The Journey Back (pic added)

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

The Journey Back (pic added)

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:22 am

It was a beautiful day in Baytown yesterday. I went in a half marathon which included this bridge. It was my first half marathon and longest run since heel spur surgery in September. I finished in 2:25, which works out to 11:06 per mile. That is fantastic!

Here is the long form of the race report:

The post surgery journey…

9/1/13 I was supposed to be in a 12 hour race. It was in Fenton Missouri and the temperature was a humid +90F. My heel did really well for about 4 hours and 16 or so miles. Then, the pain in the heel became totally bad. At a little over 7 hours and 26 miles, I decided to bag the race. I decided that I would come home and find an orthopedic.

I went to the insurance company web site. I typed in “heel spur surgery” and picked a clinic. I called the clinic and told the nurse what I wanted. She made an appointment with Dr Panchbhavi. I went to see him, a quiet Indian; professor of orthopedics at UTMB. Surgery was scheduled.

9/26/13 half marathon in 2h50. I was in massive pain due to a retrocalcaneal heel spur. I could hardly walk after that.

I spent the following week in Pittsburgh for work thinking I’d have surgery on Thursday after I got home. On Monday 9/23, the clinic called and asked if I could do my surgery the following day. I lined up a friend to drive me around, left instructions for my boss to move my computer stuff to an accessible office and off I went.

9/24/13 by 10 am, I am home with pain killers and crutches. They should give you training on crutches. This evening I nearly kill myself on one step.

I am non-weight bearing for 6 weeks. On day 2, I realize that crutches are really hard on me. I ask a friend to borrow his knee scooter. I ask another friend to go to the state office and obtain a handicapped parking tag for me. I ask someone to drive me to the drug store to buy a shower bench.

10/1 I go for my post surgical Dr appointment. The surgical splint is removed and I have a boot. 5 more weeks of non-weight bearing.

I begin to complete twice daily floor exercises; leg lifts and situps of various types. After a couple of weeks, I add easy stationary bike. After another week, my upper body is not so exhausted from the crutches so I add upper body free weights to the routine.

11/4 I go to the doctor. The boot is removed and he wishes me a nice life. What? That’s it?

I hire myself a sports chiropractor, Dr Dustin, to help me rehab my achilles. We begin twice weekly sessions.

It is amazing how sorry a calf and foot can become if not used for 6 weeks. The first few days, there was a massive pain in my foot and I can’t really use the achilles at all.

11/9 My first walk outside in Seabrook park. 0.46 miles took 18 minutes. The next day I went 1.6 miles in 44 minutes. God my foot hurt. I saw the regular people in the park but I don’t think they recognized me.

Life goes on. My worst problem seems to be wearing shoes at work. I am in pain all day every day. But it is getting better. I progress with Dr Dustin through level 1 then level 2 then level 3. My weekend walks become jog/ walks and I get able to go longer and longer. I am cross training a lot and continuing my leg lifts and core exercises. I start to do short runs.

In January, United Airlines lowered the price of a round trip ticket to Calgary to $570. Since I have friends meeting in Calgary for the marathon on 6/1, how could I not pass up buying a ticket? My weekend long jog/walk is already at 10 miles.

Then, I decide to enter a half marathon in my home town in March. It is good swag and would be in the park I am always in so I might as well enter. Then, I decide, what the heck; and enter a half marathon in Baytown in February.

That brings me to today, 2/15/2014. 4 months and change, still dealing with various issues but overall doing well. I begin my day as usual with my spiritual lesson from A Course in Miracles: “God is the love in which I forgive” I won’t explain all about what the book says about this phrase but I bring it up because my mind was stuck on it all during the race.

I get a great parking spot and wait in the car for race time. Then, I am at a starting line with several hundred other runners. I like it. I like seeing the various shapes and sizes of the people who presume to run half marathons. I am one of them.

Start. I just start jogging. I am doing easy pace. After a mile I look at my Garmin: easy pace is just over 11 min miles. What? Isn’t that too fast? I guess it is, but it is easy so I just keep doing easy. Miles go by and the pace remains the same. A little slower going up the bridge but a little faster coming down the bridge.

My buddy from work, Barry, is at the bottom of the bridge and takes my picture. The race moves onto a bike path and the volunteers have put a lot of motivating signs along the course. These are entertaining. I keep running.

Does my foot hurt? Exactly where? How bad is it? Yes it hurts, but I keep going without any trouble. I look at my watch some more. Wow, I’m really going fast. I feel ok energy wise. Worries about the foot are not too bad. I keep passing people. Just one more mile. I put a little effort into it, trying to balance speed with worry.

I see the finish. I look intense as I pass the photographer. They announce my name as I cross the line. I stop the Garmin and look: 2h25 at an average speed of 11:06 per mile. OMG, awesome!

This was the longest post-surgery run in distance and by far the fastest. I really don’t know how it was possible. It means a lot to me to be running at all. When I decided to go for surgery I didn’t care if I ever ran again. I was just hoping to walk without being hateful all the time. Thirteen 11 min miles seems incredible. But I did it. Now several hours later, my heel is not in bad shape; just the usual scar tissue pain.

Am I different now? Not really. When I go in a race, I try a little harder than when by myself. And so I amaze myself. Races are a pain as they require logistics; but they also bring camaraderie and swag. So, a balance; enough but not too much.

Running and racing have been part of my life since I was a teenager. I can't give it up.

Last edited by Spirit Unleashed on Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Re: The Journey Back

Postby Ken B » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:13 am

Absolutely fantastic, Laura!! I am so impressed! Congratulations on a great effort. I am so looking forward to seeing you in Calgary in June! :)

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:25 am

So, so, so happy for you, my friend. I'm very glad to read about another race.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:23 pm

Awesome! Inspiring! Congratulations! :D
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Spirit wrote:It means a lot to me to be running at all.

Injuries suck, but the sense of gratitude during a comeback is pretty special. See you in Calgary.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: The Journey Back (pic added)

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:10 pm

Thanks people!

Pic added to first post.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:16 pm

Good pics!!

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:31 pm

Congrats!!

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:54 pm

it really is awesome - not just the time on the clock, but also the work you put into getting back. congrats!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:50 am

Fantastic!
You are an inspiration to me!
Wish I was going to see you in Calgary :(
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:38 am

great pictures! So glad you're able to be out there, doing what we all love.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:22 pm

Congratulations again.

Run for joy, run for life. I'm so happy that you are finding that joy again.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:32 pm

VERY happy to read this report -- you worked hard, you persevered, and now you have reaped the benefits!! :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:39 pm

Spirit wrote:Running and racing have been part of my life since I was a teenager. I can't give it up.

Great to see you back at it, Laura, and having fun out on the course. I'm with you on the "forever" part, except that I just may have to give it up.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:51 pm

Congrats on your recovery. Great race report. See you in Calgary.
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:57 am

Just wonderful, Spirit! Great report, great recovery, and I am so happy for you that you are running so well now. Congratulations!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:36 pm

Glad to see you back at it!
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:09 pm

erinmcd wrote:Glad to see you back at it!

+1 Welcome back!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”