I'm back... thanks to the Wii

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
Beerslinger
Bill Crothers

Postby Beerslinger » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:36 pm

Been doing the running on Wii Fit and finally went for a run on the road. Trying out this forefoot running thing. Went about 1 K in the end. Start slow... Sure was running slow.

Anyone else who's starting again trying the forefoot running style instead of the classic heel-toe? If so, how did it work out for you?
Too tired to get out training? Two words - Floppy Manboobs.

2008 - bmo Vancouver 1/2: 2:28:17 PB!!

Please support me in the ride to conquer cancer

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:05 pm

I don't think the idea is landing on the forefoot, but more on the midfoot. Some people even say it's not necessarily the hell-striking specifically that causes problems. Problems usually come from over-striding (which often causes heel-striking, but heel-striking isn't the actual problem- you can heel-strike without over-striding and without problems.

Still, if you are trying to change over to midfoot, take it really gradually because it can be very hard on the calves and Achilles if you're not used to it.

And welcome back!
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Re: I'm back... thanks to the Wii

Postby Dr. S » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:39 pm

No advice but welcome back Mike!! :D
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Stosh
Percy Williams

Re: I'm back... thanks to the Wii

Postby Stosh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:49 pm

Beerslinger wrote:Been doing the running on Wii Fit and finally went for a run on the road. Trying out this forefoot running thing. Went about 1 K in the end. Start slow... Sure was running slow.

Anyone else who's starting again trying the forefoot running style instead of the classic heel-toe? If so, how did it work out for you?

Little bit of old thread resurrection. I have switched over to mid foot and what worked for me was CHI running. Okay length book, but the basics of the running style is near the back of the book if you want to skip the lead up and just jump to the climax.

Michael
When my lungs get here, tell them I have gone on ahead.

Return to “The Scenic Route”