I think I lost my mind - ORW Marathon

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Bruce Kidd

I think I lost my mind - ORW Marathon

Postby newbie » Tue May 31, 2016 7:36 am

I said that when I began running that I would never do a marathon, well with some encouragement and a lot of peer pressure I signed up for the clinic and then the marathon. Up to this point the farthest I had run was 22k and that was a struggle. We ended up training in the 5:00 group since that was slowest group in our clinic. Of course we had one of the worst winters for training and nothing could have prepared us for the heat of race day. Up till 3 weeks ago I wasn't even sure if would be able to complete the race. We had done our long training runs but I hadn't made it to 32k, the day of the 32k I killed it and there was no doubt I would finish.

The morning of the race I was nervous since I had no idea what would happen with the heat, I don't do well with the heat. I started out with my 2 running partners and we took it slow staying with the 5hr bunny, it became obvious at about 5k that we would not be able to sustain that pace so we dropped back with 5:30. At around 8k we decided we needed a bathroom break, the girls wanted to catch the 5:30 bunny so we picked it up to a 7 pace and made it about 2k when I decided that was enough and slowed down. I told the girls to go on and I would catch them later, we never met again. I was having severe shin pain at that point and decided to walk it out. I made to the tunney's water station where I met all of my running room people and also MaryAnne my 5hr group leader. She was having a hard time as well so we decided to stick together and push each other.

Things went fairly fine, alternating running and walking. The heat wasn't too much of a factor as I was pouring water over my head at every water station and ran through every hose. Once we hit rockcliffe I knew something was wrong as I started getting bad stomach cramps, they would come and go every 2-3 mins, Once I hit coloniel by drive I was in doubt if I would finish since I couldn't walk let alone run. We met one of the xtra mile crew she saw me and came over to help, it was my friend Cecile. She walked with us to the 800 metre mark where I knew I had to find a bathroom or I would be done. I stopped in a porta potty that didn't look too bad, and after 5 mins felt fine. MaryAnne had finished and came back for me, we ran it in and I crossed the finished line upright and smiling. The announcer called out my name and I was a marathoner. It took me 6:38, not a pretty time but I finished and in the worst conditions they have seen for that race.

I guess I will have to come back next year
Next up:

Feb 2015 - Castaway Key 5k
March 2015 - St. Patrick's Day 10k
May 2015 - ORW 1/2 Marathon

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Re: I think I lost my mind - ORW Marathon

Postby deerdree » Tue May 31, 2016 10:12 am

i can't imagine facing those conditions for my first marathon (or any marathon, really). well done!!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue May 31, 2016 11:22 am

Congrats Newbie!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Tue May 31, 2016 11:35 am

Well done! :dance:

Heat does weird things to the inside of our bodies. It was smart running through every hose, as external cooling is just as important as internal cooling. Odds are, the GI distress you had was related to the heat.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue May 31, 2016 1:36 pm

Wow that's awesome!! Congrats on your first marathon, and in those conditions! You can do anything after that.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue May 31, 2016 3:32 pm

No one really forgets their first marathon, and I'm sure you will remember it even more because of the crazy conditions.
Congratulations.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue May 31, 2016 3:59 pm

Congratulations!!!! YOU ARE A MARATHONER!! :dance:
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:26 pm

Congratulations marathoner!
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:34 am

Fantastic race report, you really explained how it wasn't just the goal but the community of runners that made the effort together.

A hot day and you did it!!

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:01 pm

Congratulations Marathoner!!! Especially given the conditions that were presented to you on race day.

daddy_runner wrote:Heat does weird things to the inside of our bodies. It was smart running through every hose, as external cooling is just as important as internal cooling. Odds are, the GI distress you had was related to the heat.
I can attest to this, my most recent marathon failing had to likely be due to the heat. I was hit with weird & intense stomach cramps at about 33K and they almost did me in. I'm guessing a combo of the heat in Vancouver on race day, the lack of hydration and possibly an electrolyte imbalance had something to do with this. Though I was drinking my fair share of both, or so it seemed.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:20 pm

Congratulations, Marathoner!!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”