Manitoba Marathon

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Manitoba Marathon

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:36 pm

Disappointing result overall.

I've been fighting a sore right hamstring since the Police Half in April. In that race I felt a tweak early, still went at it hard, and I've been paying ever since, in terms of massage/ART, in terms of being unable to go all-out at speedwork, and in terms of overall pain.

I decided to go for my goal anyway on Sunday, 3:20. Some predictor runs early in my training said I could do it, but my training has suffered lately because of the pain.

Sunday, I was roughly on track until about 10 miles or so, fell back to a comfortable pace until about 14, then completely fell apart. I'm not 100% sure where it all went wrong because I didn't keep splits, and because I turned my watch off and put it in my pocket at 14 or so.

In fact, I turned my watch off in 14 in preparation to DNF at the medical aid station on Wolseley. My right hamstring was hurting so badly it was affecting my gait, and that was resulting in a variety of pains elsewhere (lower back, left calf) as I struggled through. But about 100 yards from the medical aid, along the right side of the road, there were 3 Bernese Mountain Dogs watching the race with their masters. I stopped for a few minutes, regained my thoughts, petted some dogs, rubbed some dog bellies, and chatted with the owners about the joys of owning a Berner. I felt my spirit return a bit and decided to continue with the race as best I could.

I decided to run at least to the end of Lyndale Crescent, which was where I crapped out three years ago, and when I got there I decided to run to the finish while I was at it. On Lyndale, I chatted with Dwayne for a bit, and borrowed a phone from Ed (Roadrunner) to call Carrie and let her know not to be worried when I didn't show up anywhere near my goal time.

Final time 4:11, splits of roughly 1:35 and 2:35 (I know the split was well short of actual the actual halfway point, don't know by how much).

It was a thrill to get my medal from Mouse and to nearly get knocked over on the track by Jill and a very enthusiastic high-five.

Next up:

- get my hamstring healthy
- make some new plans

I can't foresee getting back into serious training until I get healthy. If that means no fall race season, so be it.

This is also my first time on the internet since Saturday night - I see there are a TON of threads and reports I've missed. I'll try to catch up (along with work) this week.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:33 am

yep, rest up that hammy.... hopefully you'll be in shape for a good fall race!!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:10 am

Tough day out there but congrats on finishing....get healthy soon Mike!
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:12 am

Another notch in the belt, Mike ... kudos for getting it done .... Now rest up, will ya ... Always nice to finish what you started, is my motto ... and, in the famous words of Spencer ... "Keep Going. Never Give Up" ...

Also, great seeing you again ... Til the next time ... :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:27 am

Hey Mike, yea I'll admit i was getting really worried as the clock ticked on and I didn't see you but I sure was elated when you entered that stadium. Way to gut it out!
Fantastic to see you this past weekend, now rest up the hamstring and worry about the rest later.

Hope the drive home was enjoyable. :)
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:09 am

That's too bad Mike. We were in the same place, just the wrong time. Hopefully we will be able to hook up for this (or another) race in the future.

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:26 am

Sucks, but way to guts it out and finish. Nice.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:35 am

As Nick would say..."tough day at the office" but kudos for toughing it out...just shows how much mental strength you have.
Yep...get well. You don't want this to become a chronic injury.
Course...you could always come to PEC as a cheerleader...I'm sure Hula Girl could find a Hawaiin shirt for you :D :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:55 am

Sorry to hear it wasn't your day! Take care of that leg, and congrats on another marathon finish.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:17 am

Some days a diamond, some a rock, but you handled it well......rest and do what makes you well sir. Good to finally meet you.
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

Jay-Lorens
Bruce Kidd

Postby Jay-Lorens » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:17 am

Wow...
Great job! Way to stick it out. And good on you for thinking to call ahead to warn about being late! I should learn to do that more often!!!!
Jay

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:56 am

Sorry to hear that, Mike. Heal up!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:05 am

Mike.. congratulations on pushing through when you thought otherwise.. :clap: :clap:

Funny that it was the sight of the dogs that helped make your decision. We're all affected by the funniest of things some days.

Rest up & get that hamstring looked after, a few months of not running and getting it in order are a lot better than the alternative if you kept running & did some permanent damage.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:06 am

Tough one. Heal fast!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Manitoba Marathon

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:58 am

Mike Runs wrote:
Final time 4:11, splits of roughly 1:35 and 2:35 (I know the split was well short of actual the actual halfway point, don't know by how much).

Hi Mike,

The split was at the 19K mark.
Tough one for you. Hope you heal up and beat it next time.
Nice to meet, even though it was only a few seconds. :D

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:25 am

I've been patiently waiting for your report Mike. And, I'm sorry for you man. You had your mental on (esp when I had lunch with you on Mon) and that sucks your body wasn't in the right spot. That 3:20 is in you....

I was sad to get back after my tri and see your text - and I'm glad that the river was farther away than you thought it was. :wink:

Let's do coffee later this wk....
Race Hard. Race Happy.

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:34 am

Way to tough it out Mike! I wish I could have done more to help you out on Lyndale.

As always, good to see you again and hang out a bit over the weekend.

Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:23 am

Gutsy performance Mike...you take care of that hammy!
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:24 pm

To FINISH a marathon, no matter the time is always something to be quite proud of. And the way you did it and with a still very respectible time has to give you hope for the future.

And in my opinion, great plan to get 100% healthy and then tackle your challenges from someone who never seems to do that and always pays the price.

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:56 pm

I am sorry to hear that the race did not go as you had hoped... but awesome work on sticking it out and finishing another marathon!!
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:40 pm

Dstew wrote:To FINISH a marathon, no matter the time is always something to be quite proud of. And the way you did it and with a still very respectible time has to give you hope for the future.

I agree. Now time to regroup and plan ahead!! :D

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:49 pm

Way to tough it out, Mike! See you in Calgary in a couple weeks.

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:05 pm

Ed Fizz wrote:
Dstew wrote:To FINISH a marathon, no matter the time is always something to be quite proud of. And the way you did it and with a still very respectible time has to give you hope for the future.

I agree.

I agree too. I have yet to finish one (or even start one for that matter). The fact that you finished despite your injury shows a real gutsy performance. No doubt when you're all healed up you'll be able to run the marathon you really want to.
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:10 pm

You were brave enough to complete the marathon despite the mishaps and the pain. Congratulations!
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:17 am

Rough day. Sorry to hear it (not as sorry as you must be to have lived it ;) )

Heal up.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”