Nutrition and depression

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Nutrition and depression

Postby Jwolf » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:33 pm

I'm looking for advice about how I can deal manage depression with nutrition.
Yes, I've been medicated in the past, and I don't want to go back there.
I know my diet isn't terrible, but it's not great either. I could do with avoiding or at least limiting sugar and fatty foods and alcohol. Unfortunately these are often my vices.
Anything else less obvious?

Thanks.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Nutrition and depression

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:43 pm

I don't know how much white bread/buns you eat, but they can be highly addictive. I also don't know if they have any bearing in depression. I know if I eat simple carbs before bed (evening) I'll have a horrible night's sleep and part of managing depression is getting the right amount of sleep.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:48 pm

There are some ties to wheat/gluten and sugar (just trying to find the links/articles I was thinking about) but they aren't researched very well.

What you should eat: http://healthyliving.msn.com/diseases/d ... pressed-18

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... lwellnessc
Written by an MD who is one of the leading authorities on gluten/wheat sensitivities. The Wheat Belly may also touch on the subject a bit.
Last edited by MINITEE on Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:50 pm

I read about Omega-3 being a good defense against depression. Maybe eat more sources of it?
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:20 pm

Kelodie wrote:I read about Omega-3 being a good defense against depression. Maybe eat more sources of it?

any excuse to eat more sushi!! :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:11 pm

Thanks for the ideas and reminders. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:46 pm

Frequent, achievable goal setting has dopamine-related effects.

I try to make new recipes (or innovate a standby recipe in some way) basically everyday. Beyond the nutritional benefits of cooking healthy food, I find a tremendous satisfaction in bringing an idea (mine or someone else's) to reality. It's one small thing you can do frequently and you're more or less completely in control of it.

I have found this helps me.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:36 pm

IB used to have some pretty extreme mood swings (I wouldn't have said depression), but, he did get to some pretty low points.

It took me awhile to realize, but, after he started eating Paleo, those really low points have all but disappeared.

He used to have quite a bit of added sugar in his diet, so, that's a huge thing now. We had a weekend where we went to two parties - he ate a lot of cake....the next week was totally back to what it was like before......
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:25 pm

Here's my blog post about it

http://jamesmarvelous.blogspot.com/2012 ... paleo.html

And other than that one episode, I haven't felt that sad hopeless feeling since. Which seems weird, I was so used to it, it was a big part of me, but I've almost completely forgotten about it and what it was like.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:10 am

This is interesting. I've never thought about nutrition in relation to my depression.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:12 am

Alcohol is also a depressant.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:14 am

La wrote:Alcohol is also a depressant.

I just saw a study that claims there is no link, or at least the link is causal:

Booze doesn't cause depression

Plus this:
The researchers also debunked the myth that claims moderate alcohol consumption reduces the risk of depression.

(bolded "also" because I missed it the first time I read it and thought they got the headline backwards).

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:35 am

I don't drink alcohol if I'm already feeling very low because it makes me feel worse. But I do enjoy wine and I feel better because of that enjoyment (not to get drunk) if I drink moderately.

But I'm also thinking about the other possible causal effect from other foods. The studies you quote are interesting - but are there similar studies about diet, or are the results anecdotal? I know that diet doesn't cause the depression since I don't always have it, but I wonder if it contributes.

I would like to do the experiment on myself but cutting sugar and processed flour completely sounds like a stressful endeavour- and stress is the last thing I need.

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:50 am

Jwolf wrote:I know that diet doesn't cause the depression since I don't always have it, but I wonder if it contributes.

My "mood disorder" (if you can call it that) was cyclical, so I wouldn't be so sure about your above statement.

Jwolf wrote:I would like to do the experiment on myself but cutting sugar and processed flour completely sounds like a stressful endeavour- and stress is the last thing I need.

It's not that bad. The first week is a bit rough because of the cravings. The trick is to have your go to snack identified and on hand. My first was bananas with almond butter, then I switched to dates and cashews, now I always have bell peppers and pecans on hand. Also cheese, I haven't given up dairy but I have no lactose issues. In fact if I don't have a snack handy, my back up is a breve latte (made with half and half or coffee cream instead of milk) because it's yummy, and filling.

Granted, I say all that, but it never worked for IG. I don't think she "bought in" enough. If think you might try it, you'll need to commit to give it a go, that would make it easier.

And all of my info is anecdotal.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:15 am

Ha. No, I didn't buy in enough - for a few reasons - I don't actually think I need to make drastic changes to my diet....and, I felt like I needed to overcompensate - so, I ate way too much cheese and nuts to make up for not having my comfort foods. :P

I also don't eat enough fruits and veggies (and, eating Paleo didn't increase that for me).....so, I do need to work on that, but, it just didn't work for me.

Anyway, sorry for the little hijack. :P
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:26 pm

I recently read that eating foods high in antioxidants (blue berries, tomatoes, bright fruits/veggies) can help w/ depression but I can't remember where (maybe Chatelaine or Canadian Living).
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:42 pm

I've also read in multiple places (but don't ask me where) that bananas are a "happy food".
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:55 am

I don't believe that there are any "magic" foods (or evil foods, for that matter), but if you eat real food instead of processed crap, you're going to feel better overall. If you feel better physically, then it can have positive effects on your mood. My moods can be affected by my blood sugar, but that's not the same thing as clinical depression.

In terms of eliminating things (which I'm not really a fan of since it can be very difficult to sustain), most people would say that reducing the amount of added sugar (in all forms, not just the white stuff) is a pretty good place to start.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”