Dashing Through Downtown Burlington

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Ken B
Lynn Williams

Dashing Through Downtown Burlington

Postby Ken B » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:45 am

I found out about this race ( Eaton Downtown Dash - Burlington, Ontario ) when I received a brochure in my race packet for the Burlington Canada Day 5K. It mentioned that the Ontario Masters Championship 10K race was part of this event. This tweaked my interest. Where do I fit in the picture regarding other runners my age in Ontario. I had to join Athletics Canada to enter that past of the competition. I did that and received my Athletics Canada Membership number. Then I registered for the Downtown Dash. As there was no space to enter my AC Number, I emailed " Ontario Masters Athletics ( my branch of Athletics Canada ) " to inquire how to ensure that I was entered as an Ontario Masters competitor. I received a reply that the Ontario Championship event for 10K had been switched to April in London , Ontario!! Hmm!! I did let them know that sucked! I decided to run the race anyway. BTW - The Canadian Masters 10K Championships are being run at the Toronto Zoo Run 10K on Sept. 20. However, I am running the Top of Utah Marathon that day.
The Race: Eaton Downtown Dash 10K
Mrs. Tortoise and I drove down mid afternoon and ate supper in the food court at Mapleview Mall. We then drove the short distance to downtown Burlington and were able to find a free parking spot near the Start/Finish area. Despite my right instep problems that I have experienced recently, I had three possible goals in mind.
Goal # 1: - finally run a 10K race under 50 minutes ( pie in the sky type goal! :D! )
Goal # 2: - get a new PB ( On June 15 at the Waterloo Classic 10K I had run a 51:13 time, eclipsing my previous PB of 2004 by 2 1/2 minutes. )
Goal # 3: - under 55 minutes.
The course is two loops of the 5K course which runs along the Burlington Streets. Lots of twists and turns. The first 1 1/2 km are a slight decline and the nest 1 1/2 km are a slight incline. The remained of the course is flat. I was a bit concerned regarding my right foot. But, although irritating, it did not affect my running at all. I quickly settled into a pace of around 5 min/km. Starting on a slight downhill was beneficial. I slowed slightly on the uphill segment but overall felt good. I finished the first loop in 25:12. Again the slight downhill starting the second loop allowed me to pick up the pace a bit. Near the end of the incline part of the second loop, my heart rate had crept into the 170 bpm area and I took a 20 second walk to get it back into the 160's. I have a hard and fast rule regarding my heart rate. I walk if it climbs into the 170's. I was okay for the rest of the race. While I was walking, I was passed by a lovely young lady wearing a pink top. I kept her within 100 metres as we continued over the last 2 1/2 km. I slowly gained on her and passed her about 9 1/2 km in. I didn't get a chance to thank her for being the impetus for a good finish. I really worked on the last couple km and ended up with a second loop time of 24:33. Chip time for the 10K was 49:45 , good for first in my age group. ( I think that I was the only one! )
This is, as was the Canada Day 5K, an excellently organized run and I would enter either of them again. Their finisher medals are the best 5K and 10K medals I have seen. Both have great spinning centres.
So I finally cracked the 50 minute 10K barrier just 2 1/2 weeks after getting under 25 minute for the 5K and a month after getting my previous 10K PB. As I have been entering 5 and 10K races this summer to help me with my speed, that plan appears to be working!!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Dashing Through Downtown Burlington

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:04 pm

Yay Ken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sucks you aren't the Ontario masters champion too. But you will be.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:48 pm

That's great times Ken! Congrats.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:05 am

Never cease to amaze, Ken.
Great job!
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:12 am

Wow. Just wow. Too bad about the shift of the masters event though!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:31 am

:clap: ^:)^
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:29 am

purdy65 wrote:Wow. Just wow. Too bad about the shift of the masters event though!

+ 1

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:01 am

:dance: :dance: :dance:
IMC 2015

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:28 pm

Congratulations Ken! That was an excellent time, especially the 24:33 for the second 5K. Well done!

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:04 pm

Impressive! Congrats :)
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:42 am

Congrats on the sub 50:00 10K Ken that's awesome. I find double loop 10K races tough (I find 10K races tough lol). Nice work on another great race.

c_mcpeake
Johnny Miles

Postby c_mcpeake » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:21 am

Congrats on the new PB. Great race!
2014 races (this year)
June 22 Mohican 100m, July 5 Creemore 50k, July 12 Limberlost 56k, Aug 8 Dirty Girls 48hr, Sept 6 Haliburton 100, Oct 11 Oil Creek 100m
coaching site: http://www.candcrunningfactory.com/
personal blog: http://www.chrismcpeake.blogspot.ca/

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:11 am

While I was walking, I was passed by a lovely young lady wearing a pink top. I kept her within 100 metres as we continued over the last 2 1/2 km.

I guess the Tortoise has become the "Hare" and now is looking to be chasing down "Carrots" .. :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty:

Oh yeah, Congratulations, Speedy ... :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Return to “Run/Race Reports”