Hi

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
Freshair

Hi

Postby Freshair » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:44 am

Hi, I started running a month and a half ago. I didn't know anything about how to train but I kind of learn everything of internet and I lately also read a lot on here. Thanks for all that good info by the way but here's what i can't get is about the speed work I don't think I'm doing it right because I'm not gaining anything anymore.

When I first start I my first 5K in 32 min and now I'm able to keep a 4:52/km pace (bring me to 24:16pr) and on the 10K I'm at 52:30PR and my half marathon I keep a pace of 6:15/km for a PR of 2h12 but now I can't gain anything anymore and I tried running up hill to get stronger running longer for endurance and some intervall training but nothing seem to work. I'm 29 years old maybe I'm at my max speed.

eme
Lynn Williams

Re: Hi

Postby eme » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:57 am

Hi and welcome!

If you just started running a month and a half ago, I doubt that you have reached your max speed. You may need to follow a stuctuted program that will build your speed up over a bit of time

I am not sure if you are male or female but I suspect that you still have potential for improvement. Do you run by yourself or with some others?

Freshair

Postby Freshair » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:36 am

Thank you, yes I do run by myself and I am a male, I do not have a training plan. I started running because I went do a spartan race for fun in my little town and I just got addicted was so much fun so now in july I'm travelling 2 province away to do a real spartan race in manitoba just to see how I do but also I feel so much better since I start running i got tone of energy.

But to come back on speed work it all sound chineise to me what I found on internet they are all diferrent training from each other and there is no distance exemple.

I use an app call strava to keep track and right now I run an average of 45km a week and bike about 30k (with a really old mountain bike) so its kind of good workout I think. Do you think I do enough distance ?
I read to do only one long run a week so I stick with that! Is this the better way to go?

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:34 am

Welcome! What you need isn't a new training plan - it's time. It takes time for the body to make adaptations. It sounds like you have a very good base of general fitness to begin with. Keep doing what you're doing for three months consistently and I guarantee you'll see improvements. The fact that you slowed down so much over the half distance relative to your 5/10 speed shows that endurance is your limiter right now, not speed. Doing that 45 km/ week will help with that, including one longer run a week.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Freshair

Postby Freshair » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:02 am

Thank you very much for all will follow the advise and update in a month or so! Stay active

Envoyé de mon SM-G850W en utilisant Tapatalk

Return to “The Scenic Route”