Habs Did the Distance

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Habs Did the Distance

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Calgary 50k Ultra Marathon, June 1, 2014

Friday: Drove to Calgary. Went to the expo with my friend to get race kits, we took Memorial, but noticed it was going to be closed in the AM. I needed to figure out a new route..... I met RickC at the expo, nice to put a face to a name. I was in bed by 8:30 and slept pretty good.

Saturday: Awake about 7:30. Hung out with my friends drinking coffee and water. I wanted to make sure I knew how to get down to the race site on my own, so left in lots of time for the MANDATORY meeting. (That's another story). I sort of got lost, but in the end found my way to Stampede grounds in lots of time. We talked about the strategy for the morning and decided to head south and park at Anderson Station and train it back. (This worked out great for race day.)
Spirit was picked up and delivered to the race expo by Ken and his wife, it was nice to meet them. Met up with Hammie, Turd, and Ian. We stood around talking and Ian had some very good advice (as always). "Go out at your long run pace". It was then I decided to ditch looking at the Garmin and run by feel. Run when I could and walk when I had to. (I see one of my pictures has me looking at my Garmin). Oops.

Sunday: Woke at 2:15, laid in bed until 3:30. Got up and got organized, we were on the road by 5:00 and at Anderson station by 5:30. It was already busy at Stampede grounds by the time we got there about 5:50am. It was about 10C at this time, so ditched to throw away before the race started.

The Race: This is where I don't really know what to say. Lol
I ran 50k, it was hard, I finished, and I wasn't last.

It was a mess getting into the corrals, I was stuck in a mass of humanity outside the 4:30 (marathon), corral. It took me about 7 minutes to get into the flow of people and cross the start line.
In our race kit we were given a (cheap) hand held bottle which I filled with water to use for the first 9k until the 1/2 marathoners split away and the aid stations would be less crowded. I ditched the hand held at the next station.
I was feeling good and running along quite well but about 28k I tried to take a gel and my stomach just said no way. After that all I could take were little sips of water. I even tried totally watering down Gatorade, but my stomach just wouldn't let me. I felt OK until about 1/4 of the way through the second loop of the out and back along Memorial, but after that it was a struggle. I just didn't have enough fuel in me and I was feeling it. I started walking more and more and found it hard to talk myself into running, then when I did my calves were cramping. I texted Steve and Jennifer to let them know I was at 44k and walking, LOTS.
So, the last bit wasn't pretty, but I got it done.
I saw Spirit, Hammie and Ken out on the course, that helped give me a boost, but it didn't last too long.
I was so happy to finally see the finish line and be done.

Final time:
5:43:20 (gun time)
5:36:38 chip.

Post race: Laura and I headed to Mike's, showered, and had a great visit with some wonderful Maniacs. I was starved by then and managed two helpings of salad and a nice strong cup of coffee. Thanks for the hospitality, Mike and family.
-not sure why my stomach rebelled during the race, I usually have an iron clad stomach.

For the record, I'm glad it did the race, but I will NEVER do a 50k road race again. Please hold me to it if anyone sees me wavering.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Re: Habs Did the Distance

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:50 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ :-BD :-BD :-BD :-BD :-BD :-BD :-BD :-BD
:YMPARTY: :YMPARTY: :YMPARTY: :YMPARTY: :YMPARTY: :YMPARTY: :YMPARTY: :YMPARTY: :YMPARTY: :YMPARTY:
:YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :X! :X! :X! :X! :X! :X! :X!
:(|) :(|) :(|) :(|) :(|) :(|)
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:08 pm

Congratulations! Weird about the tummy troubles. And yet, you still finished. Yay! Now, about never doing another 50k road race... There must be a 50K trail race somewhere out your way... :twisted:
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:09 pm

I am so happy for you. Great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMC 2015

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:13 pm

Habs4ever wrote:For the record, I'm glad it did the race, but I will NEVER do a 50k road race again.

For the record, both the 2nd & 5th place finishers told me the same thing after the race. Congratulations for getting it done anyway and earning a memorable experience.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:25 pm

I'm going to ignore that last sentence, because I'm an enabler :lol: . Congratulations - you hit your goals despite having a lot of challenges thrown at you on race day. You should be very proud of yourself.

We also shouldn't wait for another event like this to meet up again for training runs!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:29 pm

I have gone back and forth about marathons but there is absolutely no doubt, no worry about never saying NEVER so I too can say that I will never do a 50 K ever again. The training was good, I loved that I did the race but my thought, your thought is something that I think the majority of people concluded. It is something very special and almost magical to have done but been there and done that really does apply.

I truly believe this is a distance where the time does not matter because I read your journal and the long, long runs on their own is one hell of an accomplishment. I also believe one cannot run a bad 50 K and as I was starting to push hard to get to 5:15, I heard one guy said they he was pretty sure that he was not going to win and so why not enjoy the beautiful day and sunshine and be proud of just finishing. Plus you can say that in Calgary in 2014 you ran a PB in the 50 K distance.

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:51 pm

Congratulations Sue on your first 50K! Having to endure almost half the race without fuel or water sounds really tough. Well done getting it done and you look great in your pictures!

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Habs Did the Distance

Postby marymac442 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:18 pm

Congrats on a great race, sorry that your guts made it so hard on you. Considering how I usually feel in the last 10k of a marathon I can't imagine toughing it our for another 8k.
Last edited by marymac442 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:35 pm

Congratulations again Sue. What a way to tough it out when thing got tough. I'm sorry about the tummy troubles- hope that was just a one-time thing.

I was so happy to hear from you yesterday when you finished.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

narr
Tom Longboat

Postby narr » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:10 am

Habs4ever wrote:For the record, I'm glad it did the race, but I will NEVER do a 50k road race again. Please hold me to it if anyone sees me wavering.

I think when I say "NEVER", God smiles, and then guess what happens ... ;-)

I enjoyed following your training and was anxious to hear that you finished.

Congratulations.

narr
narr = not a real runner

Running is a privilege.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:23 am

Way da Go, Susan!!! Congratulations, You Are An Ultra-Nut!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :lol:

So, I guess you will not be coming down to Niagara on the Lake next June, and run with me for the 50K?? They do have a 100k option, as well... Ha!!! :shifty:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:36 am

Congratulations Susan! You're Habs didn't go the distance, but you did! :lol:
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:20 am

narr wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:For the record, I'm glad it did the race, but I will NEVER do a 50k road race again. Please hold me to it if anyone sees me wavering.

I think when I say "NEVER", God smiles, and then guess what happens ... ;-)

I enjoyed following your training and was anxious to hear that you finished.

Congratulations.

narr

Thanks Greg. Make sure you pass on the link to MaryAnne, she was wanting a report of how I did too.
Last edited by Habs4ever on Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:22 am

RobW wrote:Congratulations Sue on your first 50K! Having to endure almost half the race without fuel or water sounds really tough. Well done getting it done and you look great in your pictures!

I drank water, but only little sips at a time. I'm usually a "gulper" so that was weird. :lol:

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:26 am

Thanks everyone for reading, following along with my training and all your kinds words of encouragement. Maniacs are great! :D
Last edited by Habs4ever on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:47 am

Good on you Susan! Sometimes in life we just have to do something that scares the CR*p out us. It makes life worth living! It sounds like a wonderful experience!

I've had similar issues - not in races, but runs, where my body just won't stomach the gels. I DON'T have a cast iron stomach for sure.

Congratulations! And I love the pics in your journal!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:58 am

way to go!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:21 am

way to go! (never say never... I bet you'll do another 50k :))
Just call me the thread killa

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:32 am

Congrats, and welcome to the 50K club! :)

Nutrition really is as important as training when it comes to getting it done on race day. It doesn't matter how well trained you are, if you can't take in fuel it makes for a very long/difficult day. Sucks that your body just didn't want to cooperate. Maybe it was the "heat."
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:36 am

y'all are missing an important word: "I will NEVER do a 50k road race again". :wink:

fantastic report. seems like just yesterday that you registered and were streaking! congratulations!

what's the other story about the mandatory meeting?

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:10 pm

I thought your finish time was great, and then I read that you did most of it without fuel and very little water. Now I am even more impressed! I, too, love to follow along on your journal, and will continue to do so, no matter what distances you run. I will be happy to "dis-enable" you, if you do desire!

Anyway, congratulations again!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:27 pm

Avis wrote:I thought your finish time was great, and then I read that you did most of it without fuel and very little water. Now I am even more impressed! I, too, love to follow along on your journal, and will continue to do so, no matter what distances you run. I will be happy to "dis-enable" you, if you do desire!

Anyway, congratulations again!

I was able to take gels until the 28k, and I did have Gatorade before that too, but after 28k just some water. I did try gels, but just couldn't get them down.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:44 pm

I've already said everything I needed to say to you this weekend! But, I just couldn't let your report go by without commenting.
Very proud of you!
Luv ya! :D
:twisted:
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:14 pm

Spirit wrote:
I've already said everything I needed to say to you this weekend! But, I just couldn't let your report go by without commenting.
Very proud of you!
Luv ya! :D
:twisted:

Quit stealing my comments, eh?

Return to “Run/Race Reports”