Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby Dr. S » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:33 am

stampie wrote:
stampie wrote:My mom's recipe is also in French and if I were to translate it, I know I would loose something in translation since my French is weak at best. :lol: I’ve asked my mom to translate a few times, but she continues to say it is hard to make. Boy will she be surprised when I bring some over on Christmas day!

I finally got around to making a batch last night. It turned out great and has been put in containers for storage and also to surprise my mother with. That was way too easy to make. I remember my mom always being careful when she was cooking it, so that it did not turn to taffy. Ironically, she would always forget it and not cut it on time, so we had chunks of sucre à la crème.

BTW, my mom's name is Monique also. :lol:

I'm glad it turned out well! Told you it was impossible to mess up!

My Mom and my aunt's names are Monique LOL
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

LisaB
Bill Crothers

Postby LisaB » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:52 pm

fe.RMT wrote:Hm, I don't have a hand mixer, but I do have a Kitchen Aid...... but I"m worried that the cool metal bowl will cool the liquid prematurely before the icing sugar is all mixed. Anyone tried it?

I put mine in a cold kitchen aid bowl to mix and had no issues. It stayed hot for a long time for me. :D
Lisa
2012:
Resolution Run - 5km - done
Hypothermic Half - done
WPS Half Marathon - done
5km & Fargo Marathon - done - done
Air Force 5km - done
Manitoba Half Marathon - done
Try a Trail 6km - done
Lockport Half Marathon - done
Winnipeg 10/10 - 10km
Fire & Paramedic Half Marathon

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:31 am

LisaB wrote:
fe.RMT wrote:Hm, I don't have a hand mixer, but I do have a Kitchen Aid...... but I"m worried that the cool metal bowl will cool the liquid prematurely before the icing sugar is all mixed. Anyone tried it?

I put mine in a cold kitchen aid bowl to mix and had no issues. It stayed hot for a long time for me. :D

did you use the whisk attachment or the paddle? What speed did you run it at?
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:44 pm

I made this yesterday, and the texture isn't smooth, it's slightly grainy. Is that how it is supposed to be, or did I not boil it enough?

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:23 pm

licking the bowl right now

2013:

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:58 pm

I might have been the one to screw it up.

I waited the 15 minutes to cut it and when I ran my knife through it the top cracked and started pulling away from what was underneath and still soft and not quite set. Waited another 15 minutes and it's still soft underneath......I used the 35% cream

2013:

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:04 pm

FishPants wrote:I made this yesterday, and the texture isn't smooth, it's slightly grainy. Is that how it is supposed to be, or did I not boil it enough?

should be smooth- sounds like not all the sugar dissolved.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:04 pm

Jwolf wrote:
FishPants wrote:I made this yesterday, and the texture isn't smooth, it's slightly grainy. Is that how it is supposed to be, or did I not boil it enough?

I can try it again, I still have more ingredients!

I was worried at the beginning about the "little bubbles", so I don't think I let the brown sugar/butter cook long enough.

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:07 pm

FishPants wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

I was worried at the beginning about the "little bubbles", so I don't think I let the brown sugar/butter cook long enough.

It shouldn't be grainy at all. I would say it takes about 5-10 mins to get the little bubbles. Also, did you let it boil alone with the cream 5 mins?
Sonia

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:10 pm

fe.RMT wrote:I might have been the one to screw it up.

I waited the 15 minutes to cut it and when I ran my knife through it the top cracked and started pulling away from what was underneath and still soft and not quite set. Waited another 15 minutes and it's still soft underneath......I used the 35% cream

It's ok if it's not set at the bottom when you first put the knife in, so that the top section is done and then you wait until the bottom is set enough. Usually 15-20 mins is good for me!

The time it will take to set depends on the time that you hand blended it at the end. The closer you are to 5 mins, the faster it will set. If you only blend it 1 min it will take longer than 15 mins to set.
Sonia

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:19 pm

Dr. S wrote:
fe.RMT wrote:I might have been the one to screw it up.

It's ok if it's not set at the bottom when you first put the knife in, so that the top section is done and then you wait until the bottom is set enough. Usually 15-20 mins is good for me!

The time it will take to set depends on the time that you hand blended it at the end. The closer you are to 5 mins, the faster it will set. If you only blend it 1 min it will take longer than 15 mins to set.

OK, makes sense, I think I beat it for about 3 mins because I was afraid of overstirring. Do you know if incorporating air is important? I didn't use the whisk attachment and beat at very low speed.

2013:

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:35 pm

fe.RMT wrote:Do you know if incorporating air is important? I didn't use the whisk attachment and beat at very low speed.

I think it's fine if you're incorporating air since I beat it at the highest speed!
Sonia

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:38 am

Dr. S wrote:
FishPants wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

It shouldn't be grainy at all. I would say it takes about 5-10 mins to get the little bubbles. Also, did you let it boil alone with the cream 5 mins?

I did boil alone for 5 minutes with the cream :) It was the beginning I didn't let it go long enough. Also, my brown sugar was chunky, so I was breaking chunks up right until the end of that stage, which could have been a problem.

I will report back after I try again!

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:43 pm

FishPants wrote:
Dr. S wrote:
FishPants wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

I did boil alone for 5 minutes with the cream :) It was the beginning I didn't let it go long enough. Also, my brown sugar was chunky, so I was breaking chunks up right until the end of that stage, which could have been a problem.

I will report back after I try again!

The first stage where you are boiling the brown sugar/butter mixture takes time, be patient. You know you'll have got it when the mixture becomes a thick liquid type paste, then add the cream.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:36 pm

Done! silky smooth pieces of yummy

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:03 am

I tried again, and was very patient. Maybe I am not using the hand blender long enough, the candy is still kinda gritty, but it's the icing sugar texture.

It's good, but I dunno, it's not like crack. Maybe I am just not meant to make fudge.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:53 am

FishPants wrote:I tried again, and was very patient. Maybe I am not using the hand blender long enough, the candy is still kinda gritty, but it's the icing sugar texture.

It's good, but I dunno, it's not like crack. Maybe I am just not meant to make fudge.

When you say "hand blender" are you using an immersion blender (long skinny with a blade on the bottom) or a hand mixer/beater (with two beaters attached)? Those are two different things. An immersion blender won't give you the results you are looking for.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

LisaB
Bill Crothers

Postby LisaB » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:58 am

fe.RMT wrote:
LisaB wrote:

did you use the whisk attachment or the paddle? What speed did you run it at?

I used the whisk and turned it to 6 once it was mixed in and wouldn't powder up at me. Next time I will sift my icing sugar first.
Lisa
2012:
Resolution Run - 5km - done
Hypothermic Half - done
WPS Half Marathon - done
5km & Fargo Marathon - done - done
Air Force 5km - done
Manitoba Half Marathon - done
Try a Trail 6km - done
Lockport Half Marathon - done
Winnipeg 10/10 - 10km
Fire & Paramedic Half Marathon

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:32 pm

hand blender. I don't have an immersion blender.

I have come to the conclusion that the problem is me, not the fudge. I was expecting a different texture, but apparently, it has the texture it is supposed to.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:38 pm

FishPants wrote:hand blender. I don't have an immersion blender.

I have come to the conclusion that the problem is me, not the fudge. I was expecting a different texture, but apparently, it has the texture it is supposed to.

I would be more then happy to take your so called 2nds if you don't want them. :lol:
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:38 pm

My first batch of the year is cooling right now. I'll be sending some to my Secret Santa again this year! :D
Sonia

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:52 pm

Faaaaabulous, thanks for posting this!! I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find it. I'm making some on Saturday.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:58 am

I saw big stacks of bags and bags of golden sugar at the grocery store the other day. Guess there's a lot of demand at this time of the year. I thought of this goodie right away when I saw that sugar mountain! :lol:
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:16 pm

I thought of this thread last night as one of the recipes on "Recipes to riches" was this one! I don't know if she won or not (I got bored and went to bed), I'm certain that it was the same recipe. You could have been rich Dr. S!

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:28 pm

Kristi wrote:I thought of this thread last night as one of the recipes on "Recipes to riches" was this one! I don't know if she won or not (I got bored and went to bed), I'm certain that it was the same recipe. You could have been rich Dr. S!

No, the lady with the sucre à la creme did not win. Apparently, it is a difficult recipe to make properly in huge batches. Her large batch came out all grainy. She was runner-up though.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”