I was destined to be Dopey ...

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
HCcD
Donovan Bailey

I was destined to be Dopey ...

Postby HCcD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:54 am

As it turned out the Dopey Challenge turned out to be a lot of challenges before even the race weekend started .. Grab some pop and popcorn, and let the story begin ...

2014 was to be my return back do WDW Marathon Race Weekend, due to injuries sustained in late 2012, I had to cancel/defer my 2013 Goofy Challenge registration to 2014, then sub-sequently offered early registration/upgrade to the Inaugural Dopey Challenge was announced last March ...

2013 was a year of recovery and patience, and fortuntely, I had the support of my running crew (Jes, Marg, AndyM and Beth) ... I knew and accepted from the begininning that this Dopey Challenge would not necessarily be a time-based goal, but more of establishing some sort of comfortable pace with the main goal of finishing, as the year was more of a rebuild year of both running fitness and volume ... By November, I was back up to a marathon distance, having run the Hamilton Run2Hope Marathon with Jes, first time in 18 months, then it was just maintenance until the WDW Race Weekend .... Unfortunately, pretty well lost all of my training partners due to various reasons, like studies, vacations, and/or just time off to r&r, then the winter storms hit towards the end of November and well into December, which had forced me to stick it on the treadmill, in particular for my long run(s) leading up to race weekend ...

Day 1: Travel Day
Anyways, as race week approached, we were hit with a massive winter storm, well Toronto was, and the Pearson Airport was literally shutdown for 24-48 hours due to the ice storm and all flights arriving and leaving had been ultimately cancelled ... Yep, you guessed it, my Tuesday morning WestJet flight from Ottawa to Toronto to Orlando, had subsequently been cancelled with no ETA on when normal operations would restart ... And, for all intents and purposes, I should not have been been in Orlando in time to pick up my race kit, let alone to be participating in the Dopey Challenge, last Tuesday morning, when I was at the Ottawa Airport at 5:00am in the morning ... The shock and frustration on my face, when I arrived at the airport to hear that my flight had been cancelled and no idea when and/or any flights would be leaving via Toronto anytime soon, then, out of the blue, I receive a FB / BBM message from Marg, who read my FB posting about the cancellations and situation at the Pearson Airport, suggested that there may be a direct flight option with AC leaving at 9:45am to Orlando, then after a minute or so to collect my thoughts, asked her if there were any more seats available, and how much would it cost me .... She responded, yes and it would be $465 all incl., but then, by that time, the line up to two AC ticket counters was around a 2-3 hour wait .. oh gawd ... then she asked me to phone her and, while waiting in line, I provided her with my Passport and Credit Card information, and within 2 minutes, received my flight ticket information and told to head straight to the AC US entrance line ....
As it turned out, from what I heard afterwards, subsequently, all of the WestJet flights to Toronto was cancelled Tuesday and Wednesday from Ottawa and had I waited, as suggested by the WestJet staff at the airport, I would have still have been stuck in Ottawa and missed the Wednesday race kit pickup time ... And, the only reason that I was able to make it to Orlando via Air Canada, as they usually do not offer a direct flight, was that this happened to be a chartered flight, due to the weekend winter storm in Ottawa / Toronto, that had been delayed/cancelled on Monday afternoon, due to the fact that the Flight Crew had been stranded in Toronto ... So, due to these circumstances, and the power of social media (i.e. FB and BBM), I was fortunately, able to get a flight and arrive in Orlando, on schedule .... Again, without the assistance of Marg, being up at 5am and on FB last week, the Dopey Challenge for me, should not have been possible ...

Day 2: Race Expo
Wednesday was a day of patience, I tell ya ...woke up early and headed to the Expo to pick up my race kit and the 10K for Rob (Tori's DH) and figured it would a quick in and out ... as it should have been ... but, it's me we are talking about, right ... Received a PM from Tori last week, that Owen and Rob had seen the preview video of the new 2014 limited edition Run Disney New Balance Running Shoes and that Owen had his eyes set on the Mickey Mouse Sorcerer's shoe, and ask me if I wouldn't mind picking one up for him ... was informed that she only took perhaps 15-30 minutes last year at the Expo, so I said " No Problemos ..." did a bit of googling and noticed that in other Run Disney events last year, it took upwards of an hour to get a shoe ... so, figured that was not too bad, and planned accordingly ...
Apparently, with all the early PR and announcements about these new shoes, they really set up a mass Deman, as it turned out ... Tuesday evening Run Disney posted a "How to Get Run Disney NB Running Shoe" video that went viral, that I actually found posted on FB on Wednesday morning, telling everyone that they will have to go to the Champion Stadium as they entered WWoS, in order to register to make an appointment to buy a shoe later on in the day, when a sales person was available ... Sure, no problemos .... arrived there at 9:45am and waited in line, along with hundreds of others, as it turned out ... Anyways, about 2 hours later, I finally made it and registered my name, and was #762 on the wait list, and they were currently serving #398 at that point and eta was another 2+ hour or so ..... eeeks !! Figured that it would allow me sufficient amount of time to get the race kits and head off to the Expo to go shopping for some schwag and then pick up the shoes ... quick and easy, right ??
Of the previous 4 Run Disney Expos I have been to, this, by far, was the most efficient, as I was in and out within minutes, likely due to missing all the early line-ups, as I was in the shoe line up one for 2 hours... :lol: ... headed to the Expo, picked up some race souvenirs and other schwags, etc ... and just waiting patiently .... and, waiting ... and, waiting ... it was about 2pm by this time, and still no text message from the NB peeps, so wandered on down to check on the status and, they were still only service into the early #400's by this time ... so that averages like 40-50 customers per hour ... asked how much longer and told another 2-3 hours, as they are just swamped ... and, then I asked, by chance if they still had any Boys shoes in size 13, 13.5 or size 1 in stock, and was told, "Yes", so I opted stick it out and continue waiting for my turn .... Anyways, by around 5pm or so, about 7 hours after I arrived at WWoS, finally got called down and assitned a Salesperson ... Asked me what I wanted and told her, a kids size in either 13, 13.5 or boys size 1 and a men's 8.5 for me (figured I get one for myself, considering I waited all this long) ... and, then she paused and gave me that look about not sure if there is anything left in those sized, but would check anyways ... eeeks !!!! my heart just went thump when I heard that ... a few minutes later, she returned wtih a Boys size 1 (one of the last two in stock) wheww !!! and, the last men's 8.5, which happened to be the Mickey Mouse Sorcerer shoe, as well ... tried them on for size and then continued on to check-out ... perhaps, a total of 5 minutes for me ... So, yes, BBM'ed Tori with "Success" ... then finally got the heck out of dodge and headed back to my resort to call it a day ....

Day 3 - Family and Friends 5K Run
Woke up early and arrived at the Race site around 4:30-5:00am or so, once I got my parking spot, etc... Walked around a bit, too, some photos and headed towards the corrals ... Felt good, weather was nice and mild and decided to run it at a comfortable tempo effort ... As the race start approached, the gun goes (err, horns) and we are off ... I quickly found my happy pace, for me, anyways, and then just started running ... wasn't really breathing hard, nor did my legs feel it, and actually had couple of photo ops on the course, so stopped and got some photos, then, suddenly, the finish line approaches ... The goal was 25 minutes and actual time was 22:30 ... oops, a wee bit faster then I had planned .... One down and three to go ... the weather was not the best the rest of the day with rain, etc, so just stayded in at the resort to r&r and get my morning nap, etc, and started to refuel and rehydrate, in preparation for the next day ....

Day 4 - Minnie Mouse 10K
This was to be the Inaugural Minnie Mouse 10K .... the race started at 5:30am, so got up around 2:30-3:00am or so, and arrived at the Epcot Parking Lot around 4am ... text'd Rob to let him know that I will be waiting for him at a certain spot before entering the race site and that I would be wearing my Superman costume, and should be easy to spot ... :lol: .... Anyways, we hooked up just before 4:30am ... headed towards the staging area, hit the port-o-potties, then parted ways to our respective corrals ... It was a hot and humid day, already about 22c at 5:30am .. and, in my mind, perhaps, not the best idea, in hindsight, to be wearing a costume, eh !!! Anyways, the race starts, and my legs just wasn't feeling as light/loose as it was during the previous day's 5K event ... eventually, I did find my pace for the day, which I was able to hold, but did not waiver too much, in that 5:15 mpk range ... I do not recall, but only noticed, 2 or 3 photo ops on the course, if that and did stop for a couple of them ... and, during the second half of the race, did started to feel very hot and humid .... In the end, crossed the finish line in about 53:25, a wee bit ahead of my original 55 minute time goal ... As with yesterday, headed back to the resort to shower and change and take a morning nap ... then met up with Tori, Rob and Owen for lunch in the afternoon to hand off the Mickey Mouse Sorcerer's shoes to Owen ... Yep, he was one happy 5 (almost 6 year old) boy when he put them on ...

Day 5 - Donald Duck Half Marathon
Woke up at about 2am or so, to get ready and head to Epcot and just hanging out at the Race Retreat .. with the weather so balmy this year, there wasn't really a need to pay the premium $$$ for the VIP treatment, but, did not regret it one bit, as it offered weather controlled conditions, yes, they had the a/c on at 3am, as it was in the high teen's by that time and humid outside ... as well as a number of port-o-potties, without having to wait in the huge line-ups outside, as well as pre-race breakfast, juices, etc ... The only disappointment, I felt, this year, as compared to previous years, was that the only photo-op made available inside the Race Retreat was with Mary Poppins and her side-kick along with the penguins .... Post race offered a hot breakfast, along with a souvenir socks/towel and access to a smalled rmt services and change facilities, etc ...
As for the race itself, this would be my 5th Donald Duck Half Marathon and pretty well found that the course no different than the past ... As with the 10K, only less than a handful of Character photo-ops on the course, but did take advantage of the opportunity when the occasion arose, as long it was only a 3-5 deep waiting line-up that is ... as it takes about 30-45 seconds per photo op, when you consider slowing down, stopping, handing camera to handler, having photo taken, grabbing camera from handler and then continuing on ... so, each extra person adds another 10-15 seonds per shot ...
As in the previous days, the fatigue of early wake up calls and running/racing, fatigue, both mentally and physically is starting to kick in ... as the legs was just not feeling it .. though, eventually, found a steady pace of about 5:30-5:40 ... Crossed the finish line in 1:57:53 ... also, a bit faster than I had planned, as it turns out with a 2 hour time goal ...

Day 6 - Mickey Mouse Marathon
Another 2am wake up call and arrived at Epcot and Race Retreat by 3:30am ... and, boy has fatigue set in ... I realized from early on that it would be more of an lsd effort, as I just did not feel any oomph in my legs nor my body, even before the race started ... and, revised my time goal for the day to be at a 4:30:00 marathon effort .... Started to head towards the staging area at 4:30am, yet takes about a half hour, as they actually allowed the runners to leaving accordingly, towards their corrals in some sort of logic this year, rather than in the past .. the fact that the weather was nice, allowed people head off rather than remain in the stage area to keep warm, as in the past .... At 5:30am, the race starts, fireworks go off ... every 2 minutes each Corral gets their own fireworks ... :)
As predicted, from the first step in the marathon, I knew it was to be a long day, as the legs just weren't moving as easily as I had hoped ... with the new course in it's second year, rather than running an 8k loop around Epcot, like in the half marathon, we head straight to the Magic Kingdom, running inside the Park and running through Cinderella's Castle, and stopped for a few photo ops ... Accepting this was not going to be a race day effort, I had already made the decision to take the opportunities as it comes up for photo ops on the course ... :) running on the WDW Speedway was kinda cool, stopped a few times to take photos of some race / sports cars .. The Animal Kingdom, as compared to previous years, appeared to have very limited photo ops, and running through and in the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex was also nice ... before heading to Disney Studios, again, if memory serves me correctly, there was only one or two photo ops, but with the temperatures creeping up into the high teens/low twenties, sorta kinda not surprised ... The last 12-15K included a lot of walk breaks, as I was starting to just get plain old tired at that time, though the heat did not help, just wanted to keep hydrated and fuelled so that I could maintain the pace to the finish line, without cramping up on the legs and avoid the "Wall" so to speak ... after leaving Disney Studios, it was just 8K or so to go, along the Disney Yacht Club (??) and in and around Epcot towards the finish line ...
There were several photo ops inside the final 1K or so inside of Epcot, and yes, I did manage to stop at all of them ... :) as, in the end, the final time was never an issue for me this year in the marathon, rather than to enjoy the most of the experience ... ended up crossing the finish line in 4:43:46 .....

Although, a year later, this was my 30th marathon in my 12th year since my first marathon in 2002 and how fitting this is to during the 2014 Inaugural Dopey Challenge .... :)

From what I have heard, registration opens for the 2015 WDW Marathon Race Weekend on April 22nd, and, yes, I plan to be there if possible, as I have some unresolved issues with this whole Dopey Challenge thing and, the new marathon course ... So, 2015, should be my year of Redemption ...

(Photos will follow)
Last edited by HCcD on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: I was destined to be Dopey ...

Postby HCcD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:59 am

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:02 am

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:03 am

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:04 am

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:16 am

For some reason, I teared up in the middle of your report.

Great report. Wow, all that swag! Good job on getting everything done.

edit: nice socks!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:29 am

Great report. Sounds like an awesome experience. :)
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:53 am

Wow,what a tough weekend. Great job getting it done. You have to go back next year I want a pair of shoes.
IMC 2015

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:54 am

You definitely had an adventure! Lots of successes too though. Congratulations on a great Dopey. Awesome race report.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:58 am

What a weekend!

Sounds tiring, but fun.

Congrats Dopey! :D :D
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:08 am

You're such a dope! :lol:
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:08 am

Oh yeah, and good job, well done, way to go, etc, etc :lol:

Can't wait to hear all about it in person!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:09 am

The challenge in the Dopey Challenge, to me, in the end, was pacing myself and adapting to early morning 2am or so wake up calls .... and, in the future, finding that sweet spot between running at a steady effort and tempo, while conserving energy between all 4 days of running and racing ...

Despite, Galloway's advice in the Runner's Guide, to actually walk, walk, walk:run, but mostly walk in the majority of the first three races, to conserve the energy and reduce fatigue (both physically and mentally) by running/racing them, I sorta-kinda, did the opposite .. and, guess what ... all the symptoms and effects as a result, that he had noted, was 100% bang on to how what I experienced ... So, yeath, perhaps, a former Olympic Medalist and Marathon Guru actually knows what he is talking about, eh !!! :shifty: :shock: :lol: :wink: :oops: :oops:

Anyways, this year, was a benchmark for me to improve on, whether on individual races for next year, and years to come and/or to just improve on the overall Official Dopey-combined time for the weekend ... Plan to be healthier and have a bit better training with increased back-to-back-to-back-to-back runs in the training cycle, as well ....

Also, for those considering a Dopey Challenge, making it more than seven days, to acclimate to the weather and early wake ups, while trying to fit in some Park times, before and after may also be on the agenda .. I may be making it an 8-10 day running holiday in 2015 .... :P

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:14 am

I was exhausted just reading your report and all those early morning wake ups.
Great stuff on getting it all done. :D

PS. You put 2012 as your first marathon, probably should be 2002?
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:33 am

What a Dopey thing to do.... :lol:
Glad that after the hassle of getting a flight you were able to get to Florida. Sounds like a tough but rewarding experience!
Congratulations!
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:40 pm

Awesome report! What an experience, thank you for sharing. Congratulations!!
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:12 pm

Great report Andy! Congratulations again. Nice way to start your 2014 comeback year. :) It sounds like you had a great experience, and I'm glad you want to go back next year.

I never thought I'd say this but I'd like to do this race sometime. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:49 pm

Wonderful report that kept me reading (it was almost as long as the Dopey itself! Just kidding...) No, great report and you have a heck of a lot of stamina to do the whole Dopey thing. Also, you are an awesome friend to do all that you did to get those shoes for Owen. Did he like it that you had matching shoes, too? And hats off to Marg!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:10 pm

Quite the pre-race events for you, Andy! Amazing how Marg was able to come through for you (hope you get a refund on that WestJet ticket!). Good on ya for going through all that trouble for little Owen. You're a great friend!

Congrats on your races.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:41 pm

Awesome report and great races, Andy. Also great pic! Congratulations!!

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:40 pm

Congrats on the great race report and races. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:16 pm

Well done, Andy. Glad everything worked out for you. Nice story how Marg helped you out and you getting the shoes for your little buddy, Owen.

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:21 pm

runJrun wrote:Awesome report! What an experience, thank you for sharing. Congratulations!!

Ditto

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:00 pm

Well done Andy, great effort and stamina to do the whole thing; and that after such a tough journey getting there.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:58 pm

Finally, uploaded the marathon photos to photobucket ... check out the slide show ... and, following, just a few teaser photos :)

http://s85.photobucket.com/user/hcid/slideshow/Dopey%202014

Return to “Run/Race Reports”