Swimming...

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Swimming...

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:54 pm

eme wrote:
TeamHoundandRedhead wrote:
eme wrote:The pull buoy is great for getting the body rotation down.

To practice breathing, I used a kick board and just kicked with my face in the water and breathing side to side (arms straight out with the board). It helps you simplify things and concentrate on your breathing (and helps conserve some energy starting out).

I started working on that last night - it went like "inhale...face in water...exhale...come up for air and freak out...calm down...inhale...face in water..." over and over. I'm getting there, lol.

Sounds like me when I started! Good job getting over the freak out - that was tough for me.

I still can't breath properly on my right side, left, no problem. I've been practicing right each time I go swim, but it's still not natural. I used to really freak out, but I'm getting better.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:19 pm

I breathe mostly on my right side. I can breathe on my left but my rotation is not the same/is more difficult.

It is better for sighting in triathlon to be able to breathe on both sides.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:33 am

To practice breathing, I used a kick board and just kicked with my face in the water and breathing side to side (arms straight out with the board). It helps you simplify things and concentrate on your breathing (and helps conserve some energy starting out).

I started working on that last night - it went like "inhale...face in water...exhale...come up for air and freak out...calm down...inhale...face in water..." over and over. I'm getting there, lol.

At least you've got the exhale under water part figured out! Lots of new swimmers hyperventilate because they hold their breath under water and then try to exhale AND inhale when they turn their head to breathe.

I breathe every 3rd stroke (though I read something recently that said every 2nd stroke was better so that you're not going hypoxic, but that's another discussion). I take a breath before my first stroke, "hold" my breath for the second stroke, then exhale under water during my 3rd stroke so that by the time I come up to breathe my lungs are empty. But you can just as easily do that with a 2-stroke breathing ratio.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:32 pm

La wrote:

At least you've got the exhale under water part figured out! Lots of new swimmers hyperventilate because they hold their breath under water and then try to exhale AND inhale when they turn their head to breathe.

I breathe every 3rd stroke (though I read something recently that said every 2nd stroke was better so that you're not going hypoxic, but that's another discussion). I take a breath before my first stroke, "hold" my breath for the second stroke, then exhale under water during my 3rd stroke so that by the time I come up to breathe my lungs are empty. But you can just as easily do that with a 2-stroke breathing ratio.

Yeah, that was my breakthrough this January when I started taking swim lessons at Movati ... ONLY exhale under water and do not inhale ? :shock: :shifty: :lol: Totally, made a big difference for me ... Barely made a bubble when I first started and now, bubbles galore :)
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Return to “The Dark Side”