Ottawa Marathon 2014

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Pat29
Bill Crothers

Ottawa Marathon 2014

Postby Pat29 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:36 am

Sunday was marathon number 10 for me and my sixth consecutive Ottawa Marathon. Going in the plan was to beat my time from last year, 3:12:25 and aim for my elusive qualifying time for the Boston Marathon. With the preparation I had I certainly felt ready to do that.

In terms of my preparation, I would say without a doubt this time was the best I have been prepared in terms of nutrition and a plan for race day. The week leading up to race day was the most disciplined one I have had in terms of ensuring I was taking in the right amount of carbs to fuel my run.

The weather was ideal at the start with overcast skies, a cool breeze and foggy patches. As planned I lined up with the 3:10 pace bunny. My plan was to stick with him for about 30 km before I would take off ahead and try and get the buffer needed to register for Boston. I felt like I had a great race in me from the start. I was ahead of my goal pace at 10 km, 15 km and the half.

The first sign of trouble for me came at 27 km on the Alexandra Bridge headed back across the Ottawa River to the Ottawa side. It was here that I had to deal with the first in a series of painful calf cramps. I stopped to stretch my calves quickly hoping that would do the trick.

I took off again and felt fine, having no trouble maintaining a steady pace. Unfortunately I had to stop and stretch again around the 30 km mat. From this point on I was able to run for about 2 km before my calf started throbbing again. After stretching around the 38 km mark I was able to carry on to the finish line without stopping but the damage was already done.

I passed my family just before the finish line and crossed in 3:15:16. Knowing where they were going to be gave me incentive to keep pushing over the last km.

Unfortunately my BQ will have to wait for another day. On a positive note I am more convinced than ever that I am on the verge of attaining my goal. I was still on pace for it at 30 km. Unfortunately the final 12 km took me an hour to complete. I feel like I am knocking at the door and once I figure out the solution to the calf cramps that have plagued me in my last two marathons I will be in. One idea that comes to mind is that it is possibly being caused by fatigue and a change in my form late in marathons.

As for what comes next, I’ll take a shot at it again in the fall. As mentioned in another post, I am registered to run the Rock n Roll Marathon in Montreal in September but since it can still be hot and humid in Montreal at that time of year and I have not heard the best reviews about the organization of that race I am not sure yet that I want to make that my goal race for the fall. I am going to take some time to figure out the best plan.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: Ottawa Marathon 2014

Postby HCcD » Tue May 27, 2014 11:57 am

Congratulations, on another solid marathon, Pat ... :P

I heard that Edmonton, in August, was a fast / flat course .. Ha !!! :shifty:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue May 27, 2014 1:52 pm

you're so close! i'm inspired by your dedication to keep improving each time.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue May 27, 2014 1:52 pm

Congrats to you. Still a majorly impressive time especially with calf cramps. Nice work out there on #10

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Ottawa Marathon 2014

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 27, 2014 2:34 pm

Another strong run. Congratulations.

I know you've been chasing this BQ for a while- you have the perseverance and drive and you will get there. :) good luck with your next training cycle.

I've had the plague of calf cramps too, and I'm pretty sure it's just a combination of some electrolyte loss/hydration and fatigue from starting at a pace I can't sustain. I don't think it's from a change in form- it's more of a physiological than a physical thing. It's a terrible feeling- if I figure it out I'll let you know.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Tue May 27, 2014 5:40 pm

I train a bit with Pat and know that he puts in solid training cycles. Last time, he followed my advice on some targets. This time he used a phantom coach. It looked like it was all there. Great half time in April, etc.. Feels like it is there to be had. Shows that little things can throw off great work. Next time. I know Pat is already refocusing. Awesome commitment.

PS Not to open the BQ debate too wide but I would argue when Pat hits 3:09.45 (15 sec margin) he deserves to go to Boston more than some one who runs 3:54.10.(50 sec margin) He has taken at least 5 solid runs at it. On BQ qualifying everyone who runs under 345 and meets their standard so get in.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Wed May 28, 2014 12:03 pm

Pat29 wrote: On a positive note I am more convinced than ever that I am on the verge of attaining my goal.

Agreed!
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed May 28, 2014 8:39 pm

Darn calf cramps! You surely would have reached your goal if not for them. Congrats on a well-run race!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Fri May 30, 2014 2:39 pm

Congratulations on completing #10! It's always disappointing to miss our goals. But you'd set a lofty,albeit achievable one which is admirable. Keep up the positive attitude. It sounds like you will achieve that goal very soon. Would calf strengthening help any? I have no idea as I haven't experienced that problem but I know it's a common one.

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Return to “Run/Race Reports”