Do we really have a "choice" when it comes to our food?

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Do we really have a "choice" when it comes to our food?

Postby La » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:43 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Dave was looking for an example of something that was gradually banned.

Jwolf wrote:The bans are not about restricting personal choice by "freedom-haters", they are about your personal choice infringing on others rights.

In my experience saying that "This is not about X" usually means that its about X. Smoking bans are about restricting personal freedom. There's probably a pretty good argument that the restrictions are reasonable, but let's not be intellectually dishonest by pretending that its not about that.

So, are you saying that the smoking ban wasn't about reducing frequency of a behaviour that is harmful to the person doing and those around them, but was really just about taking people's freedom away?

You'd have made a better argument had you used the increasing powers of US Homeland Security as a result of 9/11.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Do we really have a "choice" when it comes to our food?

Postby La » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:52 am

Book Review: Salt, Sugar, Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us
http://www.weightymatters.ca/2013/07/bo ... r-fat.html
Moss’ skills as a world class investigative journalist shines throughout with him somehow obtaining quotes from former Coca-Cola executives noting that their marketing efforts boiled down to one question and one question only,

“How can we drive more ounces into more more bodies more often”,
and,

“teenagers became the battleground for early brand adoption,”
and, in regard to the food industry's "promise" not to market to kids under the age of twelve,

“magically, when they would turn twelve, we’d suddenly attack them like a bunch of wolves."
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”