If you can't take the heat .... ORW 2014

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Bruce Kidd

If you can't take the heat .... ORW 2014

Postby newbie » Mon May 26, 2014 6:48 am

I signed up for this race knowing that this time I would be prepared. I did the 1/2 marathon clinic and finshed all the training despite the bad winter and all the knee issues I was having. I was nervous because I wasn't sure what to expect this time as I had never went into a half this prepared. I had slipped in the shower on Wednesday morning and I was sure that I had damaaged my knee but a 6k run that night confirmed it was good to go. I had done everything right the week before hydrated, got lots of sleep and I felt I was ready. What I wasn't ready for was the heat!!!

I carpooled with 2 of the girls from my clinic and we got downtown and had plenty of time to hit the bathroom and get to our corrals. We had planned on doing 10 & 1's and to walk through the water stops. The first 5k were great and I wasn't noticing the heat. We got to the first water stop and they were out of cups wtf!!! So we kept going knowing there was another down the street. The second one was out of cups too, I had gatorade and drank that. We also stopped at this point for a pee break. Once we hot westboro it got really hot and thankfully there was cups so I took water and gatorade, the water ended up over my head. Things were going fine until we hit the hill in front of the war museum. We hit a walk break at the bottom so we walked, at that point we were about 2 mins behind our 2:30 goal time. Once we hit gatineau that's when things went downhill for me. Running up hotel de ville I got really dizzy and lightheaded. I stopped and walked. I managed to make it to the water stop in front of the museum and took water and gatorade, the water went down fine but the gatorade came right back up. I spent the next 5 mins emptying my stomach on the side of the course. Within a couple of mins I had 2 paramedics next to me asking if I needed help, I told them that I was finishing this damm thing i had to crawl but thanks anyway. I grabbed a couple of sponges and stuff one down my back and the other under my hat and kept going. I walked across the bridge to the art gallery and tried to run again and was able to run for a couple of mins. I stopped at the next water stop and took some water which stayed down. At this point the cramping started as well. I stopped and was able to stretch and keep going. I made the turn at pretoria in 2:35 and I figured I could at least beat my last time of 2:39 so I went for it but my body just didn't have a steam left. I did manage 2:44 which I am very disappointed in but atleast I finished.

I had myself convinced that if anything went wrong this race it would be my knee, I finished the race with absoutely no knee pain and actually I wasn't very stiff at all. I did however require at 3hr nap.

I guess I learned a valuable lesson that you can't prepare for evything and that you can't predict the weather. I guess I should stick to fall halfs!!!
Next up:

Feb 2015 - Castaway Key 5k
March 2015 - St. Patrick's Day 10k
May 2015 - ORW 1/2 Marathon

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Re: If you can't take the heat .... ORW 2014

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon May 26, 2014 7:54 am

Sounds like a tough one for you!! Yowza...Rest and recovery well. Congrats on finishing.

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Mon May 26, 2014 8:30 am

Congrats on finishing another half marathon despite having a tough day!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon May 26, 2014 9:49 am

MikeM wrote:Congrats on finishing another half marathon despite having a tough day!

this!

excellent job newbie (we'll have to get you a new name soon).
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

n_fraser
Tom Longboat

Postby n_fraser » Mon May 26, 2014 10:55 am

You are a trooper!! I hope you are feeling okay today.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon May 26, 2014 11:18 am

Spirit wrote:
MikeM wrote:Congrats on finishing another half marathon despite having a tough day!

this!

excellent job newbie (we'll have to get you a new name soon).

Yeah, something like ... oldie .. Ha !!! :shifty: :lol: :wink:

Way-da-Go, though, in toughing it out ... Another 1/2 in the books, as they say ... :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 26, 2014 1:31 pm

Nice finish, Todd. Often it's the things that we least expect that present the most challenges, but I'm glad your knee held up. That's a big plus.

It sounds like many people were challenged by the heat this year-- and sucks that they ran out of cups at the earlier aid stations. I'm sure that made a big difference for you. Were you trying to take gels even when you didn't have the water? That can also cause huge demand on your GI tract. Throwing up in a race must really suck.

Recover well.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Bruce Kidd

Postby newbie » Mon May 26, 2014 1:52 pm

Jwolf wrote:Nice finish, Todd. Often it's the things that we least expect that present the most challenges, but I'm glad your knee held up. That's a big plus.

It sounds like many people were challenged by the heat this year-- and sucks that they ran out of cups at the earlier aid stations. I'm sure that made a big difference for you. Were you trying to take gels even when you didn't have the water? That can also cause huge demand on your GI tract. Throwing up in a race must really suck.

Recover well.

Thanks, Jwolf. I don't do gels so that wasn't a factor. I use shot blocks and they can go down with gatorade which I carry with me. BTW congrats on the marathon, there is a plans for a marathon in Vegas in 2016 (not sure I am ready for that one but we will see)
Next up:

Feb 2015 - Castaway Key 5k
March 2015 - St. Patrick's Day 10k
May 2015 - ORW 1/2 Marathon

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon May 26, 2014 2:06 pm

Congratulations on a toughly fought finish!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon May 26, 2014 5:12 pm

glad your knee held up! ottawa is such a crap shoot weather wise!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon May 26, 2014 5:15 pm

Great report and congratulations on finishing during such tough situations!! Better luck next time!

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Tue May 27, 2014 2:13 pm

It was very hot out here on Sunday morning and I'm sorry to hear it has had an impact on your race. :(

Congratulations on finishing, though! :dance:
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

OLRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby OLRunner » Tue May 27, 2014 5:38 pm

Congratulations on coping with the heat and an upset stomach! Sounds like it was a tough day, but you got it done.
"We still got a long way to go" Alice Cooper
"I don't wanna stop" Ozzy Osbourne

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Wed May 28, 2014 12:01 pm

OLRunner wrote:Congratulations on coping with the heat and an upset stomach! Sounds like it was a tough day, but you got it done.

+1
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed May 28, 2014 8:43 pm

You are one tough guy!! Sounds like the heat gave a lot of people considerable misery this year, and you can be very proud of yourself for finishing the race. Congratulations!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Return to “Run/Race Reports”