Marathon rules

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Fuzzuki
Percy Williams

Marathon rules

Postby Fuzzuki » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:38 am

I am thinking about doing my first half marathon.
I want to enter the Good life Marathon starting at Mel Lastman square. I like the event because the course will be mostly down hill.
I have a few questions about entering.

I feel that the entrance fee is OK considering what you get for your money. However, when I told my case worker about entering, she said a few things about injuries and such leading up to the event.
Which leads me to my first question. Is it possible to get your entrance fee back if you are injured and cannot race?

What if I start the race with too much clothing and decide to throw an article of clothing to the side to get rid of it? Is it lost forever?

Like if the race starts in the rain, then clears up half way through. I am not going to want to run with my waterproof jacket on if the sun had came back out. Waterproof running clothes are expensive.

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Re: Marathon rules

Postby toobusy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:53 am

Typically you would not get your money back after you register. Sometimes you can sell your bib and make some back that way.

If you throw away something on the race course, it's gone. It can be tricky to dress right, it takes practice

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:51 pm

It takes some practice figuring out what to wear on race day, especially in the spring and fall when the weather at the start can be much colder than at the finish. Get some throwaway clothes, or even garbage bags work to keep you dry and warm before the race.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Fuzzuki
Percy Williams

Postby Fuzzuki » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:15 am

The rules state that they discourage use of headphones. How many runners race with them?

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:27 am

Fuzzuki wrote:The rules state that they discourage use of headphones. How many runners race with them?

Lots
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:33 am

Habs4ever wrote:
Fuzzuki wrote:The rules state that they discourage use of headphones. How many runners race with them?

Lots

They just put that in to cover their butts in the event that someone is hurt (or whatever) due to them not hearing instructions while wearing headphones.

It's funny, people used to have such strong opinions (mostly against) wearing headphones in races, and we used to have some really heated debates on the topic on here back in the early days. But lately it's been a non-issue since everyone has just accepted it as a normal practice.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Return to “Run/Race Reports”