"organic" food

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Re: "organic" food

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:17 pm

ultraslacker wrote:I couldn't do the ones where I don't get to choose my own. I'm too picky.

For my spud.ca orders I have not been ordering anything really perishable because the delivery for my area is on Tuesday and I go back to work on Wednesday so produce would sit for days and just be wasted. So I've mostly been ordering dried and frozen stuff... which is still good because I'm stocking up my freezer! :)

For an extra 5 dollars, you can customize the box. I have our box set to standard, but, when I get the email on Monday, if it's not going to work for us, I change it to custom and change it up!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

carm
Bill Crothers

Re: "organic" food

Postby carm » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:43 am

The basket sounds good, although I'm thinking that DH and I would need a bigger basket. Damn, we go through a lot of veggies. Do they come in a larger size, or do you guys supplement with farmer's market produce?
Carm

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:05 pm

carm wrote:The basket sounds good, although I'm thinking that DH and I would need a bigger basket. Damn, we go through a lot of veggies. Do they come in a larger size, or do you guys supplement with farmer's market produce?

They come in all different sizes. I have the one for 2 people and rarely have to supplement from the store. (Only if I need a lemon for something or an extra bunch of lettuce). Here's the link: www.lifeorganic.ca You can add on too, they have a list of individual items available each week.

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:15 pm

Tori wrote:
carm wrote:The basket sounds good, although I'm thinking that DH and I would need a bigger basket. Damn, we go through a lot of veggies. Do they come in a larger size, or do you guys supplement with farmer's market produce?

They come in all different sizes. I have the one for 2 people and rarely have to supplement from the store. (Only if I need a lemon for something or an extra bunch of lettuce). Here's the link: http://www.lifeorganic.ca You can add on too, they have a list of individual items available each week.

Cool. I've seen several services through Savour Ottawa, so maybe next year, I can get a CSA or veggie delivery going. I've had Roots and Shoots produce before and noticed that they have a CSA waiting list for 2013. They are located just a couple km from my house.
Carm

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:58 pm

I have a lot to say on this topic (i know, shocking for those of you who know me :roll: ).
I think the interesting thing I have noted from this topic is the 'what is in it for ME' aspect of organic (not in a bad way, I know we all have to spend our own $$ wisely). There are many different reasons to buy organic. For instance, I buy organic and fair trade bananas because of the social justice aspects of the food system (and the horrors that banana companies perpetrated in Central America), not because of the health benefit for my family (bananas are easy because there is no 'local versus organic' dilemma!). For other produce, I value knowing the farmer and what/how they are farming (eggs for example, how are the chickens treated?). Other produce it is about what is best for my family (the dirty dozen, although there are flaws in that list for sure). Anyway, it is a complex question all around.

btw- Some small and environmentally sustainable farmers believe that the 'organic' ideal has really been co-opted by corporate interests. If you are interested, I know a fabulous :wink: PhD thesis that discusses the value placed on certified organic versus 'beyond organic' in a case study in Toronto in one chapter.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:01 pm

pts wrote:I have a lot to say on this topic (i know, shocking for those of you who know me :roll: ).
I think the interesting thing I have noted from this topic is the 'what is in it for ME' aspect of organic (not in a bad way, I know we all have to spend our own $$ wisely). There are many different reasons to buy organic. For instance, I buy organic and fair trade bananas because of the social justice aspects of the food system (and the horrors that banana companies perpetrated in Central America), not because of the health benefit for my family (bananas are easy because there is no 'local versus organic' dilemma!). For other produce, I value knowing the farmer and what/how they are farming (eggs for example, how are the chickens treated?). Other produce it is about what is best for my family (the dirty dozen, although there are flaws in that list for sure). Anyway, it is a complex question all around.

btw- Some small and environmentally sustainable farmers believe that the 'organic' ideal has really been co-opted by corporate interests. If you are interested, I know a fabulous :wink: PhD thesis that discusses the value placed on certified organic versus 'beyond organic' in a case study in Toronto in one chapter.

I liked your post because it helped explain why I chose to shop at many of my local producers in the market.
Like you...I value knowing the farmer...and yes..I'm willing to pay at some times a premium price for this.

I have a bit more of a dilemna in the winter re buying imported product. My conflict comes from knowing that although I'm not keen on buying tomatoes from Mexico...there is likely a Mexican worker who depends on my buying these tomatoes...what to do??? :?

But in all honesty...I actually don't crave tomatoes in the winter...I'm one of those people who tends to want root veggies in the winter...and not salads. :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

OLRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby OLRunner » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:29 pm

I always buy organic eggs after I saw how the chickens are forced to live in crates piled on top of one another for the regular cheaper eggs. That is cruel.

I grew up on a farm, with chickens able to walk around as they liked.
"We still got a long way to go" Alice Cooper
"I don't wanna stop" Ozzy Osbourne

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:49 pm

OLRunner wrote:I always buy organic eggs after I saw how the chickens are forced to live in crates piled on top of one another for the regular cheaper eggs. That is cruel.

I grew up on a farm, with chickens able to walk around as they liked.

I used to work many years ago for CEMA (Canadian Egg Marketing Agency). I was their first financial internal auditor.
The first year I was there (1982) I was sent into the "field" so I would get an understanding of how the industry worked.

Ever walk into a barn with 25,000 chicken in little pens. It's a bit disturbing...at least for me it was.
Like you...I buy free range eggs.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:31 pm

then the eggs don't need to be "organic", but rather "free range", right?

we had chickens when I was a kid. Then they caught some disease and all but one died. That one faithfully laid one egg every day... but she was allowed to freely wander the farm so sometimes you had to go hunt that daily egg down. :lol:

I've decided that the organic quick oats are not as good... they seem more mushy or bland or something. Can't put my finger on it... but that's too bad because I eat a LOT of oatmeal!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:19 pm

ultraslacker wrote:then the eggs don't need to be "organic", but rather "free range", right?

we had chickens when I was a kid. Then they caught some disease and all but one died. That one faithfully laid one egg every day... but she was allowed to freely wander the farm so sometimes you had to go hunt that daily egg down. :lol:

I've decided that the organic quick oats are not as good... they seem more mushy or bland or something. Can't put my finger on it... but that's too bad because I eat a LOT of oatmeal!

I buy free range...from a client who sells at the farm gate, and also from a local vendor at the market. Neither is a certified organic farmer (as has been previously discussed getting the certification costs $$$).

btw..an egg a day sounds about right..if perhaps a bit higher than normal...if memory of "average rate of lay" is correct. Yes...I used to have to ask this question auditing provincial boards. I was always dealing with men...who were often about 20 years older than me...I got good at asking the question and then immediately saying..."no...I'm not interested in your personal rate of lay...I'm asking about your provincial egg production" :lol: :wink:

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:00 am

Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:11 am

Spirit wrote:http://sweatscience.runnersworld.com/2012/09/are-organic-foods-more-healthy/

I don't like what this statement implies:

"The studies identified pregnant women exposed to higher amounts of pesticides known as organophosphates and then followed their children for years. In elementary school, those children had, on average, I.Q.’s several points lower than those of their peers."

Who are the people more likely to eat organic food? Affluent families who are well-educated and can afford to eat organic. Therefore their kids are *already* more prone to higher IQs. It isn't likely to have anything to do with whether or not they're eating organic. :/

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:32 am

ultraslacker wrote:
Spirit wrote:http://sweatscience.runnersworld.com/2012/09/are-organic-foods-more-healthy/

I don't like what this statement implies:

"The studies identified pregnant women exposed to higher amounts of pesticides known as organophosphates and then followed their children for years. In elementary school, those children had, on average, I.Q.’s several points lower than those of their peers."

Who are the people more likely to eat organic food? Affluent families who are well-educated and can afford to eat organic. Therefore their kids are *already* more prone to higher IQs. It isn't likely to have anything to do with whether or not they're eating organic. :/

I haven't read the study, but usually in studies like this, things like income are adjusted for so that they don't affect the conclusions.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:33 am

Here's another interesting review of that organic food meta-study:
http://summertomato.com/organic-versus- ... onal-food/
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:39 pm

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/sci ... ood-fears/

A lot of organic supporters are up in arms about the recent Stanford study that found no nutritional benefit to organic foods. Stanford missed the point, they say—it’s not about what organic foods have in them, it’s what they don’t. After all, avoidance of pesticide residues is the #1 reason why people buy organic foods.

Yes, conventional foods have more synthetic pesticide residues than organic ones, on average. And yes, pesticides are dangerous chemicals. But does the science support paying significantly more for organic foods just to avoid synthetic pesticides? No.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:29 pm

eating my weekly dairy milk, I just noticed that the wrapper now has a Fairtrade Canada symbol on it (www.fairtrade.ca). had no idea! I didn't know that the big chocolate companies were doing the fair trade thing... good to know.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:55 am

I was curious about the difference between "free run" and "free range", so I googled it--here's the link if anyone else is interested! http://www.kitchensavvy.com/journal/200 ... -betw.html

eta: this one has more info - http://chicken.ca/on-the-farm/from_the_ ... r-choices/

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”