Turn your road bike into a triathlon bike!

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: Turn your road bike into a triathlon bike!

Postby HCcD » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:33 am

orleansrunner1962 wrote:A slight hijack here -- there is a woman in Ottawa who does bike fittings who apparently is very good -- does anyone know her name? I believe she is in Westboro!

Mary Paterson ....

She currently is sub-letting a place at the new Euro-Sports location ... ;)
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:38 am

Yeah it didn't have the scientific rigour you'd want to make 100% conclusions, especially on the magnitude side.

The outdoor results are the most suspect - if they'd used multiple riders and way more runs (to eliminate environmental factors like changing wind, etc) then I'd be more inclined to take them at face value. On the other hand the wind tunnel only looked at aero, not other factors like the effect of changing position on muscles used, etc.

Anyway, just some food for thought.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:57 am

jonovision_man wrote:Yeah it didn't have the scientific rigour you'd want to make 100% conclusions, especially on the magnitude side.

The outdoor results are the most suspect - if they'd used multiple riders and way more runs (to eliminate environmental factors like changing wind, etc) then I'd be more inclined to take them at face value. On the other hand the wind tunnel only looked at aero, not other factors like the effect of changing position on muscles used, etc.

Anyway, just some food for thought.

jono

I think it's probably pretty accurate, given the numbers in the wind tunnel aren't too far off the outdoor numberse, I just think that one 33w drop is a mistake or a misreading. Bump it up to a 250-252w and the picture it paints makes much more sense.

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:40 pm

If you have the money, get both bikes. If you don't, consider which is most appropriate to your riding.

With the explosion of fondo riding, I'd think most people would opt for a roadie with clip-ons as a compromise. I'd take the time to slam the seat forward and drop the handlebars though, maybe a shorter stem too. The long reach on a roadie gives me back pain in the aero position over long distances.

If you ONLY compete in triathlon and ride alone or only with triathletes.... nothing wrong with only owning a tri bike. I went 7 years with only a tri bike.

My positions road vs. tri positions are vastly different. I have about 5cm more drop on my tri bike and 5cm less reach. My seat angle is roughly the same (I ride a bit tight on the TT) as I use my TT bike for UCI legal racing.
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

Return to “The Dark Side”