Sodium Intake - Should I Care?

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
dgrant
Lynn Williams

Sodium Intake - Should I Care?

Postby dgrant » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:58 pm

Since I started long-distance running I've been watching what I eat much better, but one thing I haven't cared about is how much salt I'm eating in stuff like soups and sauces and meats. Since I specifically take gels and Gatorade to supplement my sodium levels, am I okay to eat all the salt I want?

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:20 pm

Yep...I think you should care...

I do not salt my food...and this summer have had alot of difficulty with cramps...feet...legs...chest area...yep...

When I talked to my coach about this he said I might consider salting my food at least the week before an event...

A couple weeks ago I had a scarey thing happen...woke up in the middle of the night with cramps across my chest area..I was freaked ...thought...holy smokes ...am I having a heart attack (unlike you young ones I'm in the age category that you start thinking about stuff like that :shock: )

Saw my doctor...he will be sending me for a stress test in the Fall...to put me at ease...but he (BTW he's a runner) is pretty sure that this is a potassium/magnesium problem. BTW...this is the same doc who told me a year and a half ago when I went to see him cuz I had the "runs" that I was not getting enough protein in my diet for the amount of running I was doing...he was right. You just gotta love your doctor who is a runner too...I am blessed!

You do have to monitor salt intake...not too much...but also...not too little.

Joanne

C-Moss: I love salt...that's how come I wish Joanne would feed me potatoe chips...she won't :oops: :cry:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:33 pm

Not everyone has to worry about salt-intake--some people's bodies are more sensitive to excess salt and can't excrete it properly, leading to high blood presure issues. Just monitor your blood pressure regularly; if it's normal then you generally don't have to worry about salt-intake. But as we get older, we can become more salt-sensitive, so as Jo said, it's important to keep an eye on it.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Scott
Bill Crothers

Postby Scott » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:38 pm

Dr. J, would keeping well hydrated throughout the day help to excrete the excess salt?

Scott

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:44 pm

Theoretically yes, but like I said, some people are particularly sensitive to it and need to monitor their blood pressure.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

paulg
Tom Longboat

Postby paulg » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:14 pm

There seems to be so much sodium in much of the foods that is out there (processed). I looked at a bottle of flavoured water the other day, there were 6 items contained within it that I had to read very slowly to pronounce (flavour and preservatives). Thankfully, water was one of them :wink:

Paul

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:40 pm

I encourage higher Na intake the night before a marathon or big race over 10k. I'm not saying go out and pile it on, but throw some on your pasta, and enjoy. I personally don't really watch what I'm eating anymore. I eat when I hungry, and eat what I crave.
PB's: 5k: 16:40 10K: 34:59 21.1: 1:17:16 Marathon: 02:50:47
RUNNING MANIA #2

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”