Doonst runs Mono Cliffs 3rd time, 3rd race of Aug on the 9th

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Doonst runs Mono Cliffs 3rd time, 3rd race of Aug on the 9th

Postby Doonst » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:19 pm

Anybody tired of my race reports yet? Click away, because I have a real big one coming Next Saturday. Today I'll try to be brief.

This morning was 5 Peaks Mono Cliffs Enduro trail race, 11.2 K. Last 2 years I did it in 59.xx. Today's weather looked good, clouded over and not too hot. S.O. was supposed to run it but she fell rather ill last night. She had 4 students running their first real trail race coming, so now I had 4 students running their first trail race. Mostly just 5 minutes of fashion advice.
It is a tough course, not super-technical just unrelenting. It is a good mix, of hills, rocks, flats, and winding single-track. First half went okay, just hard: you know when you check for the distance before 4 K you must be running hard. Thinned out halfway when the sport (6.2 K) course people turned off, and I hit my stride a bit. Early in the second half I took a wrong turn, that cost me maybe 20-30 seconds. Then back up the escarpment, walking the steeps this time. On top it was windy sandy trail and the speed picked up. It had started raining about 15 minutes in, around 3 K mark. Now it was getting a little slippery. Also the tree branches, heavy with water, would droop down to face level. Mostly I just crashed through them, but then there was one with a fallen limb behind it. I hit it with my forehead, stopped me dead, backwards even. I just picked myself up and kept going, with 2 K to go I was really glad I could continue okay. One guy did get past me here. I knew from my watch that I would be 59:xx plus or minus; if I wanted to beat my previous times I would have to do it now. Struggled a bit with the wacky switchback cliff descent, I usually ace it better than today. Big finish back on the final section, came in at 58:47. I was very glad to see that, nice to know I'm still getting faster, if only slightly. Of course its hard to compare year to year; today it got slippery but last year it was 32 degrees at the finish.
The kids did great, 3 out of 4 ended up on the podium. Big shout to Ish, 8th overall and fastest youth. 45:30, that is fast. I'm just glad nobody got hurt, there were cliffs and rocks and stuff.
I placed 6 out of 23 in my age group. 72/226 overall in the enduro. Even after changing clothes, we were shivering waiting for the awards to be given out. I did win a door prize, a bag of stuff ,mostly 1 Kilo of Kicking Horse coffee.My biggest regret for today is that it was too miserable to go cheer at Dirty Girls Ultra, it rained solid all the way home with the heat on.
My neck still hurts a bit from the tree limb collision.
Next week is the Iroquoia Trail Test, 32 K on the Bruce Trail, mucho hoopla!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:33 pm

Congratulations on a great race and time especially with those wet and slippery conditions! I enjoyed it much better this year than in the heat last year! (It's too bad I didn't get to say "Hi")
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:36 pm

Congratulations. Great job :clap:

I wanted to register for this one but it was sold out. I went for 30K hills run instead.
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:43 pm

Nice run Doonst, Solid results. I should make it up there some year.
Big shout out to Ish wow!! A guy that runs sub 4 pace for LSD is going to be fast. He really has no choice. Its a curse.

Bring on the Hoopla!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:46 pm

Has anyone ever told you that you race too much, Sheldon ... :lol: :wink:

Congratulations, on another great race ... and, with incredible consistency, I might add ;-)
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:26 pm

congrats on a solid race! now rest up for next week!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:17 am

Another great one for the books! :D

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:45 am

Man, doing that switchback downhill when it's getting slippery would be hazardous enough, let alone with a bonked head.

Factoring in the time lost to the wrong turn, this is way better than last year!

Please don't give those youngsters fashion advice. The children are our future.

Smitty
Johnny Miles

Postby Smitty » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:14 am

Well done, you trail guys are impressive. This old body barely survives flat roads. Happy trails next week.

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:23 am

Very nice!!!! Well done Sheldon!!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”