The Tortoise - Boston Strong

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Ken B
Lynn Williams

The Tortoise - Boston Strong

Postby Ken B » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:53 pm

As most of you know, last year was my first Boston Marathon and I was about 1 km from the finish when the bombs went off. As a result, my main goal for 2014 was to run the Boston Marathon again. Although I had a qualifying time already in the bank, I took advantage of the guaranteed entry for this year's marathon offered by the BAA. Ever since last April, my thoughts regarding running pretty much revolved around being ready for this year. Despite a little hiccup last September, everyone went well. My training was back up to my regular programme. I knew that this year would be an important and emotional point in my running path. I was not wrong.
Prerace: Bonnie and I drove to Rochester, New York on Friday afternoon and on to Boston on Saturday morning. It was a pleasant uneventful trip. We arrived at the Expo about 2 PM on Saturday. The organization regarding packet pick up and shirt retrieval was superb. The expo was large, as expected. We spent about 2 hours there. The highlight was meeting the Hoyts. I purchased an official short sleeve race shirt and an official race jacket. I also have the 2013 jacket, but this one means a lot more to me. I was also able to buy a pair of Altra One Squared shoes. It is a new , very light, zero drop shoe from Altra.
We then drove on to Franklin, Massachusetts where we checked into the same Hotel as last year. On Sunday, we took the commuter train down to downtown Boston and did a leisurely walk about for a few hours.
Race Day:
Getting to the Athlete's village was as easy as last year. Bonnie drove me into Hopkinton before the roads were closed and dropped me off a few hundred metres from the athlete's village. I arrived there about 7 AM and secured a spot to put down a Mylar blanket and I rested until about 10 AM. I read a paperback novel and actually had a couple short naps. After a last pit stop, I lined up and left the athlete's village for my starting corral at 10:45. It took about 15 minute to walk to Wave 3, Corral 7. I handed my throw away clothes to volunteers on the way. While waiting in the start area , there was a moment of silence for last year's victims. It was very moving. I was quite impressed with how quiet the start was. Not much chatter.
Race: The course is quite a challenge. The first 1 1/2 km of so are downhill, often an a steep decline. I tried to hold back, knowing that going out too fast is a recipe for disaster on this course. The first half is overall downhill but has pretty much a rolling terrain. I felt good and crossed the 10 km mat in 56:32 - too fast!! There were many more spectators this year. Some friends of mine from K-W were volunteering and I spotted three of them about 1 1/2 km in. Things went well and I really enjoyed the first half of the race. My chip time at the half-marathon mat was 2:02:16 ( about 2 minutes slower than last year ) Then the heat started to affect my running. The steady string of up hill sections start about mile 16 and go to mile 21 which is the top of heartbreak hill. I had a lot of difficulty navigating this section. The heat was bothering me, my breathing wasn't smooth and I felt tired. I took a couple of extra walk breaks on the hills. . Throughout the race, I was trying to follow a 10 and 1 pattern. Even after walking most of heartbreak hill, I wasn't able to get back a running rhythm. As a result I not only slowed down a bit while running the last part of the course, I also took extra walk breaks. I drank all my own Gatorade Endurance drink from my fuel belt and used the water stations for the last few km. I took a gel at 10 and 30 km and a Honey Stinger Waffle at 20 km. Despite this, I was feeling a bit nauseous and weak at times. The last part of the race was certainly the toughest that I have faced for some time. There were three very emotional points in this race. The start , the spot where I had been stopped last year, and the run down Boylston Street to the finish. The noise from the spectators was deafening. I was all choked up, both thinking of last year's events and feeling so good about running this year. I almost burst into tears when a volunteer put the medal over my head and said, " You are a Boston Marathoner".
Post Race: It is a long walk from the finishing mat to the end of the athlete's route past the food and water. A volunteer wrapped the new poncho around me and fastened it for me, another handed me a bottle of water and yet another a bag of food. Farther along I collected two bottles of Gatorade Recovery Shakes, one chocolate ( quite good ) and one Vanilla ( terrible ). Then I ( slowly ) made my way back to the Prudential Center where bonnie was waiting for me. Along the way my friends Janice, Sue, Sarah, Deb, and Dave saw me and Janice helped me get to meet Bonnie ( I guess I looked as bad as I felt! :) ) Then Bonnie and I took the commuter train back to our car and drove back to the hotel. There I iced my legs and then had a hot tub treatment.
Results: My Garmin measured an even 43 km so my Garmin splits are a bit different from the official ones.

Here are the official ones:
5K - 28:24
10K - 56:32
15K - 1:25:58
20K - 1:55:52
Half - 2:02:16
25K - 2:26:26
30K - 2:57:46
35K - 3:31:13
40K - 4:03:51
Finish - 4:18:06
Overall - 21510/31931
Men - 12643/17575
M70-74 - 33/166

My Garmin 5 km segments were as follows:
#1 28:16 AP: 5:39 min/km - AHR: 145 bpm
#2 27:56 5:35 147
#3 29:13 5:50 146
#4 29:40 5:55 146
#5 30:12 6:02 147
#6 30:44 6:08 150
#7 33:03 6:36 149 ( heartbreak hill )
#8 30:54 6:10 149
#9 18:14 6:06 154

My "A" Goal was 4:15 - Missed it! :(
My "B" Goal was to qualify for Boston at Boston ( Under 4:25 ) - Achieved!! :dance:
This was certainly an event of many emotions. I am so very blessed to have been able to participate in it. I want to thank all my friends both in K-W and on runningmania for all their support!! I want to thank and acknowledge the tremendous help and support that I get on a daily basis from the love of my life - Bonnie - Youse da bees knees!!

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Re: The Tortoise - Boston Strong

Postby purdy65 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:37 pm

Oh yes :D That Bonnie is a Sherpa extraordinaire!

Congratulations Ken! So glad you made it back and crossed that finish line!

The general sense I'm getting from numerous reports is that the heat did get to a lot of people - even though it wasn't as bad as '12

So you going to join me there next year? HMMM????
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:44 pm

Great report, Ken. So glad you were able to cross the finish line this year. I can see how it would be very emotional after being so close last year.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:00 pm

I’ve been eagerly waiting for this RR and I have not been disappointed, yet another truly inspiring RR Ken! Thank-you for sharing you experience with us on Monday.

Congrats on qualifying again for 2015! So that begs to ask the question, will you be heading down to Boston next year?
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:15 pm

Outstanding! Congrats! :D
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:00 pm

good job!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:01 pm

purdy65 wrote:Oh yes :D That Bonnie is a Sherpa extraordinaire!

Congratulations Ken! So glad you made it back and crossed that finish line!

The general sense I'm getting from numerous reports is that the heat did get to a lot of people - even though it wasn't as bad as '12

So you going to join me there next year? HMMM????

Yep!!! :)

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:29 pm

Ken you did fantastic making your B goal. What you describe in your race is exactly how I felt in mine. I'm not sure but I think coming out of a cold winter into 74F weather is too much for us Canadians :). Not sure. Congrats to you for still meeting your goal though, that's terrific. I looked for you out there but knew it was a long shot.

Awesome stuff.

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:51 pm

Excellent Ken- congratulations!
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:01 pm

Excellent Ken! So glad it worked out so well do you. Sounds like a great Boston experience.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:10 pm

Congratulations and well done! Thanks for the excellent report. It conveyed the emotions of the day very well. I watched the race on TV and wished I had been there too.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:20 pm

Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:54 pm

Thanks, spirit. I still have problems posting pics here.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:54 pm

Great pic, you look strong, for sure! Thanks, Ken, for the report of your triumphant return to Boston. Big congratulations! (And I'll stay away from that vanilla Gatorade drink, thanks for the heads-up!)
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:25 pm

Congratulations &thanks for the report. Sounds like a great experience.
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:28 pm

Glad you had a great experience there, Ken. Hitting that B goal sounds pretty awesome, too.

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:22 am

What a redemptive race, Ken, and a beautiful, heart-filled report! Your last few paragraphs made me cry (but in a good way). Congratulations - what an awesome feeling crossing that finish line must have been - that'll be with you forever :).

And I love the pic - it totally captures your joy!
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:27 am

Great report...and great pic.
You had a great race...I think Bonnie will be a Boston Sherpa for many years to come! :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:38 am

Another marathon, Ken ?? :shock: :lol: :wink:

Congratulations ... :dance: :dance:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:45 am

Love the race photo!

congratulations Ken! Well done! :D
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”