Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
pts
Lynn Williams

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby pts » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:27 am

Good Work RG!

Kristi wrote:There is always the push and catch up technique as well - which I only do with the wrist strap attached because it freaks me out. But when I'm tired of running without my arms, I'll push the stroller a foot or so ahead and then catch up. It's a nice bit of a break, but I'm not sure that it's any easier.

I tried that yesterday (with the strap) on a wide path, and it worked well. I can't do it on sidewalk though, I find it veers too much to quickly.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:10 am

pts wrote:Good Work RG!

Kristi wrote:There is always the push and catch up technique as well - which I only do with the wrist strap attached because it freaks me out. But when I'm tired of running without my arms, I'll push the stroller a foot or so ahead and then catch up. It's a nice bit of a break, but I'm not sure that it's any easier.

I tried that yesterday (with the strap) on a wide path, and it worked well. I can't do it on sidewalk though, I find it veers too much to quickly.

Good point! I usually run with the stroller on the path so it's easier to do. And we have a fixed front wheel so it's very intentional to change directions! D will do it without the strap, but I've told him to only do it when I'm not looking!

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:14 am

Hmmm - where can I get a strap??? So they sell them at running stores, or do I have to go to a stroller-carrying store?
Thanks!
:)
RG
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
Mary Pickford

Next up:
No Pressure! Run when I want, cycle when I want, swim when I want ;)

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:38 am

My stroller came with a strap, but basically anything that attaches to the stroller and your wrist would work. I think that the strap on our stroller is probably 1 1/2 feet long so you can never get too far away.

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:00 am

Hmmm - I have a strap that snaps onto the stroller and a toy (so when they throw or drop the toy, it doesn't bounce out of the stroller). If I reinforced it somehow, it would probably work... Hmmmm.

Thanks for the tips!

RG

PS - good sign, I am starting to itch for a run again, trying to figure out how I can get another one in today or tomorrow :) YAY!
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."

Mary Pickford

Next up:

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:44 am

oops- I should lock my front wheel!

RG- remember to attach the strap LOW on the stroller, not the handle part so that when you pull on it it doesn't tip the whole thing over. That may seem obvious to you (if so, sorry for the dumb advice), but for some reason my "mom" brain didn't get why it was around the base at first.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:49 am

good advice on the strap! I have been putting mine on the handle. Mine came with the stroller.

A dog leash would work, too, as a strap, I think.

Kristi, congrats on #2!! n How exciting :D

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:52 pm

I don't run with the locked wheel and I have never ran with the strap. I found with the locked wheel I was constantly adjusting the course.

I did pump the tires up and today's run was 30s/km faster than last weeks. The front wheel was almost flat!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:26 pm

On our old single running stroller, the wheels would go flat during a run - it was impossible to keep them inflated! I was going to go and get new tubes for the tires, but the guy who bought it from me wanted to do all that himself (he's a cycling fanatic, too!), so I just left it.

The new stroller wheels seem much much better.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:57 pm

PTS - thank you! I would never have thought of that, but you're right!!!!

Gulp, I hope you didn't find that out the hard way...

;)
RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:26 pm

Can I join in about 8 months? I'll be starting from scratch and that really scares me. There. I've said it. I'm afraid I just won't start again.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:06 pm

Like, duh, you can join!!

The hard part is that it does feel like starting over. That's when I found it helped to do lots of shorter runs at first.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:40 pm

LadyJ wrote:Can I join in about 8 months? I'll be starting from scratch and that really scares me. There. I've said it. I'm afraid I just won't start again.

If you want, we can give you a kick in the @ss! :) Congrats btw- honestly, for me, running is SO MUCH LESS important than it was before having a baby, but I still like it (well, sort of).

RG- nope, D told me, so no need to learn the hard way. I did almost find out the hard way not to put the stroller when locked too close to a wall though, since G kicked against the wall and almost tipped the stroller! :shock:

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:46 pm

LadyJ wrote:Can I join in about 8 months? I'll be starting from scratch and that really scares me. There. I've said it. I'm afraid I just won't start again.

You will start again! It seriously is a nice little piece of sanity and "me" time. I still like it as much as I did before and probably run the same amount. Plus I want Owen to have a fit hot cool mom to brag about :lol:.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:13 pm

Tori wrote:It seriously is a nice little piece of sanity and "me" time.

I'm definitely looking forward to that part. Joe has promised that he'll watch the baby when I want to run, but I'm not sure he understands that means changing a diaper or two :wink:

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:27 pm

I ran yesterday while Gram pushed the stroller. Overnight, my hip locked up. Ow.

Sometimes, crabby baby = Mom not stretching enough!

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:42 pm

OOOOH - I totally get that not stretching enough thing! I've learned to bring a baby Mum mum cracker or two along *just* so that I make sure to get stretching time in!

And Lady J, of course you can join in! I was afraid I wouldn't start either. After Miss M was born, I was determined to get back out there, but then there was the c-section, then her colic and reflux and screaming 6-8 hours a day, then by the time I got out there, I couldn't even do 3X 2and1s because the carseat in the stroller was sooooo heavy. So then "getting back to running right away" didn't happen for about 6 months after Miss M was born. But now spring is here, the Olympics inspired me, and I decided to not care about how much or how long I ran. I also decided not to think about my past running ( "but a couple of years ago I did a half marathon!' was a common negative thought that ran through my head). Oh, and I was (am) scared that my gestational diabetes will come back to bite me as type 2, so I kicked myself in the butt and committed to do the absolute minimum running possible. I vowed to get out the door and run for at least 5 minutes once a week. After 2 weeks, this became 6 X 2 and 1's. I won't lie - it took about 4 or 5 weeks, but now I am starting to get the itch back (wanna run, wanna run) and am doing 4 and 1's. I am excited about running again! And Miss M turns 8 months old next week :)

So you may take off longer than you wish. in the grand scheme of a lifetime (and your child's lifetime) it isn't a lot. Your body will remember how much you loved running (but maybe not right away!)

Or at least this was my experience!!!

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:50 pm

randomgirl wrote:... and I decided to not care about how much or how long I ran. I also decided not to think about my past running ( "but a couple of years ago I did a half marathon!' was a common negative thought that ran through my head). Oh, and I was (am) scared that my gestational diabetes will come back to bite me as type 2, so I kicked myself in the butt and committed to do the absolute minimum running possible.

So you may take off longer than you wish. in the grand scheme of a lifetime (and your child's lifetime) it isn't a lot. Your body will remember how much you loved running (but maybe not right away!)

Or at least this was my experience!!!

RG

I was looking at my log from last year. There were a couple of the shorter faster runs that were done slower at what now is my easoer pace, with comments like "holy @$%@ that was hard". At the time, it doesn't seem that you will be able to be where you were before, but with time and consistency it does come back. When you start back, your ego has to stay home.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:30 pm

After kid #1, I did 1 and 1's around the block... in DH's pants, because I couldn't get into mine... not a pretty sight :D . It comes back... even if you think you can never recover the runner you "used" to be, you'll be back. And even if you aren't doing things or distances you were before, oh well. You actually are a different person than you were before, with way more demands on you, and it takes time to get comfortable.

And... I found it waaaaaaaaay easier with #2! I think because I had fewer expectations :D .
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:41 am

Hammie wrote:After kid #1, I did 1 and 1's around the block... in DH's pants, because I couldn't get into mine... not a pretty sight :D . It comes back... even if you think you can never recover the runner you "used" to be, you'll be back. And even if you aren't doing things or distances you were before, oh well. You actually are a different person than you were before, with way more demands on you, and it takes time to get comfortable.

And... I found it waaaaaaaaay easier with #2! I think because I had fewer expectations :D .

I started again with 1 and 1s as well and it was humbling, but it doesn't long to get it back. I actually ended up after a year a faster runner than I used to be! But with different expectations and priorities.

I'm happy to hear that it was easier with #2!

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:44 am

Yay moms!!
Just call me the thread killa

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:22 am

Just sneaking in to say "Congrats, LadyJ!"
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:46 am

Thanks RA! I guess you missed the Facebook announcement :wink:

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:38 pm

Wow. I'm glad I decided to stalk this thread a bit!

Congrats to Lady J.!

I admire all you mommies and preggies that keep running! I didn't start running until my "baby" was 3. I wish I had known before that what I was capable of!

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:09 pm

Oh! I am newly returned to the site so I didn't realize it was news - a super shout out to Lady J then - congratulations!!!! A fall baby then???

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

Return to “The Scenic Route”