MEC Fall 100 K ride

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Dstew
Bill Crothers

MEC Fall 100 K ride

Postby Dstew » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:24 pm

Last Saturday I went on a 100 K ride hosted by the Mountain Equipment Co-op from Turner Valley up towards the Highwood pass - the highest paved road in Canada. There was a 160 K option that made it to the summit of that pass and much more relaxed 60 K ride. I was a little nervous for although my 60 K rides were "easy" and I could hammer it on the way back home, the 80 K rides were more challenging. I had never ridden with a group and there was the anxiety that at the mass start I may tip over and fall or ride into another riders. A fear that was shared by experienced riders as it turns out.

I had a draft of a blow by blow description of the ride but decided that was not in keeping with the spirit of the event nor the epiphany I had in the days that followed. My running and subsequent racing has always been very individualistic and with more then hint of self absorption and narcissism. The slogans and guiding principles were if you do not suffering, if not in pain then it was not worth doing. And with that an almost compulsive need to share the progress of my training and a very detailed account of the actual race. What the ride showed me was that there is nothing wrong with preparing for such a ride to be the best cyclists I can be but in that moment and without unnecessary pain and suffering. That you can be very good at cycling, get off your bike, stretch your legs, take a look around at the surroundings and then resume the ride as other riders did but I did not to the full extent I could have or should have. That one, if feeling good and strong attempt to chase down that guy in the red jersey in front of you but gracefully accept being passed by a stronger rider.

Near the end of the ride, I was dueling it out with another rider but within reason and in a civilized manner. In the process, we were passing a number of other cyclists. In a running race, this would have been exhilarating and exciting and joyful. Instead, I was pleased I was as strong as I was at that point but I took no pleasure in passing others. I had been very fortunate to be able to be a part of a number of pace lines going out and where I was able to pick up some very valuable lessons from cyclists much better then I and so by the end, it was no longer me versus the field but that this was a great "group" experience.

I just happened to be the 21st person across the line. No results were recorded or published and so I have no idea how I fared against my peers or the field but nor did it really matter. If anything, there was a sense of relief, a burden of expectations permanently removed as other then a handful who did race, whether I finished 4th or last, the more important thing was did I have a good and fun ride. There is no reason I cannot apply that to my running. This is not to say I will not push or test myself on occasion. That I will just jog around the marathon course but that going forward I hope to keep some perspective. At the risk of grossly wondering off point, at one time I would pay $500 to gain 10 yards on my driver. Bloody and battered feet with leg muscles ripped to shreds to take off 5 or 10 seconds from my marathon pace. At one time, that was important to me. Now, it is I can still be covered in sweat with some acute pain and stiffness but was it fun and now quickly will I recover.

I have to highly recommend anyone who has the opportunity to do such a ride do so. As noted, there are a handful of riders who are going to treat this as a race. But I would say the vast majority may still ride hard but keep things in perspective that this is suppose to be a fun hobby and a nice way to see the country side. Thus there is no "wrong" way of completing the ride. Hammer up the hills or slowly climb them. Stop at every aid station and linger or make a quick stop or pass them. Ride on your own and join up with an ad hoc group as it passes you. Attempt to break away or let the group go. Or all of the above. For me, it is a mind set that is foreign and yet has come at exactly the right time in my life so that I can fully embrace it.

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Re: MEC Fall 100 K ride

Postby Ken B » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:54 am

Congratulations! Nice report - thanks!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Re: MEC Fall 100 K ride

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:34 pm

You had me at "highest paved road in Canada" :dance:

Good stuff.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Return to “Run/Race Reports”