Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
pts
Lynn Williams

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby pts » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:38 am

eme wrote:
pts wrote:I have a good story that I figure HRMs would sympathize with (as both runners and people who have been pregnant). I was at a race yesterday since DH and my sister were doing it. So, I had the two kids and me at 8.5 months pregnant, outside in the cold while they ran for over an hour. M decided she needed to be held the entire time (and I forgot a stroller) and I did a fair bit of walking (to start line, to car, to tent, to bathroom etc.) with my 25lb weight attached to my hip. We decided to go in the 'warm tent' for a bit and there were only a few chairs there. I got a chair for G and M to split and then was standing myself on the hard concrete floor. After a few minutes I realized that there was no way I was going to be able to stand for that long (getting a lot of SI and pelvic pain these days, made worse by carrying M). So, I saw a woman with not one but TWO chairs, one with her feet up on it. I normally am not the type to use the 'pregnant can I have your seat' card, but I was in a bit of pain and could really use a chair (the concrete floor was not working for me). So, I went over and asked the woman if I could have the chair her feet were on. She replied "Oh, actually I am elevating my foot, I twisted my ankle on wednesday." and DIDN'T give me her chair- FFS! :roll: Gotta love the self-entitled runner (and there were places she could have moved her chair to elevate the ankle on a ledge!). Anyway, someone else saw me ask and gave me her chair (and I thanked her very loudly and she gave dirty looks to the other woman). Anyway, I almost hit angry pregnant lady stage with this woman (and I generally am not an angry pregnant lady!). But, I figure- running KARMA can be a B!tch, woman! :lol:

She twisted her ankle on Wednesday and still raced? Then she is not only a B!tch, but stupid. Karma will pay her back ;)

No, she was just spectating, this was while we were waiting for the runners to come in. If she had run, that would have ALMOST justified (well, not justified but at least explained) her taking up the seats. She was just another spectator who NEEDED two seats because she was an 'injured runner' :roll:
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:39 am

pts wrote:
eme wrote:
pts wrote:I have a good story that I figure HRMs would sympathize with (as both runners and people who have been pregnant). I was at a race yesterday since DH and my sister were doing it. So, I had the two kids and me at 8.5 months pregnant, outside in the cold while they ran for over an hour. M decided she needed to be held the entire time (and I forgot a stroller) and I did a fair bit of walking (to start line, to car, to tent, to bathroom etc.) with my 25lb weight attached to my hip. We decided to go in the 'warm tent' for a bit and there were only a few chairs there. I got a chair for G and M to split and then was standing myself on the hard concrete floor. After a few minutes I realized that there was no way I was going to be able to stand for that long (getting a lot of SI and pelvic pain these days, made worse by carrying M). So, I saw a woman with not one but TWO chairs, one with her feet up on it. I normally am not the type to use the 'pregnant can I have your seat' card, but I was in a bit of pain and could really use a chair (the concrete floor was not working for me). So, I went over and asked the woman if I could have the chair her feet were on. She replied "Oh, actually I am elevating my foot, I twisted my ankle on wednesday." and DIDN'T give me her chair- FFS! :roll: Gotta love the self-entitled runner (and there were places she could have moved her chair to elevate the ankle on a ledge!). Anyway, someone else saw me ask and gave me her chair (and I thanked her very loudly and she gave dirty looks to the other woman). Anyway, I almost hit angry pregnant lady stage with this woman (and I generally am not an angry pregnant lady!). But, I figure- running KARMA can be a B!tch, woman! :lol:

She twisted her ankle on Wednesday and still raced? Then she is not only a B!tch, but stupid. Karma will pay her back ;)

No, she was just spectating, this was while we were waiting for the runners to come in. If she had run, that would have ALMOST justified (well, not justified but at least explained) her taking up the seats. She was just another spectator who NEEDED two seats because she was an 'injured runner' :roll:

Oh please. If she was that bad off, she shouldn't have come :roll:

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:44 pm

Are you sure you even look pregnant?? 8)
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:47 pm

IronColl wrote:Are you sure you even look pregnant?? 8)

I love you. :wink:

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:29 am

Nope- I definitely look pregnant. I think I should get an extreme spectating medal:

http://photos.mysportsshooter.com/viewphoto/17741-874-18153229/2/

(ps- my daughter is so cute!). :D

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:03 pm

pts wrote:Nope- I definitely look pregnant. I think I should get an extreme spectating medal:

Yes, she IS so cute. But no....you kinda don't look all that pregnant.

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:45 pm

AndyM wrote:
pts wrote:Nope- I definitely look pregnant. I think I should get an extreme spectating medal:

Winter coats hide a lot!!

I think I am obviously pregnant, but I have had people tell me that they aren't sure - even when I am in a tight shirt with no coat. :roll:

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:30 pm

AndyM wrote:

I could still wear my regular winter coat through my pregnancies so you couldnt tell when I was wearing it. However, if you think aboiut that statement for a few minutes you can see how awful it really is! :lol:
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:47 pm

IronColl wrote:
AndyM wrote:

I could still wear my regular winter coat through my pregnancies so you couldnt tell when I was wearing it. However, if you think aboiut that statement for a few minutes you can see how awful it really is! :lol:

You guys are all too sweet.

Colleen- it means Santa better be getting you a new winter coat to show off your hot momma figure!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:10 pm

i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Jwolf » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:52 pm

I saw those jackets- the babies are cute but the jackets look kind of useless. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:19 pm

It is pretty much the cutest thing ever, but we didn't get a tonne of wear out of it this year, because it's a pretty light weight jacket, but not useful for rain. I think it will probably still fit in the spring though. (it was a gift)
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:44 am

Happy New Year, Mommas!!!

Goals for 2013?

I am going to take a few minutes off my half-marathon pppb in February, and I am training for a May marathon. And you know, all that other life stuff too. :D
Next?
:)

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:11 pm

rockstar79 wrote:Goals for 2013?

-Positive birth experience and happy, healthy baby in March
-Be engaged and loving with my boys, eke out some one-on-one time with each (including Dan!)
-Run 5K comfortably by the end of the year (resolution run goal?), barring illness, injury, etc.

I hope the holidays were good to all our Mommas! We kept Christmas modest, and I am happy that the boys are playing with all the things that were given to them. To me that says we didn't go overboard. :)

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:00 am

I know there are some mommas running! Report in!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:25 pm

I'm here and running! Or at least, trying to. My early bird has been getting up extra early lately, so I'm having a hard time fitting in my runs. I usually get up early to run before anyone is awake, but if she wakes up before I go, I feel really bad leaving her, because then it means DH has to get up too (and he's not getting much sleep these days trying to finish his PhD).

I need my morning run to make me a happy camper before I go to my crazy job! Not sure what to do. :(
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:35 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:I'm here and running! Or at least, trying to. My early bird has been getting up extra early lately, so I'm having a hard time fitting in my runs. I usually get up early to run before anyone is awake, but if she wakes up before I go, I feel really bad leaving her, because then it means DH has to get up too (and he's not getting much sleep these days trying to finish his PhD).

I need my morning run to make me a happy camper before I go to my crazy job! Not sure what to do. :(

do you think a lunchtime run would ever work?

I'm considering bringing an extra set of clothes (if I have two sets!) into the office since I find that without my running stuff here, I often want to run at lunch! A quick 30 minute run would be great.....
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:17 pm

Irongirl wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:I'm here and running! Or at least, trying to. My early bird has been getting up extra early lately, so I'm having a hard time fitting in my runs. I usually get up early to run before anyone is awake, but if she wakes up before I go, I feel really bad leaving her, because then it means DH has to get up too (and he's not getting much sleep these days trying to finish his PhD).

do you think a lunchtime run would ever work?

I'm considering bringing an extra set of clothes (if I have two sets!) into the office since I find that without my running stuff here, I often want to run at lunch! A quick 30 minute run would be great.....

Unfortunately, I can so rarely get away at lunch. :( And if I can, I can't count on it, so I'd hate to aim for a lunch time run, and then not be able to go. But you're right - maybe I should think about bringing in some clothes *just in case*. Tricky in the winter though! I have two coats, but not sure about two sets of gloves etc.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:08 am

Just signed up for the Mississauga 1/2 this morning! The boys have been sleeping really well lately and I've been making good use of the treadmill after bedtime and it's been feeling great. I'm very much looking forward to the nice weather so I can run outside comfortably. I'm mostly just trying to stay healthy so I can keep running. Last year was a bit rough and now that I'm back into a regular running routine, I'm reminded (again!) how much I love it.

Let's hear from the other mommas!

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:11 pm

yay for signing up for a race, Kristi!

I'm putting in 20-30 min on the treadmill a few times a week. That's all I can handle right now. One more month and I am back to work :(

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:55 pm

My solution might not make me very popular - but leave your early bird with your DH, go for your run, and don't feel guilty about it. You can also try things like tucking her into bed with Daddy and some form of video player. Then he can doze, and Pixar can parent for him.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:57 pm

Yeah Kristi and anners! Except for the return to work sad face.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:22 pm

FishPants wrote:

My solution might not make me very popular - but leave your early bird with your DH, go for your run, and don't feel guilty about it. You can also try things like tucking her into bed with Daddy and some form of video player. Then he can doze, and Pixar can parent for him.

This. Your sanity is just as important as his. Take the time for yourself.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:39 pm

would it be better to try to use the treadmill in the evening instead? i realize that you like the morning runs, but if it's evening or nothing, i would guess you'd settle for evening. then you'd be less likely to wake her up in the morning and everyone could get some extra sleep.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

da
Bill Crothers

Postby da » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:53 am

I'll be joining the running Momma's in the spring. I'm currently not running through my pregnancy but I'm trying to stay active.

I'm currently looking at strollers and from what I can tell from past threads the BOB Revolution SE seems to be a popular choice.

I am considering only buying the one stroller and using the bucket carseat attachment for walks until they are ready for running. Has anyone else done the same?

Return to “The Scenic Route”