8 - a little high, but still with in the cutoff (6.0). However, this is just an average, so it flattens out any unusual results - if I have a pattern of high numbers plus hypoglycemia, it wouldn't show up here. Also, my blood sugars reflected no glucose problems with this test. my fasting was low (5.3 - the lowest in a long time, actually - perhaps due to my fish dinner the night before?), then my 2 hours post was 4.6. So it looks by these results that I am comfortably in the normal range. It doesn't show that my glucose kept going down after the test and had hypoglycemia.

I don't know - I think your idea of keeping a detailed log for a couple of weeks will show more than these tests!

OK, someone's getting fussy, gotta run! Thanks for the replies!!!!

A

The HBA1C gives a measure of how good your blood glucose control has been over the last 3 months - it measures how much sugar is stuck to your heoglobin, because the amount stuck on rises steadily as your blood sugar does. It will show if you're having lots of highs and lows, because more sugar will become irreversibly stuck to the red blood cell hemoglobin during the highs. It is over 3 months because that's how long a red blood cell survives in the big scary world of the circulatory system :lol:. And the good news is that normal (even "high normal") is still normal - the normal values are based on the range of normal seen in large populations.

Keeping a log is a great idea - also remember to log how you're feeling so that you can tell if there's a correlation with the measurements. If you feel awful at 5.8 one day, but great at 5.8 the next, start looking for other things that might be affecting either your sugars or how you're feeling. And make sure you've had your thyroid function checked!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:50 pm

Thank you for trying to explain it to me - I want to make sure that I get it. So it gets stuck on during the highs and stays there, and builds up only during the highs? Having lows wouldn't impact the amount that builds up? Am I understanding it right? Thank you!

I really want to be careful, as I know I am at much greater risk for type 2 in these next few years (gestational diabetes), and given these risks, I am not comfortable hovering at the higher end of normal. I just worry that in looking and focussing at the bigger picture (A1C), important details will be lost. In any case, I have an appt with my Dr on April 28th to talk about all this stuff - so I think having a log would be helpful for that!

Thanks again! Here's hoping that things will level off over the next few weeks!

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

Return to “The Scenic Route”