Advice, tips - glutes

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Advice, tips - glutes

Postby Dstew » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:08 pm

I am very decent run shape and when on a hybrid bike, not bad bike shape or so I thought. But since being on a proper road bike that was fitted for me, my glutes or very upper hamstrings get very sore. I may walk with a bit of a limp for a couple of hours after a ride. The muscle(s) really do not like squats after riding. When I am sitting it is fine. Any bike specific stretches or weights one might recommend? I am doing all of the standard stretches and increasing the weights a little bit. I suspect it is just the adjustment period and that after a winter of heavy weights and hours on the spinner bike combined with more real world road experience that the issue will resolve itself?

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Advice, tips - glutes

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:21 am

Are you sure the fit is good? Perhaps your seat position is a bit off? Try experimenting with different seat height and position a bit.

You have a decent amount of bike-specific fitness from your spin sessions, and you are used to riding on the road on a different bike. So you shouldn't really have an an issue with adjusting to the workouts, I don't think.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:49 am

I agree th at something may be off on the fit. I had hamstring issues with an incorrect bike fit.

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:30 pm

Unless the fit is waaaayyy off (which is unlikely), it's far more probable you just need to get used to the rotated/forward position of a road bike vs a hybrid.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:16 am

Mark.AU wrote:Unless the fit is waaaayyy off (which is unlikely), it's far more probable you just need to get used to the rotated/forward position of a road bike vs a hybrid.

+1... when my hamstrings are tight, I get all kinds of pain in the more aero position of the road bike. Stretch and it goes away.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:27 am

Mark.AU wrote:Unless the fit is waaaayyy off (which is unlikely), it's far more probable you just need to get used to the rotated/forward position of a road bike vs a hybrid.

I had hamstring issues going from a Specialized road bike to a Trek road bike - both the same size, just one did not work for me. The Trek was only a loaner, so I did not pursue the fit issue.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:17 pm

jonovision_man wrote:

+1... when my hamstrings are tight, I get all kinds of pain in the more aero position of the road bike. Stretch and it goes away.

jono

Went out for 20 mile ride today and made a very conscious effort to stay in the proper position and the right gear and found that although I was a tad slower, less then 1 mph, I felt much better. One thing I noticed was that my spinner bike seat was very low and then I put it up, I was generating more power. And now will get me into better road bike shape. Thanks to all for the input.

Return to “The Dark Side”