Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Ham roast dinner?

Postby La » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:27 pm

deerdree wrote:
La wrote:
deerdree wrote:
La wrote:Ham is "cured" as opposed to "cooked" so you're really just heating it through. You don't have to worry about the inside not being cooked if you take it out too soon. Worst case is it's not hot enough in the middle. It's not like turkey where you'd end up with raw meat in the middle if it were under-cooked.

even when it's coming straight from the farmer? isn't there a risk of trichinosis from undercooked pork?

If it's ham, the farmer isn't giving you a raw piece of pork meat! Ham isn't ham unless it's cured. So regardless of the temperature you heat it to, you're not "cooking" it, anyway.

I guess that's why I was confused because I wouldn't call a pig leg "ham". Would you brine a ham? But then I figured it was like sausage - you can buy fully-cooked and uncooked sausage, can't you?

(I don't eat pig unless it's bacon, hence all my confusion)

Ham is already brined, which is how it's cured. It can be cured with smoke or salt (or preservatives like nitrates, which is what's in most ham you buy at the grocery store, which is why it's bad for you).

Saussage is a totally different thing. Raw pork meat is used to make saussage, then some saussages are smoked or dry cured to create things like pepperoni and salami. But you can buy "raw" saussages, too.

"Ham" is always cured, otherwise it would just be a raw pork roast (which, obviously, has to be cooked before serving).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:35 pm

La wrote:
deerdree wrote:
La wrote:
deerdree wrote:
La wrote:Ham is "cured" as opposed to "cooked" so you're really just heating it through. You don't have to worry about the inside not being cooked if you take it out too soon. Worst case is it's not hot enough in the middle. It's not like turkey where you'd end up with raw meat in the middle if it were under-cooked.

even when it's coming straight from the farmer? isn't there a risk of trichinosis from undercooked pork?

If it's ham, the farmer isn't giving you a raw piece of pork meat! Ham isn't ham unless it's cured. So regardless of the temperature you heat it to, you're not "cooking" it, anyway.

I guess that's why I was confused because I wouldn't call a pig leg "ham". Would you brine a ham? But then I figured it was like sausage - you can buy fully-cooked and uncooked sausage, can't you?

Ham is already brined, which is how it's cured. It can be cured with smoke or salt (or preservatives like nitrates, which is what's in most ham you buy at the grocery store, which is why it's bad for you).

Saussage is a totally different thing. Raw pork meat is used to make saussage, then some saussages are smoked or dry cured to create things like pepperoni and salami. But you can buy "raw" saussages, too.

"Ham" is always cured, otherwise it would just be a raw pork roast (which, obviously, has to be cooked before serving).

okay, so since pts is supposed to shave and brine her pig leg, it's not a ham roast? it's just a pork roast?

eta: but then i found this online, which suggests that "ham" doesn't have to be cured: "Fresh ham = Unprocessed, uncooked ham. Most hams go through a curing process and are then called cured ham."

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:25 pm

deerdree wrote:
La wrote:
deerdree wrote:
La wrote:
deerdree wrote:

okay, so since pts is supposed to shave and brine her pig leg, it's not a ham roast? it's just a pork roast?

eta: but then i found this online, which suggests that "ham" doesn't have to be cured: "Fresh ham = Unprocessed, uncooked ham. Most hams go through a curing process and are then called cured ham."

I think it is this one... Not cured at all? And the farmer (or the butcher, Keith) has already given it to us (in the freezer from last seasons bulk order) so I think I am on de-skinning duty.

Smiles, do I have your cell #, I think I may need to call you or your aunt trix! 3 days until ham day!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:02 pm

Call me any time (though I'm not half the cook Trixiee is!!). You have my number :)
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:05 pm

You can call me anytime! :)
Sounds like it's more of a pork roast then? You must really love D to go to that length to cook something which to you, is so completely out of your comfort zone! :lol:

We had spare ribs, sweet potatoes and beans for dinner tonight! And watermelon (still from our garden - it was in cold storage) beans were from our garden too!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:13 am

I'll thrown in my 2 cents: I like cranberry sauce with a ham dinner. The tart-sweet-bitter flavour goes nicely with the salty ham. It adds some bright colour to the plate, too.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”