What do you eat before you run ?

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
Geisha Girl
Johnny Miles

What do you eat before you run ?

Postby Geisha Girl » Tue May 04, 2010 10:43 am

What do you guys find gives you that little extra boost you need before you head out for a run. I am a commuter - Hamilton to Toronto - I usually get home around 7pm - I want to get out and do my run right away before it gets dark (and before my butt gets stuck to the couch) - and as such usually just go out the door - but yesterday I found myself sluggish - and wondered what I could have eaten in order to give a boost but without ruining dinner - I am currently running about 2.5 to 2.8 km in 20 mins. What do y'all suggest?
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second. Give your dreams all you've got and you'll be amazed at the energy that comes out of you." --William James

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Re: What do you eat before you run ?

Postby b_squared » Tue May 04, 2010 10:58 am

Geisha Girl wrote:What do you guys find gives you that little extra boost you need before you head out for a run. I am a commuter - Hamilton to Toronto - I usually get home around 7pm - I want to get out and do my run right away before it gets dark (and before my butt gets stuck to the couch) - and as such usually just go out the door - but yesterday I found myself sluggish - and wondered what I could have eaten in order to give a boost but without ruining dinner - I am currently running about 2.5 to 2.8 km in 20 mins. What do y'all suggest?

You definitely do not want to be hungry to start a run. How about having a snack during you commute home? At that time of day I like clif bars, fruit, milk but really anything that will take the edge off without filling you up might do the trick.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue May 04, 2010 10:58 am

Geisha Girl wrote:What do you guys find gives you that little extra boost you need before you head out for a run. I am a commuter - Hamilton to Toronto - I usually get home around 7pm - I want to get out and do my run right away before it gets dark (and before my butt gets stuck to the couch) - and as such usually just go out the door - but yesterday I found myself sluggish - and wondered what I could have eaten in order to give a boost but without ruining dinner - I am currently running about 2.5 to 2.8 km in 20 mins. What do y'all suggest?

If I'm running when I get home from work, I try to eat a granola bar or some crackers & PB with an apple just before I leave work. That way it isn't still sitting in my stomach when I walk out the door to run, and I'm not so hungry when I finally have dinner that I overeat.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue May 04, 2010 11:15 am

a piece of toast with pb, and a glass of milk. perfect pre-run snack. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Tue May 04, 2010 11:16 am

I often have a few crackers with peanut butter about 2-2.5 hours before my run. Sometimes, I'll have a piece of a nut loaf or a granola bar. The trick for me is to eat this snack long enough before my run so that I don't have any digestive issues.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Tue May 04, 2010 3:55 pm

ultraslacker wrote:a piece of toast with pb, and a glass of milk. perfect pre-run snack. :)

The toast with peanut butter - can't go wrong with that for sure. The milk, though, is a different issue. For some people it really works, and if it does then definitely go with it. But for others, pre-run milk can cause some pretty nasty GI issues, including cramping, bloating, gas, and....well, other issues.

Pre-run nutrition is very individual and very trial-and-error oriented. Basically you just have to look for something some carbs and a bit of protein.

killerbeetle
Bruce Kidd

Postby killerbeetle » Mon May 10, 2010 8:16 pm

I eat just about anything and everything. Today I ate a moose and veggie wrap with pesto, gulped down a glass of water, waited about 5-10 min for it to settle and headed out the door to run 4km.

My favourites though that are practical for people with more sensitive tummies would be muffins, bananas, and peanut butter. PB on either a muffin or bread, or a PB, banana and marshmallow wrap.
2013 Plans:

Get off butt.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Mon May 10, 2010 8:30 pm

No PB for this chicka! :sick: I tried it once years ago and ran with PB burps for 2 hours. NOT FUN! Although, when I do long rides this is a staple in my bento box: small whole wheat/multi grain tortilla with peanut butter, half a banana (sliced lengthwise) and slivered almonds. YUM!

For running, hummus & crackers, small wrap with a bit of tuna, hard cooked egg or an apple & small slice of cheddar are faves for me. But only if I'm going to be out for an hour or so.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue May 11, 2010 12:23 pm

killerbeetle wrote:a PB, banana and marshmallow wrap.

Ooooohhhhhhh... that sounds good!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

killerbeetle
Bruce Kidd

Postby killerbeetle » Tue May 11, 2010 3:59 pm

Hammie wrote:
killerbeetle wrote:a PB, banana and marshmallow wrap.

Ooooohhhhhhh... that sounds good!

haha yeah, the perks of having a toddler :P
2013 Plans:

Get off butt.

Geisha Girl
Johnny Miles

Postby Geisha Girl » Tue May 11, 2010 11:00 pm

Thanks runners. I tried Peanut Butter before my run on sat and it didn't agree but on monday had an english muffin an hour before and it was perfect. Trial and error I guess.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second. Give your dreams all you've got and you'll be amazed at the energy that comes out of you." --William James

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed May 12, 2010 12:03 am

killerbeetle wrote:I eat just about anything and everything. Today I ate a moose and veggie wrap with pesto, gulped down a glass of water, waited about 5-10 min for it to settle and headed out the door to run 4km.

I read this the funny way....like the veggie wrap with pesto was in addition to the moose :)

killerbeetle
Bruce Kidd

Postby killerbeetle » Wed May 12, 2010 10:37 am

FishPants wrote:
killerbeetle wrote:I eat just about anything and everything. Today I ate a moose and veggie wrap with pesto, gulped down a glass of water, waited about 5-10 min for it to settle and headed out the door to run 4km.

I read this the funny way....like the veggie wrap with pesto was in addition to the moose :)

lol I think I'd have to run pretty far before I could eat a whole moose :lol:
2013 Plans:

Get off butt.

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Wed May 12, 2010 11:01 am

We are all an experiment of one. What training programme someone recommends, might not work for you. What someone eats before a run, might not work for you. The key (and fun) is to experiment and find out what is optimal for you!

Lately, I've been having a large spoonful of Nutella. :drool:
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Geisha Girl
Johnny Miles

Postby Geisha Girl » Wed May 12, 2010 11:14 am

Nutella is very popular on crepes with a dash of Grande Marnier in Paris - Yummy - not sure this is good running fuel though - however, I do volunteer to go to Paris to "experiment" hehe!!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed May 12, 2010 11:19 am

A bowl of cereal is one of my pre-run staples. But as others have said, if you can eat during your commute home that would likely be better than eating as soon as you get home, then going for a run. If you don't have the option to eat on the way home, you could also take a gel pre-run. That's about 100 calories, which should be plenty for a 20-min run.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Return to “The Scenic Route”