Does anyone take protein supplements ?

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
paulg
Tom Longboat

Does anyone take protein supplements ?

Postby paulg » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:19 pm

I realize we can get most of what we need if we eat right ( I tend to have a sweet tooth-kids hide their candy :oops: ) but has anyone tried protein powders or supplements
and do you think they actually help ( I don't mean carb type supplements, just the protein for body repair although I realize they may overlap )? What happens if you take in too much protein ?

Thanks,

Paul

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:05 pm

I've been wondering a lot about that lately. My son 17 is going nuts about protein since he's been going to the gym for the past 2 years. He will drink a protein mixture after every workout. All he wants to eat now is big juicy steaks...mind you the freezer is full of moose meat!! :twisted:

What's in that mixture is still a mystery to me and do we really need that on top of what we already eat?

I guess I'm not answering your question ....ha!

I'm anxious to hear what the pro have to say about that!

Helene :wink:
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

Monk
Bruce Kidd

Postby Monk » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:30 am

Good question, I have rather wondered too about powdered supplements...
I used to take the stuff too, when I would like to put on a few pounds.. (never worked for me...) and I know that when I get too much vitamins from my vit supplement, I "pass" the stuff I don't metabolize (at least thats what I think is going on...).
Do we have any experts in the house? 8)

hmmm. maybe I should read up on this stuff....

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:01 am

I ghave a smoothing after my run....within 30 min of finnishing. I make my own smoothie, and ad a Presidents choice Prot. pwder to the mix....I find muscle repair is quicker, but does not change you into the hulk or superman.

Prior to that, I used to have a can or two of BOOST right after my runs wich really helped muscle recovery.

My 2 cents!

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:19 am

I have a protein drink after working out. I mix PC protein powder (just one scoop, not the two they suggest) with some chocolate soy milk. Works for me!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:36 am

LaDeChat wrote:I have a protein drink after working out. I mix PC protein powder (just one scoop, not the two they suggest) with some chocolate soy milk. Works for me!

Hey La....great minds think alike!

Man your good!

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

paulg
Tom Longboat

Postby paulg » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:36 am

I have boost as well on occasion. I think I will try the chocolate
soy drink with some of the protein powder. I had heard somewhere that
chocolate milk itself is a good recovery drink as well.

Dani
Jerome Drayton

Postby Dani » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:53 am

Every once in awhile I have a protein bar at work Especially if I just had a hard run and I haven't eaten in a bit.
I used to run. All the time.
Now? Notsomuch.
I'm still a runner, though.
Life is fluid and ever changing. I am too.

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:57 am

LaDeChat wrote:I have a protein drink after working out. I mix PC protein powder (just one scoop, not the two they suggest) with some chocolate soy milk. Works for me!

So in what section of the grocery store we can find PC protein powder? Is it flavored or just something to had to a drink? How much is it for a certain amount? My son here buys this powder stuff and the price on that is outrages!!

Helene

Ironman Cozumel 2014

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:11 am

I used to go through a lot of protein powder in my weightlifting days, and definitely found it beneficial from a muscle repair standpoint. Unfortunately weight management is a major factor for me, so I cut it out since I started running 5 years ago. You have to really keep in mind the extra calories you're adding to your daily total. These days, after a weightlifting session, I eat a can of tuna (nothing added) as soon as I get home. It gives my 28-30 grams of protein with only 130 calories.

I remember seeing Dr J post something about the dangers of powdered milk, and wonder if this is also an issue with whey protein powder. Is the Dr in the house?

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:09 am

North of 60 wrote:So in what section of the grocery store we can find PC protein powder? Is it flavored or just something to had to a drink? How much is it for a certain amount? My son here buys this powder stuff and the price on that is outrages!!

I get it in the "Meal Replacement" section of the drug store at Loblaws. It's $11.99 for a can (not sure how many servings in a can, but lasts me a fair time). They have chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. You can mix it with milk or any other beverage (to taste, that is). I'd have to check the package to see what the protein/calorie count is. Keep in mind this is soy protein (not whey), so if you are sensitive to soy (i.e., estrogens, etc.), then it might not be the right thing for you.

BMan wrote:Hey La....great minds think alike!

Man your good!

Yes, sometimes I think that you are my evil twin :twisted: As well as Andy and BJH - we always seem to be on the same page.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:26 pm

LaDeChat wrote:
North of 60 wrote:So in what section of the grocery store we can find PC protein powder? Is it flavored or just something to had to a drink? How much is it for a certain amount? My son here buys this powder stuff and the price on that is outrages!!

I get it in the "Meal Replacement" section of the drug store at Loblaws. It's $11.99 for a can (not sure how many servings in a can, but lasts me a fair time). They have chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. You can mix it with milk or any other beverage (to taste, that is). I'd have to check the package to see what the protein/calorie count is. Keep in mind this is soy protein (not whey), so if you are sensitive to soy (i.e., estrogens, etc.), then it might not be the right thing for you.

BMan wrote:Hey La....great minds think alike!

Man your good!

Yes, sometimes I think that you are my evil twin :twisted: As well as Andy and BJH - we always seem to be on the same page.

Thanks for the info Ladechat! :D

Ironman Cozumel 2014

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”