Commander's Challenge 2016

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Ken B
Lynn Williams

Commander's Challenge 2016

Postby Ken B » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:35 pm

I signed up for this event because I was asked to join my friend BumbleG and her sister Jean. BumbleG has had many health problems with her legs and feet. She ended up walking both the 5K and the half-marathon. One tough lady. Her sister also did well but indicated that the heat was an issue for her, especially for the latter stages of the half marathon.
Prerace:
Mrs. Tortoise, BumbleG, and I drove to Ottawa on Friday. The drive was uneventful and we checked into our hotel near the Bytown Market. BumbleG went off and joined Jean. . Mrs. Tortoise and I met my nephew and his wife for supper at a local East Side Mario's. The spaghetti was sub standard and I didn't eat much of it. Another rime, we will choose anther pasta restaurant.
On Saturday we picked up my race packet which included three long sleeved technical shirts. In the afternoon we visited the Canadian Museum of Nature. It was very good. Then as it was pouring rain we took a cab to Darcy McGhee's Irish Pub for supper with BumbleG and Jean. Afterward it was still raining so we took a cab back to the hotel
Race Day:
I was able to sleep in until about 7 AM. I left the hotel to walk the 15 minutes to the start area at 7:30. It was about 19 C and cloudy. The 5K race start was 8:00 AM. Just before the start, the sun came out and it was sunny for most of that race. I settled into a 5:30 pace and took no walk breaks. The course is very nice with no major hills, although it has a steady incline at the end. I finished in 27:15 and felt pretty good. After getting my dog tags from a Canadian soldier I headed out to the city hall area to wait for the half marathon start. Unfortunately my legs stiffened up quite a bit in the hour or so time between the finish of the 5K and the half start. It had clouded over but again the sun came out for the half marathon.
I was in the third wave for the half start and we crossed the start line at about 9:40. My legs felt heavy and stiff for the first couple of kilometres. I was maintaining a 5:35 min/km pace. I started feeling the heat about then and slowed my pace a bit. By the time I crossed the 10K timing mat, I was definitely feeling uncomfortable. My average pace was slowly inching up. After crossing the 15K mat, I started feeling light headed and a bit dizzy. I switched from my 10 and 1 pattern to 4 and 1. I continued like that until I experienced stomach cramps just before the 19K marker. I haven't had that experience since the PEC last September. I pretty much walked the rest of the way until the final 200 metres. Total time 2:21:15 for a total time for the two races of 2:48:30.
Placing:
5K:
Overall - 2034/14,293
Men - 1516/6205
Age Group - 2/49

Half Marathon:
Overall - 3738/8857
Men - 2392/4524
Age Group - 7/24

Commander's Challenge:
Overall - 794/2114
Men: 534/1149
Age Group - 2/5

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Re: Commander's Challenge 2016

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:10 pm

Way to go Ken, that's a great result!! Enjoyed following along with the tracking.

What's that big round thing they gave you? Do you hang it up?

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:01 pm

Thats a lot of swag ya got there!
Good job.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:32 pm

Cool swag. I'm glad you were able to finish despite feeling light headed. Good job.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:09 pm

congratulations! impressive results on what was not an easy day!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:18 pm

Congratulations :)
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:42 pm

I agree--great job under tough conditions, indeed. Well done!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:53 am

The big round thing is sort of a plate. It has spaces at the back to stick in the dog tags. There seems to be no way to hang it. I haven't figured out how to display it other than those plastic photo display thingies! :)

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:06 am

Inspirational for someone who is starting to face/ come to grips with some age imposed limitations and restrictions. Just bought a book Fast after 50 and although everything in that book seems to be nice in theory, it is extremely reassuring to have a real life example to read about.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:15 pm

Congratulations Ken ... it appears that we may have ran, err: walked the same race? Ha!! Sure was kinda stinking hot and humid at 20c / 35c hunidex, eh!!

The hour between the end of 5k and start of the half just allowed the legs to stiffen up, eh!!
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:33 pm

HCcD wrote:Congratulations Ken ... it appears that we may have ran, err: walked the same race? Ha!! Sure was kinda stinking hot and humid at 20c / 35c hunidex, eh!!

The hour between the end of 5k and start of the half just allowed the legs to stiffen up, eh!!

Yep! We weren't likely too far apart for much of either race. Yes, my legs definitely felt the hour between the races. Maybe next time I will slow down on the 5K. :)

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:55 am

Ken B wrote:The big round thing is sort of a plate. It has spaces at the back to stick in the dog tags. There seems to be no way to hang it. I haven't figured out how to display it other than those plastic photo display thingies! :)

What about one of those decorative plate stands? It's nice...I was curious though, what it was :) Well earned

Return to “Run/Race Reports”