Vitamix Successes and Failures

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:30 pm

I know many of us now own Vitamix blenders. After coveting them for years, I finally got one at Costco this September during the road show. When trying to explain it to a friend who had no idea what a Vitamix is like, I told her that my blender could blend her blender. :lol: For those who don't know, Vitamix blenders are very powerful and can blend just about anything. They also have great motors in them so they can blend foods for 6-7 minutes at a time to heat it up to the boiling point. Start with cold foods and add ice, and you can make ice cream in a matter of moments.

I'm made some really good smoothies, an odd tasting pumpkin soup, some watery salsa, some amazing home-made Nutella, and a couple of batches of hummus. I also have the dry container so I can grind my own flour and ground lots of coffee at once. I haven't done much more with the dry container yet.

I figured that we should have a thread where we can discuss the good things and the bad things we've made, and just discuss things blender-related.

So... I made salsa tonight using the recipe from the Vitamix website (the same recipe from the cookbook, I think). I found that the tomatoes didn't blend nearly enough, but the other items blended really well - probably too well. Has anybody else tried making the salsa? How did it turn out?

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Vitamix Successes and Failures

Postby La » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:40 am

Good:
- My morning smoothie is "smoothier" than it ever was in my old blender.
- I've experimented with Green Drinks, which have all been pretty tasty.
- I made sorbet. Texture-wise it was fine, but need to play with the ingredients so that it tastes better.
- I made sweet potato and squash soup on the stove and used to Vitamix to blend it - it was velvety smooth!
- Clean-up is a breeze, too!

Not-so-good:
- I tried making soup in the Vitamix and I didn't really like it. For me, cooking is more than just "heating stuff up" - I like to brown or caramelize my ingredients to give them more flavour. I doubt I'll make "soup" in it again.
- I don't think I'd use it for its chopping capabilities. I'm pretty handy with a knife and like to have a bit more control over the things I chop.

I haven't really tried anything else yet. I have the large and small wet containers, but not the dry one.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:10 am

I'm with La, on all points.

I've also made Guacamole in my vitamix on several occasions...using the recipe from the cook book and using my own recipe. Both were great but I like my recipe better. But the guac was extra creamy which I liked.

I've used my Vitamix to whip cream in 3 seconds. That came in handy when making crepes and creme anglaise which both require a lot of attention, so to have my cream whipped in just seconds was convenient.

I don't have the dry container but I still grind flax (in small amounts) regularly.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:06 pm

i've had the salsa from the cookbook and it was great. i didn't make it, though, Lightning did. i'm too nervous about 'chopping'.

i love green smoothies.

from their cookbook, i loved the carrot ginger tofu soup and the "cream" of spinach soup (in both recipes, you sauté the veggies first).

i like the "ice cream" - cream, sugar, frozen fruit.

the only failure i've had was the first recipe i tried, where i threw veggies in willy nilly and tried to make a soup. :lol: that was when i learned to follow their logic. oh, and i tried an apple and romaine "smoothie" this morning that was more like a juice and not super appetizing. that was a random recipe i found online, though.

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:09 pm

I love my Vitamix! I've made lots of smoothies, and have experimented with including some green stuff in there. I actually really like the soups from the vitamin because it's so easy - I've made a few versions of a broccoli cheese soup and learned that you really must steam the broccoli first. That was a good lesson. I do use it for wet chopping - onions, cauliflower, cabbage and I feel like it has saved me a lot of time.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:47 pm

i think i might try this on the weekend. i'm intrigued!

http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2012/05/th ... wer-video/

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:17 pm

Dee- that's exactly how I do it. It's easy and quick and doesn't waste any cauliflower compared to hand grating.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:56 pm

a lot of the vitamix "success" comes down to technique and practice, i find. like getting the 4 mounds for ice cream! so, i'm going to keep practising this "chopping" thing. the majority chopped uniformly, but i had a couple of big chunks left in each batch. that didn't happen in the video. :lol: i also wasn't sure how long to drain it....

anyway, i'll call my cauliflower rice a moderate success. i used some of it to make cauliflower fried "rice" and it was pretty tasty.

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:25 pm

I just tried the guacamole recipe from the website. I used too much cilantro, and I added half of a jalapeño because I like my food spicier. I really liked it aside from the excessive cilantro.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:10 pm

Here's a yummy soup I just made. As I said, I don't use the Vitamix to do the cooking for me as all these ingredients were cooked when I put them in.

400g baked sweet potato (weight after baking, flesh only)
2 cups chicken (or veg) stock (adjust according to how thick you want it)
1/2 onion
1 clove garlic, smashed
1/2 bulb fennel/anise
Sautee the onion, garlic & fennel until soft and translucent (5 min)
1 tsp ground coriander (the dry stuff, not the leaves)
1/2 cup evaporated milk (you could use coconut milk or cream. Regular, soy or almond milk probably won't work)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Put broth in large blending container. Add all the other ingredients and blend on High until velvety smooth (about 5 minutes).

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:13 am

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:30 am

You get what you pay for.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:11 pm

Kristi wrote:I love my Vitamix! I've made lots of smoothies, and have experimented with including some green stuff in there. I actually really like the soups from the vitamin because it's so easy - I've made a few versions of a broccoli cheese soup and learned that you really must steam the broccoli first. That was a good lesson. I do use it for wet chopping - onions, cauliflower, cabbage and I feel like it has saved me a lot of time.

I love mine for chopping, I chop up sweet potato, carrots, and onions for my "scrambled eggs". Chops them up perfectly.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:26 am

I made pudding last night using coconut (the water and the meat from a Young Thai Coconut), an avocado, 1/2 cup cocoa, sweetener (I used honey and maple syrup - about 3Tbsp total. Agave nectar would work too), vanilla and a bit of cinnamon. I used a bit too much cinnamon but otherwise, it's yummy. Just blend it until it's pudding consistency.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:41 pm

I know this is for success and failure, but I really didn't want to start a new topic just for a Vitamix question.
Most of you bought on-line right? (I think). If we go to the States this spring do they sell these in stores that I could pick one up from or is it just on-line ordering?
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:47 pm

Habs4ever wrote:I know this is for success and failure, but I really didn't want to start a new topic just for a Vitamix question.
Most of you bought on-line right? (I think). If we go to the States this spring do they sell these in stores that I could pick one up from or is it just on-line ordering?

i bought mine at costco.

the "where to buy" should help you find a store! i put in buffalo and a few popped up (bed, bath & beyond, etc). https://www.vitamix.com/Where-To-Buy

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:00 pm

Thanks. :D I have 8 places to choose from in the city we are going to.

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:03 pm

I think we all got them at Costco. I also got the dry container and with taxes, mine was $660. The base plus the wet (normal) container was $500 + taxes and the dry container was $99 + taxes.

Every penny was well spent!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:47 am

Half-Mary wrote:I think we all got them at Costco. I also got the dry container and with taxes, mine was $660. The base plus the wet (normal) container was $500 + taxes and the dry container was $99 + taxes.

I think they're kind of like Apple products - the price is the price, you're not going to see them "on sale" anywhere. Usually the deal a retailer will offer is that they'll throw in an extra container or have an interest-free payment plan (like on the Shopping Channel).

I think I paid $579 (plus tax) when I bought mine at the Ex this year. I got a second cookbook the small (wet) container thrown in free.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:26 am

La wrote:
Half-Mary wrote:I think we all got them at Costco. I also got the dry container and with taxes, mine was $660. The base plus the wet (normal) container was $500 + taxes and the dry container was $99 + taxes.

I think they're kind of like Apple products - the price is the price, you're not going to see them "on sale" anywhere. Usually the deal a retailer will offer is that they'll throw in an extra container or have an interest-free payment plan (like on the Shopping Channel).

I think I paid $579 (plus tax) when I bought mine at the Ex this year. I got a second cookbook the small (wet) container thrown in free.

That's kind of what I was wondering, if going to the States and buying one would be cheaper.
Costco in Medicine Hat is having a demo from 2/20-3/3. I'll miss it by two days if I make it south in February.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:46 am

Buying it in the states would be much cheaper, based on Internet prices (not sure If they're higher in-store).

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:03 pm

I bought mine off the shopping channel

(and they have it in RED!) which went on special a few mths after I purchased mine.... :evil: red matches my kitchen.

LOVE LOVE mine, I make my smoothies like ice cream every day, I havent played with it enough to try different stuff, and keep meaning to watch the dvd. :lol:

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:06 pm

I need to expand my repetoire of recipes I make in it. I use my Vitamix mostly for smoothies and hummus. I want to find a better hummus recipe than the one in the book though. That one assumes that canned chick peas are used, but I don't always use canned chick peas. I also need to make sure I have all of the ingredients before starting a batch, too. I made some hummus on the weekend and discovered that I only had 1 tsp of lime juice, and not 1/4 cup! :x (I dislike lemon so I use lime instead.)

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:44 pm

This will be my next purchase... :)
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”