Honolulu Adventure

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Ken B
Lynn Williams

Honolulu Adventure

Postby Ken B » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:25 am

This will be a brief report about my visit to Honolulu to run the marathon this year. I ran this race in 2011 as my first marathon after tearing my hamstring early in 2011. I had a great day and finished in 4:20 and change. This year I signed up only because my friend BumbleG was running it, along with three other friends from K-W who were also part of out K-W Disney team of 2006.
Our travel to Hawaii was uneventful and Mrs. Tortoise and I connected with our friends on Friday evening. Friday morning was spent at the Race Expo where I picked up my bib and bought a few items for myself and Mrs. Tortoise. Friday evening and Saturday evening were spent having meals with the crew. It turned out that only BumbleG and I were healthy enough to run the race. BumbleG has had a tough fall with some health issues of her own. She and I were going to complete it but time was not going to be n issue.
Race Day:
3:00 AM - wake up and get ready for the marathon
3:30 AM - meet BumbleG and walk over to the shuttle bus loading area. Ride to the start area. There were hundreds of people walking to the start as well
4:00 AM - arrive at Ala Moana Park and after a last pit stop line up in the 5 - 6 hour area of the crowd.
Honolulu Marathon:
Start: they start the race with a spectacular fireworks show. It was superb. We took about 15 minutes to get to the starting mat. I will describe our experiences in 5 km segments.
First 5 km - We were packed in quite snugly with the other runners and had little opportunity to adjust pace at all. There were hundreds of walkers and we were passing them for several kilometers. As it was dark, we were quite appreciative of passing the downtown Christmas Celebration presentation. The were two blocks of Christmas exhibits. We were both feeling good here and our pace was quicker than anticipated.
5-10 km - The crowd eased somewhat but the heat was starting to affect us. It was 74 F at the start and went up to the upper 80's with high humidity before we finished. We arrived in downtown Waikiki about the 9 km mark where our friends were waiting to cheer us. They did comment that we were a bit quicker than they anticipated. After a short stop to chat, we ventured on.
10-15 km - The hills start. The route winds itself around the base of the Diamond Head Crater. There were two long inclines here. Due to BumbleG's health situation, we had walked most hills in our training and we continued this pattern here. Thus we walked most of this segment.
15-20 km - The heat and humidity was affecting us and pretty much everyone around us. We walked a few short inclines and were running a 5 and 1 pattern otherwise. I felt lethargic and tired. I ate a Honey Stinger Waffle and took a gel. After awhile I felt better and was pretty much good for the rest of the race.
20-25 km - The day turned into pretty much a survival exercise for the rest of the race. Not only for us, but for everyone around us. I must say the volunteers and aid stations were excellent. They had ice cold Gatorade and water at each station. There were periodic misting stations. They alternated aid stations where one had ice cold sponges and the other cups of ice available. We took advantage of all these methods to beat the heat. There were also several spectators with hoses that were spraying us. Full marks go to the race organizers!!
25-30 km - pretty much the most boring part of the course - along a major road - out and back
30-35 km - this was better, somewhat downhill. We ran quite a bit of this segment. We also chatted with a number of other participants.
35-40 km - the first half of this was slightly downhill. We did pass medics tending to a man who had collapsed on the road. They were doing CPR. This was another reminder of the difficult conditions this year. They were dramatically worse than 2011. The second half was another long incline culminating in a nice steep section. We walked this part.
40-43.6 km - That was the distance measured on my Garmin - lots of weaving around other runners during the entire race. This was all downhill followed by about a km of level terrain going up to the finish. We did walk some of this. Again our friends and significant others were along the finish area to cheer us on.
Finish: After getting our shell lei from a volunteer, we stood under the cold shower area for a couple of minutes before proceeding to the area where we received our Finisher Shirts and medals. Then we had a few photos taken by our friends and I went back to my hotel for my chocolate milk.
This was a vastly different experience than my 2011 race. Time was not an issue, finishing was. I ended up feeling pretty good and was able to run my recovery run as usual the next day. BumbleG did have a tough time. But as I have come to expect, she worked her way through to the finish. I treasure her as a running partner. Overall, I had a great day!!!

Okay - 'nuff said! ( I planned on a short report!!) :D!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Honolulu Adventure

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Great. Wish there was a picture of your shell lei!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:33 pm

No egg nog, no ice or snow, I think you missed out? Maybe we trade next year so you don't miss the Egg Nog Jog, I'd do that for you.

Thanks for sharing Ken, another great adventure!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:52 pm

Sounds like the conditions were tough (HOT!), but you are even tougher!! Great job on yet another marathon, Ken -- you simply never cease to amaze!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:09 am

glad you recovered well - such a contrast from the weather here for sure!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:57 pm

Congrats on finishing your 2nd Honolulu Marathon. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:04 pm

wow that's an early start! Nicely done...missed you at the Egg Nog Jog :)

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:04 pm

wow that's an early start! Nicely done...missed you at the Egg Nog Jog :)

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:43 am

Glad you and BumbleG took it easy Ken. Rest up - then on to the next adventure.

That is a crazy early start! To beat the heat I suppose!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:46 am

Congratulations on another marathon, Ken.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:00 am

Congratulations, on another one in the bag, Ken .... Did you get to feast on the Pork at a Luau ?? :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:01 pm

HCcD wrote:Congratulations, on another one in the bag, Ken .... Did you get to feast on the Pork at a Luau ?? :P

Thanks, Andy! No Luau this time as we have attended many on our other visits. We did eat at Jimmy Buffet's restaurant and also at Duke's Grill. Other than that we were pretty much low key for the week.

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:04 pm

barebuns1 wrote:Congrats on finishing your 2nd Honolulu Marathon. :)

Ditto

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:16 pm

Ken B wrote:
HCcD wrote:Congratulations, on another one in the bag, Ken .... Did you get to feast on the Pork at a Luau ?? :P

Thanks, Andy! No Luau this time as we have attended many on our other visits. We did eat at Jimmy Buffet's restaurant and also at Duke's Grill. Other than that we were pretty much low key for the week.

Sounds very Hawaiian to me ... :shifty: :lol: :wink: :P

eta: You happen to have one of the Offiicial Original Magnum PI Hawaiian shirts ??? :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Return to “Run/Race Reports”