Avis' first 10k in Ottawa--the truth!

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Mon May 28, 2012 12:38 pm

This is long, I tried to edit it, but I wanted to get it all down while it was still fresh.

The weekend in Ottawa held many firsts for me. It was my first 10k race. It was my first really, really big race, with 10,500 participants (my largest race prior to this was the Zombie 5k with 1000 undead). It was my first race at a temperature above 7 degrees. It was my first “destination” race. And best of all, it was my first opportunity to meet some Maniacs in real life!

I will preface my report with a few facts. I started running after age 50, about two-and-a-half years ago. I was not athletic in my youth, and it took me a full year of hard work to even run for 30 minutes. My training is always and ever restrained by chronic sciatica problems, but within those restraints, my training is consistent and determined. I have run no farther than 10k at a time, and I have done this exactly four times in my life. The fourth time was on Saturday in Ottawa.

Miss*Smiles and I had arranged to meet up in the green corral. It was a bit of a challenge for us to find each other—we only knew each other from our avatars, but at last I found her, true to her name, smiling and positive. The plan was for us to run together, along with her friend, A, as much as possible. The goal time was for something less-than 70 minutes, although I knew that for me, that would be an ambitious goal.

The huge mass of runners wasn’t the issue I thought it would be. You only had to deal with the runners around you. No one was stinky, and almost everyone was polite, apologizing when we bumped elbows or kicked someone’s foot.

Now stories will differ here. I felt pushed a bit by Miss*Smiles’ pace; she will claim I was pushing her. She will write her own report. I will just say that I started out a tad too fast and that just before the 3k mark, we got separated. It was I who fell behind, and I never saw Miss*Smiles again until after the finish line.

So here is the part of the race of which I am not proud. At about this time, I was swept with a wave of—what was it? It wasn’t overwhelming fatigue, it was just...I started walking. I was suddenly lacking in energy. It was like I was split in two and was watching myself. Part of me was scrambling for motivation, and part of me was perfectly content to keep walking. I finally bargained with myself: “You can walk until the water station, get a good drink, and then you are going to run again,” The other me: “Why?” I am thinking, what the heck is going on here and what am I going to do, walk the whole race? People were running by me by the dozen, and I felt a vague envy as I watched them. Even some older ladies of the Ottawa Walkers Club passed me! It’s hard to describe the shame and discouragement I felt.

At last the water station came. I took a glass, swallowed some, and started to run again. Ugh, my legs were heavy, especially my right leg. I resorted to my old tricks. I recited the rhymes I had made up when I was a beginning runner: each rhyme is 50 steps, and there are 20 verses. I told myself to do the 20 verses then I could walk again. But I soon lost count and I was now at the ramp to go up over the bridge. That incline was nothing compared to the hills I had run in Sherbrooke. I think that gave me some hope. Over the bridge and down, and my mood finally levelled out.

There was more walking after that, but I never did sink back into that awful mental state again. The race got better and better as it went. Around 6k I began to enjoy the crowds and slap hands with the kids I passed. The runners I was with now were all in the same condition: sweating, running when they could, walking when they had to, encouraging each other and soldiering on.

At about 6.5k, I struck up a friendship with a small, gregarious woman who was sometimes ahead of me, sometimes behind me. “I’m going to run along with you, if you don’t mind,” I said. She and I had a good chat. Her name was Sylvie, and she was from Montréal. I told her about RunningMania and she told me about her running group. She said, “There is a water station coming up and I’m going to walk and drink.” I agreed that sounded good, and I took two glasses, dumped one over my head, while Sylvie prodded me to drink all of the other one. I ran the rest of the race without walking. I lost contact with Sylvie in the last kilometre, as I was finally feeling I could push a bit, and I never saw her again. But I want to thank her here, for the company and the joy.

At about 400 metres, my Beloved C. was waiting with her camera and encouragement. She took one of the best racing pictures I have ever had taken. Then it was 300 metres, 200, and I decided to run harder and harder, finishing with a smile and a sprint. The race took me an hour an 18 minutes.

Oh, I had blisters, and I was hot. Those aren’t the reasons for anything. This race gave me a puzzle to solve. I learned something from this race, and I still have a long way to go.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Re: Avis' first 10k in Ottawa--the truth!

Postby Sandra » Mon May 28, 2012 12:44 pm

Way to tough it out! congrats on your first 10k race!
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Mon May 28, 2012 12:51 pm

Congrats Avis. What a great race. Glad you got to meet MissSmiles but she is a tad shy so wasn't sure if you would be able to warm up to her fast. :shifty:

:lol:
The Summer of Eng is over.

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Mon May 28, 2012 1:00 pm

Sounds like an eventful race, well done for gutting it out. You learn something from each race, break mental barriers. Keep on running and racing and you will get better and better.
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon May 28, 2012 1:06 pm

Avis. You articulated very nicely all of the physical and mental stages you were doing through! It shows some determination!

And hanging with maniacs, no matter what the race outcome, is totally worth it!

Big congratulations! Well done!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon May 28, 2012 1:22 pm

Congrats, Avis! You really can claim that "We try harder" slogan now! ;)

Evening races are tough, especially when it's hot.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Mon May 28, 2012 1:26 pm

Congratulations on finishing your first 10k race. Your last line sums it up well. Every race is a learning experience and having this written down will give you a valuable reference in the future. Enjoy the journey.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Mon May 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Good job telling The Mental who's in charge!

It was good to meet you at the M&G yesterday. I hope the drive back to Sherbrooke was good.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Mon May 28, 2012 4:33 pm

Congratulations! You have come a remarkably long way in a short time, and it has been fun to follow your journey so far. I'm looking forward to following you as you meander across the country!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

framboisine
Tom Longboat

Postby framboisine » Mon May 28, 2012 4:58 pm

Congrats on your first 10K race!!! It was nice meeting you on the race course :)

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon May 28, 2012 5:05 pm

Congratulations Avis! You did good. So happy to read this report. You pushed past the barriers and kept going.
It's been great to see the progress and determination that you've had and looking forward to what the future has in store.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

oobinsnaffa
Tom Longboat

Postby oobinsnaffa » Mon May 28, 2012 6:29 pm

I loved reading your report, you continue to inspire me. Congrats on your first 10k! I hope I learn half as much as you have when I attempt my first 10k in September.
PBs: 5K: 32:52 - 8K: 55:08 - 10K: 1:05:57

2013 Races
Mar 24: Vancouver Spring Run-Off (8K): Finished, 55:08 (PB)
Aug 17: Spartan Sprint Calgary (3 miles): Finished
Sep 7: Spartan Super Red Deer (8 miles): Finished
Sep 28: Spartan Beast Sun Peaks (13 miles)
Nov 2: Banff Winterstart (5 miles)
Dec 31: Resolution Run Calgary (5K)

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Mon May 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Congratulations Avis!! I am so happy for you- you persevered and did not let the fact that the "going got tough" stop you. You are AWESOME.
It's been so fun to follow you to this race and I look forward to seeing what you accomplish next. Good job Maniac.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Mon May 28, 2012 7:53 pm

Congratulations! RAcing is hard! And you did great.

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon May 28, 2012 8:13 pm

Congratulations!!! I loved all the emotions captured in your race report!

Now share that FABULOUS picture with us!!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Mon May 28, 2012 8:57 pm

Congrats on your first 10K, Avis and sorry to have missed you at the M&G. You battled through some challenges this race but as was mentioned above, we all learn something from every race. These lessons will help prepare you for future training runs and races - all for the good!
Carm

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue May 29, 2012 8:00 am

Congrats on your first 10K!

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue May 29, 2012 9:24 am

Congrats on getting your first 10K completed in less than ideal conditions, your dedication is inspiring. Great race report Avis and cherish this first ‘big’ race. I can’t comment on everyone else in RM, but I do believe we’ve all gone through what you experienced during your race as some point in our own race. It’s these challenges that make us better runners as we can learn from this experience. Rest up & relax, then push on to Sudbury & beyond!

Like Miss*Smiles said in your journal... “please know we need a do-over race together” A do-over race is well in order and you two can push each other to a sub 70min finish together!
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue May 29, 2012 9:55 am

Thanks, everybody. Framboisine, I'm sorry I neglected to mention our encounter on the race course! It was fun to have you see the RM orange man symbol on my shirt, and come up to speak to me. I was hoping would someone would do just that! (By the way--how did your 10k turn out?)

I'm feeling better about the race as time goes by. It was a humbling, if instructive experience. It was humbling to write up and post a race report for a race where you didn't do your best, and you can't blame it on a cramp, or the water, or a wardrobe malfunction...But I own everything that happens, for good or bad in my running. It's the only way I can keep improving!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Tue May 29, 2012 10:10 am

Avis wrote:But I own everything that happens, for good or bad in my running. It's the only way I can keep improving!

There is no bad running.

Just being there in a race is more then 99% of the population does on a daily basis.

Be proud of what you have accomplished and don't worry about everyone else. :)
The Summer of Eng is over.

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue May 29, 2012 3:53 pm

So proud of you.
So happy we met.

I hope you come back next year! :ymhug:
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed May 30, 2012 12:58 pm

Congratulations! You've come so far in your running and it's so nice to see. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:35 pm

Congrats on finishing a 10km. Blisters are always hard to fight through. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

horselady
Bill Crothers

Postby horselady » Wed May 30, 2012 9:10 pm

Your report made me smile from ear to ear. Yes it was hard, but you got it done and dealt with the mental stuff we all deal with. Congratulations! Very nice to meet you as well at the Meet and Greet! Hope to see you at other events!
" The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man" Winston Churchill"
2013 Plans so Far
Princess Half Marathon Orlando Feb 23
Run for the Reach Water StationVolunteer April 14
Spring Fling Running Thing April 21 10k
Gran Fondo Road Race July 20th
Ride the Rideau 100km Sept 8
Army 1/2 Marathon Sept 22
http://ridetherideau.ca/give
Smattering of horse shows

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Thu May 31, 2012 5:36 pm

horselady wrote:Your report made me smile from ear to ear. Yes it was hard, but you got it done and dealt with the mental stuff we all deal with. Congratulations! Very nice to meet you as well at the Meet and Greet! Hope to see you at other events!

My thoughts exactly!! Thanks for cheering on Sunday as well. ( Now that I know that it was you cheering and not you passing me in the half!! :oops: )

Return to “Run/Race Reports”