Coconut Water/long run prep

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:52 am

Tried this yesterday with 3/4 coconut water and 1/4 cranberry juice for my 4 miles. I didn't need this for fueling purposes, but would normally take water regardless of the distance.

What do you guys use/do in preparation for a 2 hour run?
Not anywhere there yet and won't be for several months but curious.
I am a modified Paleo eater (or just no bread, rice, pasta and not for serious health reasons) but would love to hear about the night before meals and if you eat before a longer distance run.
I would probably survive on what my body has stored, and will try this leading up to increased mileage to see how I fare.
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Coconut Water/long run prep

Postby Jwolf » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:47 am

JSmitty wrote:What do you guys use/do in preparation for a 2 hour run?

For a 2-hour run I don't do any special preparation the night before; just a normal dinner. In fact I don't ever change my day-before eating.

In the morning I have my normal cheerios with skim milk, and I take with me a bottle of diluted Gatorade and two gels. This is what I did yesterday; works for me. :) For longer runs I refill water along the way and take more gels. But I guess it wouldn't work for the Paleo crowd.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:37 am

I CAN eat anthing, however I have found certain foods bother me. I will save this for another discussion.

How long can you go without anything but liquid? I am assuming that elites still take a sip of water.
If I eat sweet potato with coconut oil, salad and fish the night before will that sustain me on a run longer than 2 hours the next morning?
Can you train your body to look in fat storages rather than muscle for energy? (BTW, I am in no way a scientist, but hope those with knowlege can help)!
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:38 pm

If you're running at a low enough intensity, your body will use a greater proportion of fat to glucose, so - theoretically - you can run longer without refueling. You really have to test it out for yourself to see at what point you feel you need to take in calories to sustain you on a long run.

I've also heard that "fat burns in a carbohydrate fire" so if you run out of carbs/glucose, then your body won't be able to burn any of your available fat. It's like glucose is the "kindling" and fat are the big logs on the fire.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:53 pm

In cooler weather, I'll run up to an hour and a half without liquid. This likely isn't ideal, but it is what works for me. Once I'm over that distance, I'll carry carry water as well as Lara bars or gels or nuts and seeds bars, depending on what is in my stash when I start my run. I eat a light breakfast before heading out in the morning.

I don't eat special meals to prepare for my longer runs. I tend not to eat much pasta, potatoes or rice since it gets pretty easy to eat too much that way.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:56 pm

I normally don't take water until I'm running over an hour.

Your body shouldn't be burning muscle at all but will burn the glycogen (carbohydrate) stores from your liver and muscles. You will also burn fat stores if you run slowly enough but you burn a lot of stored glycogen (and blood glucose from digested carbs). If you severely limit carbohydrates then you can teach your body to burn fat earlier. That would also mean no gels or Gatorade while running.

I don't follow this diet so I don't know exactly how people make the transition when they are doing endurance training. I'm not sure if people on Paleo find that their speed suffers from having low blood glucose. So I'll let others contribute here. Also your brain needs glucose so you can't exclude it completely.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”