Back in the Saddle again?

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi all, long time no see!

I've been a bit awol, not only from RM, but from exercise in general :( In September I herniated two discs in my back (L4 and L5) and also did something to bungle up my SI joint. It took 2 weeks of icing my SI joint 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off just to get the inflammation down enough to be able to begin work on it. It has taken me a full 6 months to recover. Now the discs seem to be OK, but my SI joint is still prone to "locking" on me. Still, my medical team has said I can start to re-introduce exercise into my life again - yippee!

I'm just not sure how to go about it. My physio is a swimmer, my chiro is a weights kind of guy and my doctor a cyclist - so none of them have great info on how to get back into running again safely.

Anyone here have any advice???

And how the heck have you all been???

:)
RG
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
Mary Pickford

Next up:
No Pressure! Run when I want, cycle when I want, swim when I want ;)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Back in the Saddle again?

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:46 pm

YAY she's back! :)

I'm glad to hear that your back is FINALLY feeling better!

Before we run, we walk... so I recommend starting there. Do lots of fast walking for awhile (if you haven't already!) and then gradually introduce the running. Wouldn't want to start back too soon... do you swim?
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:54 pm

:) Of course I'm back :) I never left RM in my heart!!! I still proudly wear my buff and sweatshirt (which is now getting incredibly holey!) I just have trouble sometimes getting online in the evenings - after Maia is in bed, I am too exhausted to do much :)

I was thinking of maybe nordic walking. it is frustrating though - I always want to RUN :)

Still though, I'd be lying if I said this sun wasn't inspiring me to GET OUTSIDE!!! :)

"Swimming" (ok, kind of floating around in the pool) was a godsend at the beginning - maybe I should go back to the pool a few times. Or even try some water running? I wonder....

RG
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."

Mary Pickford

Next up:

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:01 pm

My partner herniated his disc as well. It has proven to be a very difficult injury for him. Walking with speed is where he has mostly ended up to be honest. I'll be interested to hear how you make out. (his recovery was much slower than yours)
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:44 pm

HI!! Welcome back!

Come hang out in the mommies thread :) Most of the time we don't even talk about running :)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:42 pm

Welcome back!

If you are cleared to get back to running, I would suggest just going back to VERY GRADUAL learn-to-run program. As a good friend once advised me, start with LESS than you think you can handle and build from there. Maybe that's one minute walk, one minute run. Maybe it's one minute run per five minutes walk. Whatever it is, just give your body a lot of time to gradually adapt and it will come back.

It does help to have a good therapist or doctor that's a runner, but your current people should still be able to help. If not, I hope the above advice does. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:33 am

Thanks guys! Good advice Jen. It's hard to take, but it is good advice! I still am quite sore, but I think at this point much of it is from having lost so much of my muscle tone in my stomach and lower back. Even yoga - I've been told no more forward bends - possibly ever - so it is hard to do that even.

FP - I definitely will stop by :) That makes me feel better!

Size 5 - gulp - I thought 6 months was so long! It was like I instantly became about 85. And chasing after a toddler made it so, so much worse. Boy did I learn how to live with pain! I can't imagine what your poor partner is going through! Healing vibes!!!

Thanks guys! I think I'll go for a walk on my lunchbreak tomorrow. Wish me luck (and sunshine!)

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:19 am

I'm glad you're back, but very sorry about the injury.

My physio gave me a good "return to running" program. You don't run much, but you run more often. Let me know if you would like me to PM it to you.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:24 am

Having had back injuries in the past - I really really recommend walking for the first bit. Frustrating as it is, running is a LOT harder on your L spine then we tend to think of. Walk the days that you intend to run, and when that doesnt have pain, add a bit of running

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:42 am

Thank you! It's funny, because I feel the pain more when walking and have to be really conscious to almost do a pelvic tuck when I walk. I don't feel it so much in running - probably because things go more quickly, lol! OK, walking sticks are packed for today!

Kelodie, I'd love to see that plan!! Thank you!

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:22 pm

I took an informal lesson from a nordic walking expert and he swears by it for fitness and weight loss. I only tried it that one time, and felt very awkward, but I was also 20 weeks pregnant :P I'm not sure how the motion compares to running, though.

Welcome back!!!!

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:47 pm

WOw, good luck with your return to fitness. I commend you for trying. Sounds like your injury was really bad!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:25 pm

Thanks guys!
Andy, I would have rather have given birth 5 times than go through that again. I am sure there are those out there who have had it worse off than me, but man oh man was it tough. I couldn't even take time off work - life with a toddler was way more painful than sitting in a chair all day! I really do not want to re-injure it! Thanks for all the advice! I didn't end up going for a walk today - a crisis came up at work. Maybe tomorrow!!!

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:03 pm

so happy to see you RG.
I'm sorry about the injury, it must have been difficult to focus on recovery when you've got Miss M to take care of. She must be so big now!
Would love to meet you for a walk at Rocky Point when you're up for it. Saturday mornings are usually good for me. Let me know.

Best of luck with your return to exercise. I'm sure that you have missed it.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:56 am

Thanks R4L! Hmm that would be great - Y and M can hang out and play and we can walk. Walking with Maia (she's almost three) is kind of like walking with a dog that has adhd, so will have to leave her behind this time!!!

Today's goal - go for a "hike" (here, true hikes go up mountains, "hikes" go along them ;) ) Only 2 km, but I'll take it!!

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:47 pm

How on earth is she almost 3???? :shock: Where has the time gone?????

Could job with the HIKE :D
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:43 pm

I know!!! Crazy huh?

We went for a walk at Belcarra with Maia today - it was awesome!

Maia, maia though - it took us 45 minutes to walk 1 k there, and about 20 minutes to walk back. The difference? We put Maia in the carrier on the way back :)

Still, she LOVED it. We're trying to train her hiking muscles a bit so we can go on some tougher hikes as she gets older. However, I think she brought half of the forest back in her pockets!!! Love that girl!

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:11 pm

Hi! We haven't met, but I can tell you I've had struggles of my own with my &%!!* back (sciatica). It's been an up-and-down and back-and-forth recovery for me, although I can now run at least. In addition to all the other good advice you've gotten above, I'll pass on the instructions my physio, who is a runner, gave me (when I was ready to re-start running): 1.) Cover 3k per day, starting with walking, then gradually add a few steps running; and 2.) Run only on dirt trails or a prepared track (no asphalt or concrete). That was a year ago, and although I do now run some on asphalt, I still find the dirt trails are easier on my back.

Good Luck--and take it easy!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:49 pm

Thank you SO much, Avis! That is really sound advice - I thnk I will try it for sure! I am lucky to live one block from a lake that is exactly a 1km loop and has a dirt trail around it, so that will work out really well!
One question - did you do your walking on the dirt trail as well??? Or was walking OK on sidewalks?

Thanks! RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:08 pm

randomgirl wrote:Thank you SO much, Avis! That is really sound advice - I thnk I will try it for sure! I am lucky to live one block from a lake that is exactly a 1km loop and has a dirt trail around it, so that will work out really well!
One question - did you do your walking on the dirt trail as well??? Or was walking OK on sidewalks?

Thanks! RG

Glad you found my physio's advice useful. I walked on any kind of surface. I have to walk on asphalt to get to my dirt trails (or to the gym, for that matter.) Mind you, I was not "power walking," just normal brisk walking.

ETA: Just noticed your quote by Mary Pickford. That has always been one of my favorites, too.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

oobinsnaffa
Tom Longboat

Postby oobinsnaffa » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:34 pm

I have no advice, but since I'm new around these parts I just wanted to say hi, welcome back, and good luck with continuing the fitness journey. :)
PBs: 5K: 32:52 - 8K: 55:08 - 10K: 1:05:57

2013 Races
Mar 24: Vancouver Spring Run-Off (8K): Finished, 55:08 (PB)
Aug 17: Spartan Sprint Calgary (3 miles): Finished
Sep 7: Spartan Super Red Deer (8 miles): Finished
Sep 28: Spartan Beast Sun Peaks (13 miles)
Nov 2: Banff Winterstart (5 miles)
Dec 31: Resolution Run Calgary (5K)

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:06 am

Thanks guys!

I've managed to walk at least 1k every day. :) My lower back still burns, and last night it kind of got "stuck" during a pose in yoga. Thankfully there is a physio in my class, and she said that she thinks I am still having a joint issue - that the pain was likely not muscular. So I have to be very, very careful - walking only for now. I am thinking about trying spinal decompression - I know at least one person who swears by it. Anyone here have any experience with it?

Will just keep on walking, walking, walking!

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:16 am

GUESS WHAT????

I walked this week for the first time WITHOUT PAIN!!!!!

I tried a new thing on monday (well, new for me) called spinal decompression. Actually, not true - I tried it years ago after a car accident (it was my only relief - did it a couple times a week for three months) and it was called "traction" then (and done by a physio, not a chiro). It felt pretty weird when I was getting it done, and I had some muscle soreness for the rest of the day, but I haven't had that burning sensation in my back since! I'm going again tomorrow - hope I just need a few!!!

In any case, it POURED rain all week, so I didn't get in a lot of walks. Normally I don't mind rain, but since I'm walking on my lunchbreak at work, pouring rain totally wrecks my hair and makeup. Yup, I'm a princess that way!!!

Hope everyone has had good weeks!
RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:16 pm

That's awesome!!!! :dance: :dance:

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:32 pm

Good news!!

Keep us posted on the spinal decompression treatment. I've been curious about this.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Return to “The Scenic Route”